Would you want Keegan back now?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

Well, I've read a lot of comments on his board at various times, about managers like Moyes, Curbishley, Redknapp, Hughes, O'Neill - people who have some proven ability, but for reasons that aren't clear some people take against them as potential managers for NUFC. If you look at Joe Kinnear's record, it's pretty tidy. There are no guarantees in this, but who's to say he wouldn't do a good job here? The reasons for favouring one manager rather than another often seem a bit arbitrary to me.

Aye 10 years ago. He's a lower league manager at best Bob with a pretty scratchy record during the early rounds of 2000-2004. If he were to take over full-time I can see most of our better players wanting out (if they don't already) and his signings being of the very tall, very big, very ugly type. Hopefully he'll do a good enough job to get himself a chance at a championship promotion hopeful type of club. Long-term he'd be a disaster here.

The reasons for favouring one manager rather than another often seem a bit arbitrary to me.

Wimbledon were football murderers. Not only did they play no "proper" football but they were cheating, nasty, diving thugs whose main tactic was to get the 90 minutes over with as quickly as possibly. They were the antithesis of everything I like about football and Kinnear was central to this. His mantle was carried on by Allardyce at Bolton who tried to fool people with his pseudo-science that it was any different.

If not wanting idiots like this anywhere near my football club is arbitrary then fair enough but I'd just rather not see it.

I've been accused in defending Keegan of choosing which media reports to believe - nice to see the other side leaping on some unsubstantiated bollocks to kick off another jizzfest.

Again - name a proven winner who would come and who would actually lift the place.

Nobody would lift the place like Keegan apart from Shearer, this is our problem as supporters though if we will only accept a former hero to come in and lift our spirits.

Guest fraser

I've been accused in defending Keegan of choosing which media reports to believe - nice to see the other side leaping on some unsubstantiated bollocks to kick off another jizzfest.

Again - name a proven winner who would come and who would actually lift the place.

It's a risible failure of both imagination and intellect if you believe Keegan is the only manager in the world who can handle the job.

Do you guys really believe this bloke is the f***ing Messiah?

Embarrassing.

I personally have never called him a Messiah; my opinion that he is more likely to succeed here than most is based on an objective appreciation of his record. The usual emotional response (of 'quitter', 'toys from pram' and so on) given by many on this board doesn't hold water; he is too honest and too principled for many though.

This is nonsense. Robin Cook resigned from the cabinet over going into Iraq over his 'principles'. Dont confuse power games at football clubs with big important concepts like principles. Please. Its a joke to do so.

It's not nonsense. I take your argument that there may be more important issues of principle but we can all act in accordance with our own principles every day. This may seem mundane to you but integrity is important in most areas of life, not just on the larger, following your example, political stage. Incidentally, I see fewer areas of life where power-games are more prevalent than in politics.

There is also an underlying assumption in your remarks that Keegan is involved in the so-called power-games although there is little evidence of that.

It's a risible failure of both imagination and intellect if you believe Keegan is the only manager in the world who can handle the job.

Embarrassing.

I personally have never called him a Messiah; my opinion that he is more likely to succeed here than most is based on an objective appreciation of his record. The usual emotional response (of 'quitter', 'toys from pram' and so on) given by many on this board doesn't hold water; he is too honest and too principled for many though.

This is nonsense. Robin Cook resigned from the cabinet over going into Iraq over his 'principles'. Dont confuse power games at football clubs with big important concepts like principles. Please. Its a joke to do so.

It's not nonsense. I take your argument that there may be more important issues of principle but we can all act in accordance with our own principles every day. This may seem mundane to you but integrity is important in most areas of life, not just on the larger, following your example, political stage. Incidentally, I see fewer areas of life where power-games are more prevalent than in politics.

There is also an underlying assumption in your remarks that Keegan is involved in the so-called power-games although there is little evidence of that.

Keegan is fallible. He is actually human. He is not holy. Please get some perspective.

Guest fraser

Embarrassing.

Keegan is fallible. He is actually human. He is not holy. Please get some perspective.

I agree with your first three points. Your final remark is irrelevant.

Embarrassing.

Alright, fair enough. I am perhaps being more than just a bit unfair to you there with the final remark. It's just I've had to revise my opinion of Kevin Keegan in light of recent events, and it's not been easy coming to the realisation that I cannot see his return here as being anything other than detrimental to the overall long-term wellbeing and stature of the club. I'm increasingly thinking what we need is a clean slate - Keegan free.

Alright, fair enough. I am perhaps being more than just a bit unfair to you there with the final remark. It's just I've had to revise my opinion of Kevin Keegan in light of recent events, and it's not been easy coming to the realisation that I cannot see his return here as being anything other than detrimental to the overall long-term wellbeing and stature of the club. I'm increasingly thinking what we need is a clean slate - Keegan free.

I think highly of Keegan but I doubt I could trust him again, I'd always be waiting for him to walk and we don't need any more shit once we finally confine this latest episode to history.

Guest fraser

Embarrassing.

My argument is that Keegan's record as a club manager is very good, particularly here. I don't understand why it's necessary to attempt to discredit him through what I'll describe as the Steve Curry tendency. I also believe that the most successful managers, now and in the past, have 'done it their way' (within financial parameters, of course).

If there are better who are available and who will come to this club, all well and good.

If Keegan comes back, are we still relegation strugglers or do we return to "top half hopefulls"?

It's not Keegan's return which would determine our status - it's results. Does it necessarily follow that Keegan returning would guarantee better results? We still have the same fractured squad, full of injury-prone, overpaid, selfish, disinterested players and mercenaries and journeymen.

If Keegan comes back, are we still relegation strugglers or do we return to "top half hopefulls"?

It's not just about Keegan, it's about the club having stability.

It's interesting people pointing to West Ham because some on here thought we could have been similar in that we could of appointed a new manager and been straight back on track, with the likes of Deschamps, Terim and Zico showing interest we could have moved on instead of now being left in limbo.

Keegan would have had us at least in the top half by this time.  The players clearley liked him and were playing absoluotley class with him around.

very much doubt it. we may have got draws against balckburn and hull but we had too many out to be confident of winning either.

It's interesting people pointing to West Ham because some on here thought we could have been similar in that we could of appointed a new manager and been straight back on track, with the likes of Deschamps, Terim and Zico showing interest we could have moved on instead of now being left in limbo.

That was never going to happen though. Not with the cries of "Cockney Mafia Out".

That was never going to happen though. Not with the cries of "Cockney Mafia Out".

Which was the problem, because of that followed Ashley agreeing to go the situation has turned from a problem into a complete disaster.

It'll be interesting to see what fans do if Ashley can't find a buyer.

Which was the problem, because of that followed Ashley agreeing to go the situation has turned from a problem into a complete disaster.

They will probably find some way of backing down and pretending they never really wanted to get rid of Ashley and that it's probably best he stays after all. Something along those lines, I should imagine.

BTW - Do you not count yourself as one of the "fans"? What's with this dissociative tone you're taking?

They will probably find some way of backing down and pretending they never really wanted to get rid of Ashley and that it's probably best he stays after all. Something along those lines, I should imagine.

BTW - Do you not count yourself as one of the "fans"? What's with this dissociative tone you're taking?

I could have put that better, I meant what will NUSC do.

I was just interested in how it would be perceived, let me re-phrase then:

Assume Keegan comes back and we get new owners (i.e. stability (until Keegan leaves again, before someone else says it)) with the current squad, are we still relegation fodder or do you think we will be okay?

Assume Keegan comes back and we get new owners (i.e. stability (until Keegan leaves again, before someone else says it)) with the current squad, are we still relegation fodder or do you think we will be okay?

Sorry, but the scenario you've just described would seem to me to be quite the opposite of anything even remotely resembling "stability" - other than possibly the fact that a large number of the fan base would be a good deal happier on account of Keegan being back. I'm just not convinced it would automatically translate into better results and us thereby becoming less likely to be relegated.

That will depend on how quick he throws his toys out of the pram and storms off again.

That will depend on how quick he throws his toys out of the pram and storms off again.

Probably as soon as he doesn't get backed again.

Probably as soon as he doesn't get backed again.

So quite soon then, assuming we have a board/owner with an IQ bigger than an ant's.

Nobody would lift the place like Keegan apart from Shearer, this is our problem as supporters though if we will only accept a former hero to come in and lift our spirits.

I actually agree with you here - unfortunately the last 5 years of drearyness and false dawns have driven us to this place where a lot of people (probably including myself) only see one way out.

The problem is as I've said before that too many hopes were raised in January - people thought we could (even after a bad start) just snap back into the mid 90s but I'd argue that's a measure of the man as well.

Looking forward under new owners I can see why Keegan would appeal and equally I could see how they could be wary of pointing an "outsider" - that's why I think Keegan returning but not on a 3 year contract might be best.

• 1 month later...