Would you want Keegan back now?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keegan meets Toon bidders

KEVIN KEEGAN has met three consortiums bidding to take control of Newcastle for talks about a sensational comeback.

SunSport understands a South African group, the Nigerians and an unnamed consortium held discussions with former boss Keegan this week.

However, Keegan’s ongoing £8million legal action against his employers for constructive dismissal is complicating a return.

Keegan will not drop the action and any new owners do not want the problem hanging round their necks once they take over.

Keegan has made it clear he would love to return under the right circumstances but has now admitted it may not be possible.

Both the South Africans and Nigerians have made outline offers for the club, with the South Africans ready to go to £280m in staged payments and the Nigerians putting in £200m up front.

But Seymour Pierce, who are acting for Toon owner Mike Ashley, want official documentation to be completed before any formal bids are considered.

This would include proper proof that funds are in place to complete a takeover. SunSport understands the Nigerians have already done this through reputable lawyers.

A friend of Keegan’s said: “Kevin’s return as manager is a key issue for some of the bidders.

“They want Kevin to be back in charge otherwise they might not continue their interest.”

What Keegan achieved before was done under conditions that don't exist any more - ie the ability to outspend the opposition. A lot of people are not facing up to that.

This nonsense doesn't become truer just because it gets repeated.

What Keegan achieved before was done under conditions that don't exist any more - ie the ability to outspend the opposition. A lot of people are not facing up to that.

Brian Kilcline, Gavin Peacock, John Beresford, Paul Bracewell, Scott Sellars (a few of Keegan's first signings, from the top of my head, im sure theres plenty more) weren't bankrolled, they were pretty prudent IMO and Keegan gelled them into a team that absolutely annihalated the opposition in getting promoted. This wasn't chequebook management, and that is what I mostly remember Keegan for. That promotion season, 10 in a row, chanting "Newcastle United will never be defeated" with absolute belief. This was what Keegan does, it was all built on optimism hunger and a desire to play great football, not money.

Of course money follows success, but buying then unknown Andy Cole for a hefty sum (was it 1.7m or similar?)was hardly Keegan flashing the cash was it? Having proved himself to be an excellent manager money was then made available to him, he happily spent it but our success back then wasn't built on a chequebook.

In my opinion calling Keegan a chequebook manager either shows ignorance or a pandering to the populist view created by the media.

Guest MrSundlofer

A lot of talk Keegan is coming back in the latest weeks and he hasn't denied it.. so, it should be some truth in this.

If you're going to restrict your argument to gaining promotion, then that makes Aidy Boothroyd, Neil Warnock, Alan Curbishley etc etc great managers. They've all got ability, but I don't think they receive the kind of messiah-like, exaggerated praise that Keegan gets.

I'm not saying the guy hasn't got his strengths, but the hysteria that surrounds him gets in the way of any objectivity as to his real worth, compared to the alternatives.

The other major criticism of Keegan is that once the upward momentum stops, he loses heart. That's what happened here, with England, and with Man City. That's the flip side of this mercurial image of his.

Brian Kilcline, Gavin Peacock, John Beresford, Paul Bracewell, Scott Sellars (a few of Keegan's first signings, from the top of my head, im sure theres plenty more) weren't bankrolled, they were pretty prudent IMO and Keegan gelled them into a team that absolutely annihalated the opposition in getting promoted. This wasn't chequebook management, and that is what I mostly remember Keegan for. That promotion season, 10 in a row, chanting "Newcastle United will never be defeated" with absolute belief. This was what Keegan does, it was all built on optimism hunger and a desire to play great football, not money.

Of course money follows success, but buying then unknown Andy Cole for a hefty sum (was it 1.7m or similar?)was hardly Keegan flashing the cash was it? Having proved himself to be an excellent manager money was then made available to him, he happily spent it but our success back then wasn't built on a chequebook.

In my opinion calling Keegan a chequebook manager either shows ignorance or a pandering to the populist view created by the media.

Some of the players you mentioned there were bought in the 2nd division. During our promotion season I would imagine we still outspent most of our rivals in that division. Nothing wrong with that either, I agree that there was a lot more to it than that, but it should still be pointed out. Any consortium wanting to re-instate Keegan should be prepared to back him fully in the transfer market. I'm a bit concerned that KK is being offered a share in the club though. He might start looking at future signings through Ashley's eyes in that case.

If you're going to restrict your argument to gaining promotion, then that makes Aidy Boothroyd, Neil Warnock, Alan Curbishley etc etc great managers. They've all got ability, but I don't think they receive the kind of messiah-like, exaggerated praise that Keegan gets.

I'm not saying the guy hasn't got his strengths, but the hysteria that surrounds him gets in the way of any objectivity as to his real worth, compared to the alternatives.

The other major criticism of Keegan is that once the upward momentum stops, he loses heart. That's what happened here, with England, and with Man City. That's the flip side of this mercurial image of his.

Loses heart or recognises he has done what he can and moves aside? I think we all recognise Keegan won't be here for decades but at least there was/is some 'upward momentum' to make me enjoy watching the team play, which tbh is all I am really bothered about.

However, Keegan?s ongoing £8million legal action against his employers for constructive dismissal is complicating a return.

Keegan will not drop the action and any new owners do not want the problem hanging round their necks once they take over.

Eight million!

However, Keegan?s ongoing £8million legal action against his employers for constructive dismissal is complicating a return.

Eight million!

Give over, thats only 16,000 season tickets, peanuts for what he did for this club this year.

I'd be embarrassed if i was Keegan and came back after this debacle.

Eight million!

Give over, thats only 16,000 season tickets, peanuts for what he did for this club this year.

I always assumed Keegan loved the job so much he'd happily negotiate a settlement which would allow him to come back.

Well, it's four times the money I thought he was after. Meanwhile, some of the same people who "believe" in KK and his "love for the club" are suggesting that Ashley should sell up for less than he could in order to leave a buyer with enough funds to play fantasy football.

The more I follow this story, the more I am convinced that the last manager we should be appointing is Keegan.

We are hearing that all these faceless consortia want to bring him back; even that some bids are conditional on his return. That suggests we are worth little as a club without him. To the degree that might be true, it's a circumstance the club should be correcting. Not least because it makes a man who's already taking an £8 million civil action against the club -- and who has a history of walking out -- into some kind of unassailable figure.

I just want it all to be over  :weep:

Hopefull when i come back from my hols it will all be sorted out  :crazy2:

only if it's a years trip around the world

I was hoping to do it in 80 days.

i was figuring in the 9 month incarceration in thailand

:-[

:-[

:lol:

Eight million!

So would I, £8 million ffs. :lol:

Eight million!

So would I, £8 million ffs. :lol:

You really wonder what those behind the scenes, who are more in the know, are actually saying about this in private.

A bloke stays away from his usual line of work for 3 years, and runs his own business. That business runs into a bit of trouble, and he then accepts a job back in his usual profession, under conditions that he wouldn't usually accept. After 8 months of intermittent trouble, he storms out, claiming he's been sacked and refusing all attempts at reconciliation. He's then into his employers for £8 million compensation.

Would such a person normally be hailed as a great man of principle?

You really wonder what those behind the scenes, who are more in the know, are actually saying about this in private.

A bloke stays away from his usual line of work for 3 years, and runs his own business. That business runs into a bit of trouble, and he then accepts a job back in his usual profession, under conditions that he wouldn't usually accept. After 8 months of intermittent trouble, he storms out, claiming he's been sacked and refusing all attempts at reconciliation. He's then into his employers for £8 million compensation.

Would such a person normally be hailed as a great man of principle?

I'm surprised you didn't start that comment with 'It is a fact', tbh.