Would you want Keegan back now?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

stabilising the debt inthe way in which he did it was stupid as it starved the team of investment in the short-term. it would've been far better to draw up a long-term plan to deal with the debt so that our transfer budget didn't take the hit, but that would've required a long-term commitment from Ashley, the kind of thing he shies away from in favour of "i woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, sell the club!"

It makes me sick and angry to think if it wasnt for Ashley acting like an arrogant arsehole, Keegan would be our manager and in all probability we would be playing entertaining attacking football and pushing for a Europa League spot this season. We are years and years away from that now.

Ashley has set the club back by a decade or probably more

Sorry to have to point out something so painfully obvious, but if it wasn't for Ashley we wouldn't have had Keegan as a manager in the first place. Or second place.

as a rebuttal this reply really makes no sense. brummiemag is correct to say that, were it not for Ashley acting like an arrogant arsehole, we'd still have keegan. Saying that he appointed him in the first place is not really relevant, as he wasn't acting like "an arrogant arsehole" when he did that. Brummie's contention is with that particular behaviour, not Ashley appointing KK in the first place. The fact that he appointed a good manager is a positive, but the negatives in acting as Ashley did after the appointment not only invalidate those positives but actually outweigh them to a much greater degree. It's like saying X had a good idea but when he put the idea into practice X messed it up terribly. Arguing that he had the good idea in the first place in no way excuses messing it up in practice.

You're wrong. Appointing Keegan was dumb. All that has happened afterwards was simply the playing out of the consequences of that initial bad decision.

Appointing Keegan in itself wasn't bad, as results on the pitch bore out. a bit of an eccentric decision, a risk, but not in itself bad. it had the potential to be both very good and very bad, which meant Ashley had to know what he was doing when he committed to Keegan. Unfortunately he got it very very wrong. it was failing to back him and failing to run the club professionaly that caused the gamble on Keegan to fail, but another owner could've made it work, certainly. after all, it's been proven in court that it was the club at fault in driving keegan away, not keegan himself.

i do think youre right to be skeptical of the decision though. was Ashley thinking objectively that keegan was the best candidate for the job or was he a bit soft in the head, thinking back to when he followed football in the 90s and trying to appeal to populism?

Anyway, surely Ashley's biggest mistake was not appointing Keegan but actually buying the club?  :lol:

the fact that were arguing about his "biggest mistake" speaks volumes in itself, he's made about a dozen huge, major ricks in his time here. One would be bad enough but he basically makes a gargantuan error every single time he has to decide something. pillock.

I don't want to see his greedy monkey face anymore.

Seriously this guy gave the toon a lot of good memories, but I am shocked at the reply "He's good, passion, good memories bla bla bla", it's like in the football you only know a manager and he's called Keegan.

Wake up mates, you have tons of managers out there with passion and better football tactical knowledge and most importantly they won't walk their ass off and leave the fans and team helpless. (Not to say I totally blame Keegan here, but I meant many other managers won't do this).

You're most likely a WUM but i shall humour you.

Could we have some names please ?

Are you implying that Keegan is the best manager there is?

I would guess not, so I'm assuming that you're implying that he's the best available to us. If so then how do you know that?

None of us know who'd be available to us, not even the club at this stage I'd expect, so all that the people who are wanting Keegan back are doing is pre-empting the result of that process, why? The answer can only be that they're letting their sentiment towards Keegan make them unwilling to consider anyone else.

That's not a good idea in my view and it's been one of the major factors in NUFC being in it's present state of turmoil. Shepherd allowed sentiment to influence his decisions and ended up buying players we couldn't afford, bringing in both players and managers based upon reputation rather than benefit to the team, trying for instant success rather than building something on solid foundations for the future, and that left the club in a perilous financial state when it didn't work. Ashley let sentiment influence his decisions and bought the club without finding out the true financial position of the club and then make the same mistake as Shepherd by appointing a manager to appease the fans when he wasn't in a position to give that manager what he wanted without considering the consequences of not doing so. Far too often crucial decisions have been made based upon sentiment rather than rational thought at this club and look where it's left us. Now is the time for that to end.

So basically what I want is for there to actually be a process to deciding the next manager and I want that process to result in us employing the best manager available to us at that time. At this point no-one can know who that is, we don't even know our options, let alone who amongst those options is going to be the best for the club. So, anyone who is certain about it at this stage is making a bit mistake and I only hope that whoever it is that will end up being responsible for making that decision doesn't think they know the answer already.

For the record, if after that process has run its course the decision is made that either Alan Shearer or Kevin Keegan is the best man for the job then fine, I'll be happy with that. I have to say that I doubt that either of them is the best available to us, but as with everyone else that's an opinion made without even knowing who the candidates are, let alone being qualified to decide between them. I also doubt that Keegan's even a candidate as I don't think he'd want to come back here after all this.

Basically what I'm saying is that I want a professionally run club from now on and you don't have a professionally run club if you make decisions as important as who the manager should be by saying: "This bloke's the only man for the job" without even considering who's available.

Although I agree with much of this, I think that if you look at the last 20 years or so, the only manager that NUFC have appointed who was the sensible considered choice and which wasn't based upon local bias or hero worship was probably Kenny Dalglish. It doesn't always work out. Our most successful managers in the modern era have been emotional appointments - Keegan and Robson. Although I accept Robson was a world class manager at the time, I think Shepherds decision to go for him was less for that and more for the local connection.

OK, lets also look at some history here on Keegan.

Remember the comments after the Chelsea home game where he admitted we werent good enough to compete with the best and KK was hauled down to London for a please explain>

Well, I bet the conversation went something like this:

MA: So, Kevin, we are not good enough to compete with the best?

KK: Thats right

MA: and what is your 3 to 5 year plan to make us compete with the best

KK; Lampard, Henry, Beckham and T

KK: Lampard, Beckham, Henry and Tom Finney

MA: Denissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Although I seriously doubt this actually happened, it wasn't complete fantasy. Beckham would have paid for himself in commercial revenue etc - it would have effectively been a free transfer. Henry was also not completely out of the question. Lampard however was never going to happen.

Remember the comments after the Chelsea home game where he admitted we werent good enough to compete with the best and KK was hauled down to London for a please explain>

I bet it went something like this

KK: We need to strengthen

MA: *fingers in ears* LALALALALALALALA.

keegan's targets were beckham, henry, ronaldinho and lampard. and stephen warnock. as well as bassong and guthrie. of course we know the last three are facts, but the previous 4 names are of the same calibre so it makes sense and i doubt the club would lie to us.

keegan's targets were beckham, henry, ronaldinho and lampard. and stephen warnock. as well as bassong and guthrie. of course we know the last three are facts, but the previous 4 names are of the same calibre so it makes sense and i doubt the club would lie to us.

;D

100% WUM

100% WUM

Probably, but you would have probably said the same thing when Keegan took over in 1992 and said we would be one of the top 3 teams in the country within 5 years!

Seriously this guy gave the toon a lot of good memories, but I am shocked at the reply "He's good, passion, good memories bla bla bla", it's like in the football you only know a manager and he's called Keegan.

Wake up mates, you have tons of managers out there with passion and better football tactical knowledge and most importantly they won't walk their ass off and leave the fans and team helpless. (Not to say I totally blame Keegan here, but I meant many other managers won't do this).

I would guess not, so I'm assuming that you're implying that he's the best available to us. If so then how do you know that?

None of us know who'd be available to us, not even the club at this stage I'd expect, so all that the people who are wanting Keegan back are doing is pre-empting the result of that process, why? The answer can only be that they're letting their sentiment towards Keegan make them unwilling to consider anyone else.

That's not a good idea in my view and it's been one of the major factors in NUFC being in it's present state of turmoil. Shepherd allowed sentiment to influence his decisions and ended up buying players we couldn't afford, bringing in both players and managers based upon reputation rather than benefit to the team, trying for instant success rather than building something on solid foundations for the future, and that left the club in a perilous financial state when it didn't work. Ashley let sentiment influence his decisions and bought the club without finding out the true financial position of the club and then make the same mistake as Shepherd by appointing a manager to appease the fans when he wasn't in a position to give that manager what he wanted without considering the consequences of not doing so. Far too often crucial decisions have been made based upon sentiment rather than rational thought at this club and look where it's left us. Now is the time for that to end.

So basically what I want is for there to actually be a process to deciding the next manager and I want that process to result in us employing the best manager available to us at that time. At this point no-one can know who that is, we don't even know our options, let alone who amongst those options is going to be the best for the club. So, anyone who is certain about it at this stage is making a bit mistake and I only hope that whoever it is that will end up being responsible for making that decision doesn't think they know the answer already.

For the record, if after that process has run its course the decision is made that either Alan Shearer or Kevin Keegan is the best man for the job then fine, I'll be happy with that. I have to say that I doubt that either of them is the best available to us, but as with everyone else that's an opinion made without even knowing who the candidates are, let alone being qualified to decide between them. I also doubt that Keegan's even a candidate as I don't think he'd want to come back here after all this.

Basically what I'm saying is that I want a professionally run club from now on and you don't have a professionally run club if you make decisions as important as who the manager should be by saying: "This bloke's the only man for the job" without even considering who's available.

Although I agree with much of this, I think that if you look at the last 20 years or so, the only manager that NUFC have appointed who was the sensible considered choice and which wasn't based upon local bias or hero worship was probably Kenny Dalglish. It doesn't always work out. Our most successful managers in the modern era have been emotional appointments - Keegan and Robson. Although I accept Robson was a world class manager at the time, I think Shepherds decision to go for him was less for that and more for the local connection.

Personally, I wouldn't even include that appointment as a considered decision, I think all of our appointments for a long time have been made with too little thought, Dalglish was a big name and I think that's why he got the job. What should be a complex decision making process has always been made without due consideration the reasons for every appointment since Keegan mk 1, can be summed up with a couple of words and that speaks volumes for me.

Dalglish - Big name.

Gullit - Sexy football.

Robson - Big name, Geordie.

Souness - Discipline.

Roeder - Cheap.

Allardyce - Value for money.

Keegan - Keegan.

Kinnear - Barge-pole wielder.

Shearer - Shearer.

Of all of them the only one that seems to have involved consideration at more than the most basic level is Allardyce, possibly. Don't get me wrong some of them have turned out pretty well, but that's more due to luck rather than judgement in my view.

I remember at the time thinking Dalglish was the perfect appointment. We'd just lost the league title, mainly because the team didn't have the experience of how to win a league. Dalglish had done it with two different teams, particularly with Blackburn where the situation was very similar to the "new money" at Newcastle. When he came in an got us second place, in a season of massive transition, I thought we would get the league the following year.

Then came Stephane Guivarc'H

Personally, I wouldn't even include that appointment as a considered decision, I think all of our appointments for a long time have been made with too little thought, Dalglish was a big name and I think that's why he got the job. What should be a complex decision making process has always been made without due consideration the reasons for every appointment since Keegan mk 1, can be summed up with a couple of words and that speaks volumes for me.

Dalglish - Big name.

Gullit - Sexy football.

Souness - Discipline.

Roeder - Cheap.

Keegan - Keegan.

Shearer - Shearer.

Of all of them the only one that seems to have involved consideration at more than the most basic level is Allardyce, possibly. Don't get me wrong some of them have turned out pretty well, but that's more due to luck rather than judgement in my view.

I would agree that what the situation needs is for a well thought out decision on deciding the next manager, but there are two problems with that:

1) we don't have anyone at the club who even remotely looks like they have a clue how to appoint a manager

2) There are very few managers around who have a proven record available who will work for these cockney sheisters.

Dalglish - Big name.

Gullit - Sexy football.

Souness - Discipline.

Roeder - Cheap.

Keegan - Keegan.

Shearer - Shearer.

I would agree that what the situation needs is for a well thought out decision on deciding the next manager, but there are two problems with that:

1) we don't have anyone at the club who even remotely looks like they have a clue how to appoint a manager

2) There are very few managers around who have a proven record available who will work for these cockney sheisters.

1) Hopefully when they make that decision there will be, if there's no-one currently working for the club who could do that, then give someone else the task, bring in someone in a consultancy role to do it. It happens in business all the time, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be suitable for that kind of short-term role.

2) That my be true, but you don't know it is and your supposition is based upon your assumption that everyone views things in the same way as you do, they don't. Also, good managers have worked for "bad" chairmen and owners since time immemorial, Ken Bates, Peter Ridsdale and many others spring to mind here and I remember some highly-regarded managers working for that lot in the past. Finally, it depends what you mean by "proven track-record", are you talking about in the Championship, in England, Europe, the rest of the world? I bet a lot of managers with a proven track record in the Championship would jump at the chance to manage a club like NUFC, regardless of who the owner is. I bet a lot of managers with a proven track record in mainland Europe and the rest of the world, would be willing to consider taking the job as well. They're used to working in different conditions from British managers and might not be too fussed about what's happened at the club recently. England's the place to be and they might see us as a way into that, or might just welcome the challenge and not care about the perceived stigma attached to the role by many people, including sadly a lot of our own fans. Perhaps we might struggle to get a manager with a proven track record in the upper reaches of English football to take us on, but that's only one segment of a huge number of potential candidates. Arsenal got Wenger from Japan for fuck's sake, there's more to life than the premiership, but that seems to be the only place people want to look.

I remember at the time thinking Dalglish was the perfect appointment. We'd just lost the league title, mainly because the team didn't have the experience of how to win a league. Dalglish had done it with two different teams, particularly with Blackburn where the situation was very similar to the "new money" at Newcastle. When he came in an got us second place, in a season of massive transition, I thought we would get the league the following year.

Then came Stephane Guivarc'H

Dalglish is the only manager who I wished had of had more time at Newcastle because it also bought some quality players, his record in the transfer market is much better than anyone since including Robson.

Why would getting KK back at nufc potentially be looked on as crazy?

"Theres more than just 1 manager out there" "blinded by sentiment", "it will end in tears", "short-sited".

Think about it more though. It is actually short sited to dismiss Keegan as a candidate for the job in my opinion.

If it has been proved that KK was forced out the club, then why should the feeling people had for him last year be any different now? It has been proved his position was untenable, and that he was effectivley stitched up. This has been done so by him taking those con men to court to get the truth out. In fact, he had to do it regardless, because those con men were going to sue him for 2m (even though they, as a fact, forced him out themselves).

It is utterly irrelevant what price his lawyers have put onto reputation damages as

a) Its common high price tactics, the point isnt thinking they would ever get anything near because they obviously (nor KK) didnt, that was calculating a loss in potential future earnings through repuation damage Ashley could have caused until he is - 65!

b) Keegan wanted his reputation cleared through evidence and accpted this instead of going for any money, as long the truth came out. Its there on paper.

On the football side where it matters - Keegan is a very good manager. He, after a slow start, managed get a very poor Newcastle team playing quality football, resotring confidence. He took the decision when fighting relegation to utalise the biggest strength of the squad in his opinion - the 3 strikers. It was a masterstroke to put Owen in a deeper role as it played perfectley into his style of play at this stage of his career.

He's supposedly out of touch with the game according to cynics, yet he still had enough contacts in the game to bring in unknown Seb Bassong for example.

Yes, there ARE other managers out there. The thing is - we dont exactly have Guus Hiddink knocking on our door! ANY manager is a risk, its ALWAYS a risk. Obviously you want to minimise that risk, and some cynics might say "not with KK" - well, no, not if the owner is Mike Ashley or someone just as incredibily stupid is the owner.

"It will end in tears because he might not do well and tarnish his status" .... But he could very likely actually do very well! And if that was to be the case, wouldlnt that be what this game is ultimately about? And isnt it something worth striving for? And it comes back to that, not only could he do very well as oppose to badly, but the chances are he WOULD do very well, bcause again, HES ACTUALLY A VERY GOOD MANAGER.

"Obsessed with legends" ... ok, but again, isnt the status and appreciation someone can work hard for and gain a big side of football, and a big part of what attracts us to the game? Really, when you think about it, thinking about memories of the game? Isnt that romantic aspect something that should not be looked down at? Even more so in the game these days where cheating is more common than ever, more & more souless stadiums bieng rolled out, fans bieng outpriced, superfictial hype more & more constant?

The notion of Keegan coming back that 2nd time as manager for unfinished business - potentially lifting a trophy or pushing the club forward, restoring pride & potentially european football - while in the manner he'd no doubt want - that notion was brilliant, special, and would have been uncredibly satisfying. The notion now of him coming back for a 3rd time as manager with fire in his belly, unfinished business more than ever, putting right Ashley total mess, and going on to do well and take the club forward, restoring pride - because he is actually very much capable of doing so sentiment aside - is something that should not be ignored & dismissed. Personally, I'd wouthout a doubt persue it.

Guest BooBoo

I'll never be one of the KK bummers but i'm pleased he won his case against the clowns running the club. However, if we were to bring him back yet again it would make us the biggest joke in football (if we're not already that is).

This is NUFC and not KKFC. Some people need to let the man go.

If a new owner comes in and asks him to be boss he will say yes I reckon. Haven't one or two potential buyers allegedly sounded him out previously? Now it's been proven that Keegan only sued the club because he was left with little option due to the Cockney cuntish-ness a new owner would have no fears about future legal action unless it was deserved.

Guest Brummiemag

If a new owner comes in and asks him to be boss he will say yes I reckon. Haven't one or two potential buyers allegedly sounded him out previously? Now it's been proven that Keegan only sued the club because he was left with little option due to the Cockney cuntish-ness a new owner would have no fears about future legal action unless it was deserved.

Hope your right but Im not going to build my hopes up

I'll never be one of the KK bummers but i'm pleased he won his case against the clowns running the club. However, if we were to bring him back yet again it would make us the biggest joke in football (if we're not already that is).

This is NUFC and not KKFC. Some people need to let the man go.

i do think this would be for the best, really. i'd like us to open a new chapter rather than try to hark back to past successes, or near successes. saying that, our terrible position in the league, lack of manager, club ran unprofessionally behind the scenes and so on means that getting Keegan in would sort a lot of these problems out. I think he'd take us up and get us stablisied in the premiership, maybe a little more. and that is what we need at this point. so while i'd like us to look beyond him, i'd also take him because we're not really in a position to choose.