Would you want Keegan back now?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't hold him accountable for any of the mess we are in whatsoever and the man is and always will remain a hero to me not just for what he did for us but for what he stands for. However the club and everyone connected with Newcastle United now needs to move on from him and for good too. Those years as a player and then as manager (during both spells) will live long in the memory and whatever success this club of ours achieves in the future a percentage of it will be owed to Kevin Keegan who rescued the club from the darkest depths and made everyone believe in it again. Today every ambition, hope and expectation we have comes from the work of Keegan. Our idea of what kind of team we'd like to see, what kind of success we can achieve, stems from his time at the club. It is just a shame it all ended so wrong, I won't say bad because we could move on from this and for the better, but KK and Newcastle United feels right and was right. Not now though and never again.

Ok, genuine question. How is his 2nd spell as manager memorable other than for the wrong reasons? It barely had time to even begin yielding results! Yes the football improved, and we managed to string a few good results together. But how is that memorable? Souness went on a 8 game winning streak (iirc) and Roeder oversaw a good few games unbeaten.

I was there against Stoke and against Bolton, for weeks the whole city was buzzing and in KK dreamland, the team and club have had better days of course but I can't remember the whole city being as happy as that since KK was last here. For that alone it was memorable. Then there was the 4-1 win over Spurs, the way he got Owen playing and scoring, how at one and spirited the team were becoming. For a few months  all at Newcastle were happy, content. This has always been a turbulent club and these moments are worth   a lot even when so fleeting.

The saddest thing about all this is that KK is actually a very good manager who if backed financially and supported 100% in running the club, he is arguably the only man capable of taking this strange club of ours higher than we dare imagine.

In KK we trust... ed.

We could appoint a good manager who has a great spell but a lot of fans will always be wondering in the backs of their head when the wheels are coming off like many did under Sir Bobby. With KK he had the capacity to make us genuinly believe.

At a club like Newcastle where there is no grey areas where when we lose its all doom and gloom and when we win the world is our oyster, that kind of belief whatever is actually happening is very potent and half the battle.

IMO anyway.

nearly speechless. agreed.

The old adage, 'Never go back' springs to mind. It's a pity Ashley didn't heed it 8 months ago.

I'm now looking at O'Neill and Aston Villa in 4th place. What a missed opportunity that was. Thank you, Freddie.

MON only ever does 5 year stints, so he wont be there for much longer.

but then again, dont forget villa were average in their first season under MON, and had that been us he may well have got the sack. also, probably man city will finish above villa next season.

Well maybe on both counts. But if you look at the Villa squad, I don't think it's better than ours. O'Neill just has the ability to get an extra 10% out of all his players.

The sign of a good manager is someone who can overachieve on the resources that are available to him. I don't think Keegan has ever shown that. When it comes to over-selling himself, he's up there with the best though.

but then again, dont forget villa were average in their first season under MON, and had that been us he may well have got the sack. also, probably man city will finish above villa next season.

Well maybe on both counts. But if you look at the Villa squad, I don't think it's better than ours. O'Neill just has the ability to get an extra 10% out of all his players.

The sign of a good manager is someone who can overachieve on the resources that are available to him. I don't think Keegan has ever shown that. When it comes to over-selling himself, he's up there with the best though.

i dont think our squad is stronger than villas- maybe several players from our starting 11, but our squad is terribly thin, and the fact that we have a few injuries and we are playing edgar who is shite speaks volumes. personally, not many players of villas that arent better than our first choice in each position, apart from given, beye, owen, and maybe martins and nzogbia on their day.

If Keegan was backed the same as O'Neill he'd beat him no problem

Not sure if that's still the case, but you could certainly make an argument for it. Personally speaking, while I find Keegan's mood swings a constant pain, I feel he is worth more to Newcastle than Martin O'Neill could ever be. For me Keegan doesn't need to win trophies here, if we get to see good football and at least compete with the best, that's enough.

This statistical bollocks saying he only won 6 games out of 21 or whatever is a snide attack in my view. It took real balls to play our way out of trouble last season. My only concern with Keegan is when he loses motivation it translates to the team. It happened last time he was here, and there were signs it was affecting the team this time round as well.

But if he still wants the job, he's the best man for it in my view.

in all honesty though, something was missing this time around. i know most of you will say it's because KK realised he didn't enjoy working in the set-up he found around him. But...

the first time round he was the underdog. we were the forgotten sleeping giant. this time round, the Keegan/NUFC marriage had a reputation to live up to. The media were only giving us and he one game and one game only to redeem ourselves and play the swashbuckling Keegan way against Bolton, and beat them 5-0. IMO that 0-0 draw got the media immediately on our backs, and we never recovered from there in terms of doubt, hearsay and uncertainty.

When has Keegan ever over-sold himself like? Our performance at Man U was the utter antithesis of what you said, inferior players outplaying superior opposition. You seem to imply that he only does well with resources available - his first game as manager against Bristol City 3-0 just completely shatters that argument, players who looked utterly piss poor and heading for the old third division suddenly believed in themselves and Newcastle United, and they continued playing for their manager as he dragged us out of the shit that season. What happened next wasn't bought, it was built on the enthusiasm, drive and belief of the best manager we have ever had.

As has been said before, none of us know what actually happened, yet people still choose to believe that Keegan has 'flounced off' and dropped us in it. I believe he loves this club, I believe he knows what is best for the club more than anyone and I would give anything to have him back.

in all honesty though, something was missing this time around. i know most of you will say it's because KK realised he didn't enjoy working in the set-up he found around him. But...

the first time round he was the underdog. we were the forgotten sleeping giant. this time round, the Keegan/NUFC marriage had a reputation to live up to. The media were only giving us and he one game and one game only to redeem ourselves and play the swashbuckling Keegan way against Bolton, and beat them 5-0. IMO that 0-0 draw got the media immediately on our backs, and we never recovered from there in terms of doubt, hearsay and uncertainty.

The only thing missing this time round was the funds. Keegan's never liked settling for second best and I don't think he's ever tried to hide it. I can't imagine he was thrilled he'd be battling for the scraps in the transfer market rather than landing the big fish.

Villa's squad is twice as good as ours, both in quality and in depth.

I think the only thing missing, was he cottoned on quite quickly that he wasn't being supported by a board anywhere near as much as the first time

This may not sit easy with some people. So they are more than welcome to tell us why he only lasted 8 months with a club in a much better position than the one he lasted 5 years with the last time.

I expect the silence from the likes of mick to be as deafening as usual.

The old adage, 'Never go back' springs to mind. It's a pity Ashley didn't heed it 8 months ago.

I'm now looking at O'Neill and Aston Villa in 4th place. What a missed opportunity that was. Thank you, Freddie.

Only another 3 years then - how long has the average manager of NUFC been in place..???

If MON is doing well at Villa & thinks he can take them further, he will be there longer than 3 more years ;look at the clubs he has managed in the past - only Celtic were a 'big' club & he couldn't take THEM any further in the Scottish Prem.

Absolutely staggered that there are STILL some people here with their heads in the sand about O'Neill, while he quietly gets on with making Villa into the club NUFC should be..!

Only another 3 years then - how long has the average manager of NUFC been in place..???

If MON is doing well at Villa & thinks he can take them further, he will be there longer than 3 more years ;look at the clubs he has managed in the past - only Celtic were a 'big' club & he couldn't take THEM any further in the Scottish Prem.

Absolutely staggered that there are STILL some people here with their heads in the sand about O'Neill, while he quietly gets on with making Villa into the club NUFC should be..!

top post

Guest Howaythetoon

What KK has shown is that these players especially perhaps need a man manager more than a coach...

not so sure about that. i doubt even a keegan team with those 4 first teamers out would have got more on saturday.

I'm talking in general since he returned. The players or a good chunk of them seemed to respond better to man management more than coaching details which in the wide scheme of things is all the same anyway, training rarely varies from one club to another at the majority of them.

i see. i always thought he was a better coach than given credit for and it wouldn't have took much to get better out of a decent,if small squad that allardyce left

I agree he is a decent coach but a lot of our players seemed to respond better to his other skills, his man management techniques. KK's actual coaching on the training ground is pretty basic, pass and move, lots of small sided games and rarely any tactical work, maybe the players responded to that too but I don't think it was that which improved their games to any great extent where they suddenly looked comfortable on the ball, were much stronger mentally and as a unit and played with greater belief.