Terry Venables turned down chance to manage Newcastle in 2008

Guest Chubby Jason
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not that i'm overwhelmed by the appointment but atleast we aren't going to have to put up with Houghton's random lineups now.

Venebles isn't the greatest, but atleast he does seem to have something about him to suggest he can do ok for us and move us away from 19th (maybe to 18th).

Don't really like the man and think he talks bollocks as a pundit, but we really have no other choice. You won't get many other managers coming into this job short term.

Im a bit miffed why Richard Money isnt in temp charge rather than clipboard Chris at the moment tbh. Money has managerial experience after all.

Can anyone moaning about Venables answer this question:

"You need an emergency manager to come in for one month. Who do you appoint?"

If you can't come up with a satisfactory answer then shut it.

souness

dalgleish

curbishley

peter reid

howard wilkinson

etc

etc etc

al preferable to a 3rd cockney gangster

souness

dalgleish

curbishley

peter reid

howard wilkinson

etc

etc etc

You think Souness and Wilkinson are preferable to Venables??(Dalglish has already said No to the job before being asked).........Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear....

souness

dalgleish

curbishley

peter reid

howard wilkinson

etc

etc etc

is this a wind up? 

souness

dalgleish

curbishley

peter reid

howard wilkinson

etc

etc etc

You think Souness and Wilkinson are preferable to Venables??(Dalglish has already said No to the job before being asked).........Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear....

You Souness what!!! Did you just land on planet earth?  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

Just to be clear, my post was meant for insanojackson not merlin obviously

souness

dalgleish

curbishley

peter reid

howard wilkinson

etc

etc etc

Fuck me your going to be late for school son

souness

dalgleish

curbishley

peter reid

howard wilkinson

etc

etc etc

You should have took the second option.

Let me tell you about Venables from a Boro perspective.  When he came in, we had just drawn 2-2 at home to Bradford City with a last minute equaliser and then lost two on the bounce. Sinking fast and crewed by honest journeymen like Curtis Fleming, Paul Okon and Brian Deane. One gem in the rough being Boksic.

Venables came in, got us playing in a nice, tight formation with Okon as a sweeper and we ground out survival with games to spare including wins over Chelsea, Liverpool and you might remember Boksic's virtuoso display at SJP.

He's a master at using the materials he has - at Leeds, his first action was to be told by the board that he had to sell Ferdinand. In effect his hands were tied but he still did the best job he could.

You have far more quality in the team, especially up front, than we did but you do need some quick results to avoid a tailspin. TV is the man - and he's one of only two or three managers in the world who can coax something out of the V-Bomber - similar to his work with Boksic.

Some of you might not like him but look at the league table and last nights attendance. You need a quick fix to make sure the next guy isn't looking up from the bottom of the table and believe me, a choice between Teesside Tel and O'Leary is no choice at all. 

souness

dalgleish

curbishley

peter reid

howard wilkinson

etc

etc etc

Get a fuckin grip man - PETER REID? GRAEME SOUNESS? Why not add Allardyce in there an all, after all he's not a COCKNEY is he?

Pathetic. We are desperate and if Venables can hold the fort for a couple of months until this unholy mess is sorted out then bring him in tomorrow.

Let me tell you about Venables from a Boro perspective.  When he came in, we had just drawn 2-2 at home to Bradford City with a last minute equaliser and then lost two on the bounce. Sinking fast and crewed by honest journeymen like Curtis Fleming, Paul Okon and Brian Deane. One gem in the rough being Boksic.

Venables came in, got us playing in a nice, tight formation with Okon as a sweeper and we ground out survival with games to spare including wins over Chelsea, Liverpool and you might remember Boksic's virtuoso display at SJP.

He's a master at using the materials he has - at Leeds, his first action was to be told by the board that he had to sell Ferdinand. In effect his hands were tied but he still did the best job he could.

You have far more quality in the team, especially up front, than we did but you do need some quick results to avoid a tailspin. TV is the man - and he's one of only two or three managers in the world who can coax something out of the V-Bomber - similar to his work with Boksic.

Some of you might not like him but look at the league table and last nights attendance. You need a quick fix to make sure the next guy isn't looking up from the bottom of the table and believe me, a choice between Teesside Tel and O'Leary is no choice at all. 

Cheers for that. :thup:

On Viduka, he'll probably not play a game in Venables' time here if it's indeed a short-term thing.

Is he supposed to decide this morning? or Tomorrow morning?

I would hope this morning if he's to do anything for the Blackburn game. Tonight to work out what he has and to construct a plan, then tomorrow to work on that plan in training. All a bit rushed, but thats where we are.

Thanks, I can back that up as I remember it very well. Venables is not a great guy to have in long term but as a short term firefighter he is ideal. Superb coach and tactician and a very good motivator. I'm pretty sure Sheraer has described him as the best coach he has ever worked with. Brain dead morons please consider this carefully before you start screaming hysterically about cockneys.

FWIW, I don't think he'll take up the offer anyway, there are suggestions he might be concerned about the hostility of brain dead morons.

Why do so many dislike him? I dont know much about him, but he has a good CV. What makes El Tel a bad manager?

'E's a cockernee doncha know?

Aahh, ok. Since im not a from Newcastle and I dont hate all londoners, I think I do want El Tel as our manager atm. Rather have a cockney than Souness og Reid ffs!!