Terry Venables turned down chance to manage Newcastle in 2008

Guest Chubby Jason
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting pretty fucking tired of wankers saying the fans are to blame for all this mess, tbh.

Did we force Keegan out to start this entire farce? No, so shut the fuck up.

I'm not saying the fans are fully to blame but some need to look at themselves. Remember that vitriol that Allardyce faced after only a few months (Liverpool at home)? Managers, especially in this country, will have noted something like that.

I'm not saying the fans are perfect and have acted with complete dignity throughout this. But put it this way, nobody was against Ashley until Keegan felt he had to walk out. Well, apart from NE5.

Most were at least content with the way we were moving forward, on and off the pitch. The fans are NOT responsible for the mess we now find ourselves in as a club.

ERm...short memory i think. Just because the click wasn't again it, and that any doubt was disregarded with absolute sheer twatness, doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Praying that the club gets bought within a week or so.

Don't care if it's the Nigerians or whoever. Could be North Koreans for all I care.

As much as it pains me to say it - because we are in dire, dire need of some stability - I want people to take their time over this matter. This isn't something you can rush into - we're talking about a multi-million pound business and a huge part of thousands of people's lives.

I would take a short term crisis and a decent new owner over this being sorted now but leaving us with someone dodgy and/or can't fulfill our expectations in the long term.

At the end of the day it is a massive shame that Ashley was so public in making it clear he wanted to sell the club. If he'd done it more quietly or appointed a new manager before making his statement then at least things on the pitch would be more stable and calm.

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid. I'd be surprised if Ashley put any more thought into it than simply turning to whoever is the highest bidder. Hope I'm wrong though.

Getting pretty fucking tired of wankers saying the fans are to blame for all this mess, tbh.

I'm not saying the fans are fully to blame but some need to look at themselves. Remember that vitriol that Allardyce faced after only a few months (Liverpool at home)? Managers, especially in this country, will have noted something like that.

I'm not saying the fans are perfect and have acted with complete dignity throughout this. But put it this way, nobody was against Ashley until Keegan felt he had to walk out. Well, apart from NE5.

Most were at least content with the way we were moving forward, on and off the pitch. The fans are NOT responsible for the mess we now find ourselves in as a club.

ERm...short memory i think. Just because the click wasn't again it, and that any doubt was disregarded with absolute sheer twatness, doesn't mean it wasn't there.

The click? :lol:

Alright I'll rephrase (even though that was rather tongue-in-cheek in the first place); most people were willing to give Ashley a chance.

Alright I'll rephrase (even though that was rather tongue-in-cheek in the first place); most people were willing to give Ashley a chance.

Most people on Newcastle-Online....

;)

Getting pretty f***ing tired of wankers saying the fans are to blame for all this mess, tbh.

Did we force Keegan out to start this entire farce? No, so shut the f*** up.

They have to shoulder some of the blame though.

'Some' being the key word. They probably overreacted to possibly our best ever manager walking out throwing the club into turmoil. No surprise whatsoever. The way some people on here go on you'd think everything was brilliant before the Hull game and I'm bored of it. :dave:

As a group the fans are way down on the 'these people f***ed up' list.

Certainly we've had a part to play in the situation with the campaigning and cockney mafia stuff. Because of our reaction, the volatile man that is Ashley made that premature statement of selling the club, which has now created the situation whereby even Terry Venables is not interested in the job. He's done exactly what the fans were campaigning for, and now we're suffering for it.

No doubt Ashley should have ignored the protests, kept quiet, appointed a new manager, then sold the club behind the scenes if that was his true aim. And no doubt there are other people responsible for Keegan walking out. But theres a missing step in between Keegan walking out and the club becoming such a mess that it cant even appoint someone shit like Venables. As per his official statement, Ashley has listened to the fans and given us what we want. We cant campaign for something, then expect to be absolved of any blame when that campaign is a success. But then, we like to have our cake and eat it too...

Excellent post.

Keegan walking out was a problem because of the timing but it wasn't a disaster as long as we could have got a decent replacement in, the likes of Deschamps, Zico and Terim were all reported to be interested, the problem was made 10 x worse by the fans threatening to boycott merchandise and food inside the ground as that left Ashley in a position where he felt he had to sell, it was a mistake by Ashley to announce his plans to sell before getting a new manager in but it was the protests that turned a shit situation into the complete nightmare we've got on our hands now.

And some people are still willing to give Ashley a chance ;)

Can't believe folk are still blaming the reaction of the fans? The club (whoever it has been ran by) has taken the piss out of us for years and people had finally had enough with the latest debacle. No protests mean that you have to accept how your club is ran and also be prepared to take what you are served with. That's what's happened for the last 40/50 years and look what it's got us - 1 Fairs Cup when it should have been a lot more.

Can't believe folk are still blaming the reaction of the fans? The club (whoever it has been ran by) has taken the piss out of us for years and people had finally had enough with the latest debacle. No protests mean that you have to accept how your club is ran and also be prepared to take what you are served with. That's what's happened for the last 40/50 years and look what it's got us - 1 Fairs Cup when it should have been a lot more.

What did the protests achieve exactly? All it did was provoke Ashley into publicly putting the club up for sale, which has left us in limbo. If it had never happened we may have had a new manager by now. Quite a few of us said protests would make the situation worse, don't shoot us for being right.

What did the protests achieve exactly? All it did was provoke Ashley into publicly putting the club up for sale, which has left us in limbo. If it had never happened we may have had a new manager by now. Quite a few of us said protests would make the situation worse, don't shoot us for being right.

Good post.

Did we have to have a poster with Cockney Mafia Out.  Could it not have been AShley out.  and leave it at that.

Somebody/people made it, there was no committee. I'll stick my hands up to saying I cheered, foolishly.

It was made by a bloke who should have known a lot lot better and who has gone down in my estimations (KK-tastic!) for doing it.

Good post.

If the fans' protests secured Ashley's departure, what would be the obection to that?

Guest Howaythetoon

Getting pretty f***ing tired of wankers saying the fans are to blame for all this mess, tbh.

Did we force Keegan out to start this entire farce? No, so shut the f*** up.

They have to shoulder some of the blame though.

'Some' being the key word. They probably overreacted to possibly our best ever manager walking out throwing the club into turmoil. No surprise whatsoever. The way some people on here go on you'd think everything was brilliant before the Hull game and I'm bored of it. :dave:

As a group the fans are way down on the 'these people f***ed up' list.

Certainly we've had a part to play in the situation with the campaigning and cockney mafia stuff. Because of our reaction, the volatile man that is Ashley made that premature statement of selling the club, which has now created the situation whereby even Terry Venables is not interested in the job. He's done exactly what the fans were campaigning for, and now we're suffering for it.

No doubt Ashley should have ignored the protests, kept quiet, appointed a new manager, then sold the club behind the scenes if that was his true aim. And no doubt there are other people responsible for Keegan walking out. But theres a missing step in between Keegan walking out and the club becoming such a mess that it cant even appoint someone s*** like Venables. As per his official statement, Ashley has listened to the fans and given us what we want. We cant campaign for something, then expect to be absolved of any blame when that campaign is a success. But then, we like to have our cake and eat it too...

Excellent post.

Keegan walking out was a problem because of the timing but it wasn't a disaster as long as we could have got a decent replacement in, the likes of Deschamps, Zico and Terim were all reported to be interested, the problem was made 10 x worse by the fans threatening to boycott merchandise and food inside the ground as that left Ashley in a position where he felt he had to sell, it was a mistake by Ashley to announce his plans to sell before getting a new manager in but it was the protests that turned a s*** situation into the complete nightmare we've got on our hands now.

And when Terim, Deschamps or Zico found out that there isn't any money to spend and that Dennis Wise signs the players and not them?

As far as I'm concerned KK walking exposed the set up and owner for what they really are - the setup being a sham and the owner not really being in it because he loves the club, is one of us and wants what's best for the club, i.e. a genuine long-term commitment to the club.

I'd rather know that than not know it, I'd rather it got into the open sooner rather than later. The fact it did isn't the problem though, its how the people at the centre of it STILL have handled it all. Evidently very badly. They go from one fuck up to another.

The very fact that they have tried to install a temporary manager shows just how clueless they really are. Even had Venables accepted, there is no chance in hell the players would respond to a manager who may or may not be here next month or whenever and there is even less chance of the team being turned around in that time rendering the appointment useless.

That's the level of amateur inexperience and downright cluelessness that has caused all this and made it worse and not fans protesting or some daft banner, they are just byproducts of their mismanagement and so is KK's resignation.

And before you or any fucker starts I did not protest nor did I specifically want Ashley out. I wasn't stupid enough to think everything was going to be OK though.

"Newcastle's talks with Terry Venables over appointing the ex-England coach as their interim manager have hit an impasse, BBC Sport understands.

Newcastle want to appoint Venables on a match-by-match basis but the 65-year-old wants a longer-term offer. "

BBC.

how dare the fans not offer him a longer deal.