70 million reasons we won't be taken over at the moment

stozo

£70 million is the amount Ashley paid to clear the club debt. He'll want that £70m back as part of any deal to sell the club. Put simply the additional £70m Ashley would want just doesn't exist in the value of the club, so anybody who wants to buy is effectively paying £70m over the value of the club.

While the super rich may be looking to invest they won't pay £70m over the value of any club when there are several other options out there. So it would shock me if we were sold any time soon. 

70 million is fuck all to them oil rich Arabs

While I agree they are not stupid. They are not loyal to us and they are looking at business investments, so why would you pay that extra £70 million when Everton is probobly an equally attractive prospect.

While I agree they are not stupid. They are not loyal to us and they are looking at business investments, so why would you pay that extra £70 million when Everton is probobly an equally attractive prospect.

Because Everton don't have the stadium.

I assume Ashley didn't stump up an additional £70m and 'gift it' to NUFC to pay off the debts - well if he did, it is common sense that the company is worth £70m more, if he paid the £70m in cash, the value of the business per its balance sheet would automatically rise by £70m so they would not be overpaying - thats the true value of the business.

What is more likely is that Ashley re-financed the debt and it still exists in the holding company St James Holding.  In this scenario, Stozo you are right, they will have to pay that £70m as it is a debt of the business but it isn't a hidden amount over and above the real value - its called the business Enterprise value (the cost of the business debt free/cash free) and quite normal in leveraged buy-outs. 

This would be no surprise to a experienced buyer  - the issue is more whether a buyer can re-finance that £70m in the current banking market or whether they in turn would have to pay it themsleves ala scenario above where Ashley paid it out of his own pocket.  Thus it would only be the banking market which would make a purchaser have to pay £70m more than they would want to and that may put off some purchasers, particularly those focussed on short term returns.

70 million is f*** all to them oil rich Arabs

I think the asking price for the shareholding in Newcastle would be a lot more than the shareholding in EFC but when you add in our debts and stadium costs we'd end up being a more expensive proposition.

Guest kirkpatrick9

£70 million is the amount Ashley paid to clear the club debt. He'll want that £70m back as part of any deal to sell the club. Put simply the additional £70m Ashley would want just doesn't exist in the value of the club, so anybody who wants to buy is effectively paying £70m over the value of the club.

While the super rich may be looking to invest they won't pay £70m over the value of any club when there are several other options out there. So it would shock me if we were sold any time soon. 

Man city who get 30000 when mediocre went for 200million.

We have been the third highest being mediocre.

Our local fan base is massive, there is markets over seas that are untapped. The tyne corridor is the 6th most populus in Britain and I'm not even counting Northumberland and Co. Durham. And though we have Sunderland and Middlesbrough near by other clubs in areas with slightly bigger population have neighbours on their toes. For example in Mancher you have Man Utd and Man city. For Arsenal you have Spurs, and Chelsea. And in Liverpool which has a smaller population you have Liverpool and Everton.

Guest kirkpatrick9

Liverpool has a much bigger population than Newcastle. More than double.

The tyne corridoor has a population of 880000, liverpool has 430000

do you think the share price that ashley originally paid may have been skewed a little by the debt ?

Yes, Liverpool as a city is 430,000. Merseyside is 1.4m

Newcastle as a city is 190,000. Tyneside is 900,000.

Didn't Ashley get us at a reduced price (140m I think) because of the debt.  Add 70m to that and you get a figure of 210m add 10-20m for a profit for Ashley and you don't have an unreasonable price in my opinion.

Where are you taking Merseyside too?

Tyneside is a strange connurbation too, would you include South Tyneside in there? Do you go up to Morpeth (Northumberland)?

Likewise Merseyside, do you stop at St Helens and the Tunnels? Do you go to Southport or stop at Aintree?

Newcastle and Liverpool are difficult places to compare population wise as the geography around them are completely different, and places associated as being in Newcastle's 'sphere' spread much further in all directions than Liverpool, due in no small part to Liverpool being bordered by a Sea and having Manchester and Chester in close proximity

Those figures were for the official administrative boundaries of Merseyside and Tyneside, I assume it includes South Tyneside.

Anyway, forget the wider regions and surrounding geography, that wasn't brought up by me. I was only comparing it on a city-to-city basis at first, correcting somebody for saying Newcastle was a bigger city when it's clearly the opposite.

Guest kirkpatrick9

Those figures were for the official administrative boundaries of Merseyside and Tyneside, I assume it includes South Tyneside.

Anyway, forget the wider regions and surrounding geography, that wasn't brought up by me. I was only comparing it on a city-to-city basis at first, correcting somebody for saying Newcastle was a bigger city when it's clearly the opposite.

Where are you taking Merseyside too?

Tyneside is a strange connurbation too, would you include South Tyneside in there? Do you go up to Morpeth (Northumberland)?

Likewise Merseyside, do you stop at St Helens and the Tunnels? Do you go to Southport or stop at Aintree?

Newcastle and Liverpool are difficult places to compare population wise as the geography around them are completely different, and places associated as being in Newcastle's 'sphere' spread much further in all directions than Liverpool, due in no small part to Liverpool being bordered by a Sea and having Manchester and Chester in close proximity

Tyneside 880000

Liverpool Urban

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conurbations_in_the_United_Kingdom

Also would you include South Tyneside? The south tyneside I know is 70% to 90% NUFC.

Of course it does..  The value of the club when Ashley bought it was lower partially because of the debt, paying off that debt raises the value of the club.

Tyneside 880000

Liverpool Urban

Also would you include South Tyneside? The south tyneside I know is 70% to 90% NUFC.

:lol: I don't even know what "Liverpool Urban" is. That's just a made up boundary.

I've just had a look at the wiki link and it counts Birkenhead and the whole of the Wirral as it's own "Urban area" for some reason. That's like taking Gateshead away from Newcastle.

It's clear that you're just going to carry on ignoring the fact that the population of the individual cities is the opposite of what you claimed just because you don't like it so I won't bother debating this anymore.

Guest kirkpatrick9

Tyneside 880000

Liverpool Urban

:lol: I don't even know what "Liverpool Urban" is. That's just a made up boundary.

I've just had a look at the wiki link and it counts Birkenhead and the whole of the Wirral as it's own "Urban area" for some reason. That's like taking Gateshead away from Newcastle.

It's clear that you're just going to carry on ignoring the fact that the population of the individual cities is the opposite of what you claimed just because you don't like it so I won't bother debating this anymore.

The urban area is cited by the national office of statistics.

I'm not ignoring anything. In my original post I mentioned the tyne corridor.

And with regards to the tyne corridor, it is bigger in population. And it is slightly bigger in land than Liverpool urban, though not much. But with the tyne corridor it has not acknowledged populations of Northumberland and Co Durham, just like Birkenhead and the wirral was not included in Liverpool urban.

Guest black n white

exactly the reason  he has not spent a penny

But they also won't try and force you out when the manager walks out on the club.