Terry Venables turned down chance to manage Newcastle in 2008

Guest Chubby Jason
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Venners will do alright man, his teams always played the right way. Houghton is number 2 & is out of his depth as he is not leader, but he is coach & I thought that is all the club wanted at first team level but this is not the time or place to dwell on such trivia. Lets just get him because he saved Boro & I think we need saving NOW!!!!

We need a figurehead but even in our situation I would find it hard to stomach Terry Veneables as manager.

What a mess. I don't blame Houghton he is not a manager.

Wise is the figurehead as ED(F).

I was gutted this morning ,I woke up the radio saying ED(F) to spend £7.4 billion thought sweet f***ing jesus,  but within 10 seconds found out it is the french bastards at EDF buying our Nuke power stations. Whacked the snooze button after that.

Venables makes me feel sick, it might work in the short term though.

Would probably prefer Hoddle who would probably be more reliable, steadying fit. Venables could be a great fit or it could be a disaster.

Neither inspire me but we dont have many choices and need someone in asap!

Venables makes me feel sick, it might work in the short term though.

Would probably prefer Hoddle who would probably be more reliable, steadying fit. Venables could be a great fit or it could be a disaster.

Neither inspire me but we dont have many choices and need someone in asap!

we could do with Eileen Drewery to sort out the injuries ;)

take him in a shot for a stop gap tbh.

Said this last week - we have few other alternatives and at least he can coach(reputedly..!).

If he turns us down, its George Graham next - if HE turns us down, its Sheff Utd, Doncaster etc next....

Guest nufc_geordie

We certainly need a stop gap until a new regime is installed and set in place. Vebables to the end of October would work IMO and is probably our best option until prospective new managers can talk to the new ownership and discuss where they stand. The only problem will be if El Tel wins a few games....we don't want another Roeder situation.

Terry Venables has been contacted by Newcastle about becoming their new boss. (Various)

Venables is set for talks with the Magpies and will let them know on Thursday whether he wants to become their caretaker manager. (Daily Mirror)

Despite the uncertainty over the future ownership of the club, Newcastle hope to lure Venables by offering him a short-term deal, and paying him accordingly as a fire-fighter. (The Independent)

The Magpies have also contacted another former England manager, Glenn Hoddle, about the post. (The Times)

Newcastle's current owner Mike Ashley hopes to announce a successor to Kevin Keegan before Saturday's home game against Blackburn. (The Times)

Tottenham assistant manager Gus Poyet, Blackburn boss Paul Ince and former French international Didier Deschamps are no longer in the frame for the St James' Park post. (The Times)

As good a temporary solution as you can get I suppose.

Certainly preferable to going without a manager unitll the takeover is all wrapped up.

might be very temporary if this Nigerian takeover is completed and Keegan is installed as boss again as they said. Venners in the job for 2 days tops then?

tomorrow's times reckons we will go for hoddle if el tel says no

:lol:

The sound of a barrel bottom being scraped.

I think we've lifted up the barrel and are chipping away at the soil underneath

Just used you as an example nothing personal but whats everyone got against Venables even if only short term ?