Would you want Keegan back now?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There would so much shit in the press, we would get the piss ripped out of us, but yes I would take him back, we were doing well when he left. He rejected £4m presumably because he wanted to win the case and prove that he was right, he's got £2m, and if we had him now I would be 100% confident of promotion

Keegan has not ruled out a return to football management but feels that the Newcastle public would not want him back for a fourth time at St James’s Park.

Keegan said: “It would have been better if it never happened, I was still at Newcastle and we were still in the Premier League. And I think we would have been.

“I don’t think there are really any winners in it but we’ve got to move on now.

“It wasn’t a great situation. The club have got to move on and I’ve got to move on.

“What I wanted was really my job. The thing I’ve lost is managing the club that I love so that’s why I say there have been no winners. But life goes on, things happen, you meet people. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t in football. And this didn’t work.

“I don’t think it’s on to return back there now, I think the fans have had enough of that but you never know in football. I’d like to think there’s still something left in me in football but we’ll wait and see.”

Sounds to me like he wants to return to football but thinks that the fans might not take to him coming back here again. Plus there's the Shearer factor there now as well.

Plenty seem to be saying "No" to Keegan, but I don't think I've yet seen anyone suggest an alternative. Past Shearer, of course. For me, it's the following:

- Keegan - We all know what you get with him, the good and the bad.

- Shearer - Completely and utterly unproven. Unless you count an 8 game winless spell which consigned us to relegation.

- Hughton - Thanks for everything you've done but simply not cut out for it.

- Someone else - Yeah, easy to say "Someone else" but who?

For me, there's nobody out there that is a realistic managerial target that I'd rather have than Keegan. That's not to say that I don't acknowledge his failings, of which there are plenty, but the good outweighs the bad and at this point in time I am confident he'd have us tearing up this league playing great football. Give him some money and let him get his own players, and we'd be out of this league and safe next year in the Prem. What more, at this stage, can anyone ask?

Plenty seem to be saying "No" to Keegan, but I don't think I've yet seen anyone suggest an alternative. Past Shearer, of course. For me, it's the following:

- Keegan - We all know what you get with him, the good and the bad.

- Shearer - Completely and utterly unproven. Unless you count an 8 game winless spell which consigned us to relegation.

- Hughton - Thanks for everything you've done but simply not cut out for it.

- Someone else - Yeah, easy to say "Someone else" but who?

For me, there's nobody out there that is a realistic managerial target that I'd rather have than Keegan. That's not to say that I don't acknowledge his failings, of which there are plenty, but the good outweighs the bad and at this point in time I am confident he'd have us tearing up this league playing great football. Give him some money and let him get his own players, and we'd be out of this league and safe next year in the Prem. What more, at this stage, can anyone ask?

That's what I have said as well. Those who object to Keegan only offer vague reasons like "we need to move on" but it's telling that no names are ever mentioned. Alan Curbishley is about the best name I've heard mentioned but do I think he's a better manager than Keegan? Honestly, no.

Why would the new owners consider him?

If I spent £100 million and considerable time and effort in acquiring the club from Ashley, I would be very hesitant to appoint a manager who commands such religious devotion among many supporters (who are essentially my customers).  Not to mention a manager that I already owe £2 million in compensation to as a result of my predecessor's actions.  It wouldn't be in my interest.

Because as soon as I make that appointment, my new £100 million pound company and my own position becomes a hostage to that man's demands and personal satisfaction.  This was Ashley's first mistake.  Because Keegan (and Shearer too) is basically unsackable.  If he decides he doesn't like the way I administer the club, then he is capable of undermining me in a way that no other employee would be capable of doing.

From the point of view of running NUFC as a business, it would be assuming too much risk.  If you appoint Curbishley or Strachan or Coppell - someone to whom the fans have no prior attachment - then the blame of underachievement will fall on their shoulders.  If you appoint Keegan - the messiah - then any future owner puts themselves directly in the line of fire.

I don't think anyone really sees Keegan returning for a third time as realistic whatsoever.

I could see it happen in five years time or so if we continue to fail to achieve anything at all and end up going up/down up/down and so on. We're hopeless romantics, sadly.

If I spent £100 million and considerable time and effort in acquiring the club from Ashley, I would be very hesitant to appoint a manager who commands such religious devotion among many supporters (who are essentially my customers).  Not to mention a manager that I already owe £2 million in compensation to as a result of my predecessor's actions.  It wouldn't be in my interest.

Because as soon as I make that appointment, my new £100 million pound company and my own position becomes a hostage to that man's demands and personal satisfaction.  This was Ashley's first mistake.  Because Keegan (and Shearer too) is basically unsackable.  If he decides he doesn't like the way I administer the club, then he is capable of undermining me in a way that no other employee would be capable of doing.

From the point of view of running NUFC as a business, it would be assuming too much risk.  If you appoint Curbishley or Strachan or Coppell - someone to whom the fans have no prior attachment - then the blame of underachievement will fall on their shoulders.  If you appoint Keegan - the messiah - then any future owner puts themselves directly in the line of fire.

Firstly, Ashley only ended up paying Keegan compensation due to his own wrong actions and this was proven by an independent tribunal. The fact that he was relieved it was only £2m should tell you everything about his cack-handed running of the club.

Secondly, any new owner should appoint a manager on his ability to be a success, not his credentials to be a fall guy if things go wrong. Hiring a local hero does bring a bit of baggage, but if he is clearly not up to the job fans are hardly going to be up in arms if he's sacked as long as he's given a decent crack at the whip.

You've outlined the problem very well there, and it's a problem that I think is unique to our club. In recent years, we've seen with Shearer the player, Keegan the manager, and even Shearer the potential manager, figures who have exercised a lot of indirect power due to their special relationship with the club's fanbase.

It's a double-edged sword for an owner, and I don't think there's an easy answer. If you bring those figures on board, you also bring the fans on board. Alternative candidates come under a lot more pressure, and like Allardyce, they can crack. But you've outlined the down-side of appointing the local hero very well.

It looks inevitable that Shearer will take over, and I just hope we get the best of both worlds - a good manager who will get the fans' support with the slow process of team-building. But I would actually go for bringing someone in from outside.

If a new owner comes in who wants to run the club properly then Keegan would be a decent appointment, he's a proven, quality manager and the club doesn't have a manager at all right now.

However, there are others so it depends on the level of ambition any new owner has, we know the current owner has none so there's no point appointing anyone as manager. My labradors may as well be running the team.

If a new owner comes in who wants to run the club properly then Keegan would be a decent appointment, he's a proven, quality manager and the club doesn't have a manager at all right now.

Much as I absolutley agree with that and in a way would love to see Keegan back I just don't see it as a practical option anymore, I think that ship might have sailed. Granted I thought that before he came back a second time too, but I just don't think it could work.

Guest float one in

Yep - simply put, he's the best manager NUFC has had in my lifetime, gave us the best football any of us can remember. I wouldn't have any doubts he's do another good job for us and get us enjoying supporting the team. I wouldn't have as much confidence in anyone else that would realistically come to manage us.

Whether it would be possible and whether new owners would want to consider it are different stories of course.

Still a massive lack of genuine alternatives being put forward other than Shearer. The reality is there is no think tank at Newcastle that could produce a masterstroke appointment like Wenger at Arsenal. It's not just fans who clamour for local heroes, most owners are pretty clueless when it comes to football knowledge so it's a lottery with most appointments.

Still a massive lack of genuine alternatives being put forward other than Shearer. The reality is there is no think tank at Newcastle that could produce a masterstroke appointment like Wenger at Arsenal. It's not just fans who clamour for local heroes, most owners are pretty clueless when it comes to football knowledge so it's a lottery with most appointments.

Curbishley is out there at a loose end. He's got a good record of developing young players and over-achieving on limited resources.

Whether he'd want to uproot himself from the South-East, and adjust to the pressure of big club management I'm not sure. He could be another Allardyce but at the same time he did extremely well at West Ham, holding his nerve in a situation that looked absolutely hopeless. Trouble was, he was never popular with the fans down there, and he isn't the kind of larger than life character who can win the crowd over easily.

Theleftfieldbutitmightwork option in my mind is that bloke at Hoffenheim, Ragnick. He was supposed to be interested in the job a few years ago, and may be just the kind of nutter we're looking for.

PS - Temuri might be worth a punt as well

A couple of issues with this. any chairman appointing a manager should A/ appoint him based on that manager's vision for the club and B/ make sure there's mutual understanding of what each party wants out of the job. THAT was Ashley's mistake in appointing Keegan. If you can get that down, you minimise problems in the future.

Secondly, having a manager with strong support in the stands and a powerful position inside the club is no bad thing if that manager happens to be a good one. It gives them the gravitas to be able to mould the club in their image. You make it sound like being 'unsackable' is a bad thing but really that can be a huge positive. two other managers who are 'unsackable' - Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger. Another point on this - Keegan and Shearer aren't quite so popular as you make out. Actually, the fact that you can make that argument as a fan shows that it's not the case that they can do no wrong.  So while they'd have a strong position at the club, they're not unsackable in the event that things go wrong. If Shearer or Keegan turned out to be terrible i think the fans would realise it was for the best to get rid of them. However if an owner wants to get rid because they don't agree with a good manager's vision, then it is the owner's stupid fault for appointing them in the first place and they deserve everything they get.

Thirdly, you tell us to avoid appointing Keegan and then advocate Coppell. No offence, but if you think Keegan is a quitter, just wait till you look at Coppell's track record. the bloke is a nervous wreck who can't last 5 minutes in a half way big job. He wouldn't last a second here. What a bizarre suggestion. As for Strachan and Curbishley, they are decent managers so I'd be fine with appointing them, I just feel that Keegan is, objectively, better than both of them. Obviously we shouldn't just be looking at these limited names, there are a lot of good managers out there, but we're not really in a position to attract them, yet.

Furthermore, you say the owners put themselves in the line of fire. well that is their job. They have to have enough confidence in their own decisions to make the right ones and not wilt at he first sign of pressure like a certain someone. The fans forced Keegan and SJH out of the club and onto the steps when they sold Andy Cole, a huge decision for them. But those two had the guts to stand by their decisions and move forward.

Curbishley is out there at a loose end. He's got a good record of developing young players and over-achieving on limited resources.

Whether he'd want to uproot himself from the South-East, and adjust to the pressure of big club management I'm not sure. He could be another Allardyce but at the same time he did extremely well at West Ham, holding his nerve in a situation that looked absolutely hopeless. Trouble was, he was never popular with the fans down there, and he isn't the kind of larger than life character who can win the crowd over easily.

Theleftfieldbutitmightwork option in my mind is that bloke at Hoffenheim, Ragnick. He was supposed to be interested in the job a few years ago, and may be just the kind of nutter we're looking for.

don't think there is any chance of appointing a top foreign manager if we're not in the top division. Working in the premierleague is a massive attraction for foreigners and in the past we should've looked at this option. Unfortunately in Shepherd and Ashley we've had people in charge who are too stupid to look beyond their backyard.

I did say previously in this thread that Curbishley was about the best name anyone has put forward so far, and he wouldn't be a terrible choice, although imo he's not as good a manager as Keegan. I'm not even sure he's mentally any stronger for all Keegan's reputation for doing a runner.

:suicide:

Do you actually like anything about NUFC?  Hate Shearer, hate Keegan. Love Hughton, love Ashley(?).

I'm an adult and therefore have access to more emotions than love and hate.

Come back after you have passed through puberty and if you still don't understand I'll explain it to you. :angel:

Howaythelads wrote:

:snod:
Still ranging internet forums looking for a leg to hump HTL?

Life has not been the same for you since NE5 got banned has it? :weep: