Would you want Keegan back now?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There's a great article on the front page by Bobyule about the Keegan walk out if anyone is interested.

Another chance for him to fuel his anti KK agenda, he's been against him since appointed, probably music to his ears when he resined. No thanks, I'll give it a miss.

Keegan took the job, knowing that he'd be working to a DOF, with a limited budget. However, he wanted the same situation as he had last time, where he was working direct to a Chairman / Owner, and was able to persuade him to spend big. He had an attitude of arsey non-cooperation with Wise and his team so that he would either 1) get is own way in this or 2) get sacked and walk off with a lot of compensation. He didn't achieve 1) and took the opportunity of 2) when the chance presented itself.

I don't have an 'agenda' against the bloke. Only an opinion. If he comes back, I hope he succeeds, because this is my club. I'd just rather someone more deserving got the opportunity.

Keegan took the job, knowing that he'd be working to a DOF, with a limited budget. However, he wanted the same situation as he had last time, where he was working direct to a Chairman / Owner, and was able to persuade him to spend big. He had an attitude of arsey non-cooperation with Wise and his team so that he would either 1) get is own way in this or 2) get sacked and walk off with a lot of compensation. He didn't achieve 1) and took the opportunity of 2) when the chance presented itself.

I don't have an 'agenda' against the bloke. Only an opinion. If he comes back, I hope he succeeds, because this is my club. I'd just rather someone more deserving got the opportunity.

That first paragraph seems to be written like you know everything as a matter of fact. If you are able to write it like because you know things that we all dont then thats is absoluitely fair enough but are you really able to use the phrases "He wanted the same situation...." and "He had an attitude.." ?

That first paragraph seems to be written like you know everything as a matter of fact. If you are able to write it like because you know things that we all dont then thats is absoluitely fair enough but are you really able to use the phrases "He wanted the same situation...." and "He had an attitude.." ?

It's what I think happened. I took it as read that it would be treated as theory rather than fact. Not that talking about someone's inner motivation is ever a matter of fact, mind.

I'm more interested in hearing whether people agree or not.

wonder how come there aren't more clubs beating a path to KK's door?

it's a reasonable question IMO actually before anyone starts...he did very well with what was frankly shite until he stormed out, wonder if anyone else is looking at him?  spurs, for example

if not why not?  are we just blinkered where he is concerned, or is everyone else?

Guest shearer_united

There are other managers available however I think Keegan is the only guaranteed manager the club can get quick without any trials to see if he's the man for the job.

But I would suggest the club move on, move forward and search for other highly qualified managers right for the job.

Guest shearer_united

guaranteed manager

??

I meant a manager the fans are going to like and are going to enjoy his style of play he is going to apply on the game.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

What KK has shown is that these players especially perhaps need a man manager more than a coach...

not so sure about that. i doubt even a keegan team with those 4 first teamers out would have got more on saturday.

I'm talking in general since he returned. The players or a good chunk of them seemed to respond better to man management more than coaching details which in the wide scheme of things is all the same anyway, training rarely varies from one club to another at the majority of them.

i see. i always thought he was a better coach than given credit for and it wouldn't have took much to get better out of a decent,if small squad that allardyce left

I agree he is a decent coach but a lot of our players seemed to respond better to his other skills, his man management techniques. KK's actual coaching on the training ground is pretty basic, pass and move, lots of small sided games and rarely any tactical work, maybe the players responded to that too but I don't think it was that which improved their games to any great extent where they suddenly looked comfortable on the ball, were much stronger mentally and as a unit and played with greater belief.

Or it could be that with Jonas/Guthrie in midfield we are a hell of a lot better, scraped some results for the first 3 games with Keegan in charge. No doubt we would have performed a bit better with him still in charge in some games but with the injuries we've had we could still have loooked shit with KK here.

"Sources close to Kevin Keegan" say the 57-year-old is up for the challenge of returning to St James' Park after a refreshing break in California, although none of the prospective buyers have yet contacted him. (Various)

But the chances of Keegan enjoying a third spell as Newcastle manager are now "extremely slim". (Daily Mail)

it's a reasonable question IMO actually before anyone starts...he did very well with what was frankly shite until he stormed out, wonder if anyone else is looking at him?  spurs, for example

if not why not?  are we just blinkered where he is concerned, or is everyone else?

How many clubs are there out there that will give Keegan enough money to keep him happy? The top clubs already have good managers, and Spurs have a similar set up to us and KK walked out of Newcastle because he couldn't work in those circumstances.

Guest spongebob toonpants

I'd have him back yesterday. Class manager, no two ways about it.

Is Keegan the only class manager that has won f*** all of worth in a 16 year career?

Name me a crap manager that hasnt been sacked in a 16 year career

I know this is romantic bollocks but I was never surprised that he failed at other clubs/jobs (promotions aside) - I always felt this was the only place he could work or would really want to and that this is the only club that would want him.

I know this is romantic bollocks but I was never surprised that he failed at other clubs/jobs (promotions aside) - I always felt this was the only place he could work or would really want to and that this is the only club that would want him.

That I would agree with. My view is that Spurs or the like wouldn't put up with his demands, that goes for the board and the fans who don't hero worship him like ours do. I also don't think Keegan would consider managing Newcastle without the funds to compete with the best. Any new owner who wants to bring Keegan back will have to promise him a fair wedge for transfers first and foremost.

england aside i don't think he failed personally elsewhere...but i do agree with your latter point, and it's the reason i can't see a third coming working

i said this at the time when MA appointed KK that what was needed, IMO then and now, was a clean sweep...a new manager with a long term "plan" (sorry, really i am) in mind

don't get me wrong if whoever takes over brings KK back i'll be happier than i am now but i'd be happier if whoever they are thought they'd identified the next wenger/purple face and stuck with him through thick and thin and backed him to the hilt

if KK comes back i think it would only ever be short term, i.e. < 3 years

I'd have him back yesterday. Class manager, no two ways about it.

Is Keegan the only class manager that has won f*** all of worth in a 16 year career?

Name me a crap manager that hasnt been sacked in a 16 year career

Curbishley?

england aside i don't think he failed personally elsewhere...but i do agree with your latter point, and it's the reason i can't see a third coming working

i said this at the time when MA appointed KK that what was needed, IMO then and now, was a clean sweep...a new manager with a long term "plan" (sorry, really i am) in mind

don't get me wrong if whoever takes over brings KK back i'll be happier than i am now but i'd be happier if whoever they are thought they'd identified the next wenger/purple face and stuck with him through thick and thin and backed him to the hilt

if KK comes back i think it would only ever be short term, i.e. < 3 years

By failed I mean didn't succeed greatly if you see what I mean - he didn't really "succeed" here but in terms of establishing something a bit special I think we were unique.

I tend to agree with your main sweep - as I've said before, if he'd been charged in January with keeping us up and then left in May I'd have been happy - however I think on both sides the idea that he would last 3 years with  the structure as rigidly applied as it was in the end was asking too much. I think both Ashley and Keegan probably thought it would be flexible enough for it to work but unfortunately it broke down. (This where I blame all paries but mainly Llambia et al).

On your final point I think if he was given carte blanche (possibly with a stake like Niall Quinn) then I'd trust him more to stay long term.