Terry Venables turned down chance to manage Newcastle in 2008

Guest Chubby Jason
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why do so many dislike him? I dont know much about him, but he has a good CV. What makes El Tel a bad manager?

'E's a cockernee doncha know?

Aahh, ok. Since im not a from Newcastle and I dont hate all londoners, I think I do want El Tel as our manager atm. Rather have a cockney than Souness og Reid ffs!!

No true Newcastle fan would want a cockney near this club. Look at what they've done. They're pure evil and they all hate the North East. Especially that Mike Ashley, the worst type of cockney (the kind who hail from Buckinghamshire).

Why do so many dislike him? I dont know much about him, but he has a good CV. What makes El Tel a bad manager?

Aahh, ok. Since im not a from Newcastle and I dont hate all londoners, I think I do want El Tel as our manager atm. Rather have a cockney than Souness og Reid ffs!!

No true Newcastle fan would want a cockney near this club. Look at what they've done. They're pure evil and they all hate the North East. Especially that Mike Ashley, the worst type of cockney (the kind who hail from Buckinghamshire).

Agree.

I was gutted this morning ,I woke up the radio saying ED(F) to spend £7.4 billion thought sweet f***ing jesus,  but within 10 seconds found out it is the french bastards at EDF buying our Nuke power stations. Whacked the snooze button after that.

I did that exact same think.  Perked up at "French company EDF are spending around £7 billion to buy Newc..." but it turned out to be "nuclear power stations" instead of "Newcastle" >_<

Would welcome Venables, personally.  Chancer he may be, but he sets his teams up properly and he's got more than enough experience to get us through to Christmas without losing every game.  My only concern would be how the fans would take to him.

I've never felt so remote from my fellow fans as when they were bellowing about the cockney mafia, but if there's any further grief about him being a cockney, it'll probably nail the coffin shut for me as far as going to the game is concerned.  Still love the club, but I was embarrassed at the pitiful parochial attitudes on display at the Hull game and on the telly.  Got to get away from our pathetic hero worshipping and get on with who's best for the job.  It was bad enough when Freddie Shepherd went on about us wanting Geordies playing for and managing the club; I didn't think anyone actually agreed with him.

(IMO, of course)

Similar to my thinking. I wouldn't "welcome" Venables exactly, but he's no idiot, has plenty of experience, doesn't get rattled easily, and as a steady-the-ship stopgap I think he'd be a good choice.

If small-minded hostility to "cockneys" makes his job impossible, then we probably deserve to go down.

Can anyone moaning about Venables answer this question:

"You need an emergency manager to come in for one month. Who do you appoint?"

If you can't come up with a satisfactory answer then shut it.

souness

dalgleish

curbishley

peter reid

howard wilkinson

etc

etc etc

al preferable to a 3rd cockney gangster

It's come to this. We're going to get fucked over on Saturday.

Beggers can't be choosers, we need someone with managerial experience who's willing to do a short term job and we need them yesterday.

We're not going to get a manager that anyone would ideally want at the helm, and if we did we'd be losing them anyway when the new buyer comes in and wants their own man in charge.

souness

dalgleish

curbishley

peter reid

howard wilkinson

etc

etc etc

You agree with that abomination of a post?

Just to reiterate, the name of SOUNESS is included in that list.

I don't hate Londoners at all, some of my best friends etc. OK we have a laugh about it, but really, if you know the people with the banner, please tell them to cut it out. It makes us look like dicks apart from anything else, and we're getting quite enough humiliation on the pitch.

souness

dalgleish

curbishley

peter reid

howard wilkinson

etc

etc etc

You agree with that abomination of a post?

Just to reiterate, the name of SOUNESS is included in that list.

No, just agree that it's a realistic list, and some of them would likely refuse.

*edit* By 'come to this' I mean we're barrel scraping, as no decent manager would touch us.

Agree.

Disagree. I do hate Ashley, I do hate Wise and I really really hate that Llamblias or whats his name. But I dont hate all londoners.. If Venables can come here for one month and do a better job than our current "caretaker" that id be happy with that.

Imo a true Newcastle fan would want what is best for the club. And right now, we are in the deepest shit around and wether you like or not, El Tel might be the best shitdigger that would want jo join us for a short period of time.

Oh I see what you mean, the cockney gangster bit as well as Souness. No, I was just bemoaning the terrible state our club is in when they're seen as the best we could hope for.

I skipped out on going to the game last night, even left the pub at half time, I really can't remember doing that before. If I could stop caring I would. Can cope with the highs and lows, but this feels like a roller-coaster which only does downwards. Could be worse, and will be if the mackems beat us next month. I'm expecting some long overdue abuse from them.

Oh I see what you mean, the cockney gangster bit as well as Souness. No, I was just bemoaning the terrible state our club is in when they're seen as the best we could hope for.

I skipped out on going to the game last night, even left the pub at half time, I really can't remember doing that before. If I could stop caring I would. Can cope with the highs and lows, but this feels like a roller-coaster which only does downwards. Could be worse, and will be if the mackems beat us next month. I'm expecting some long overdue abuse from them.

Fair enough. The very fact we're after such a manager in the first place is a disgrace.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/3076503/Cockney-Red-Adair-will-fight-fire-with-fire---Football.html

'Cockney Red Adair' Terry Venables will fight fire with fire at Newcastle United

Maybe it's because he's a Londoner that Mike Ashley wants Terry Venables to join him at Newcastle United.

Venables would seem to be the perfect addition to the so-called Cockney Mafia who have borne the brunt of Geordie opprobrium since Kevin Keegan quit St James' Park three weeks ago today.

By virtue of his background, Venables is perfectly qualified to become part of Newcastle owner Ashley's besieged ruling elite on Tyneside, but there is a lot more to recommend the former England, Tottenham and Barcelona manager to Ashley.

"He'll tick all the boxes for a club in dire straits like Newcastle," said Don Howe, who assisted Venables during England's Euro 96 campaign.

"Not only is he excellent when it comes to organising but when he's on the spot he's also adept at identifying problems and providing remedies. In terms of man-management, Terry's brilliant on a one-on-one basis and that will really help players such as Steven Taylor, who seems to be having a rough time of late."

The likes of White Hart Lane, Loftus Road, Stamford Bridge, Selhurst Park and the Nou Camp might figure most prominently on this Pearly King's CV, but it will be his stint in the North East that will make him more appealing to Ashley.

Seven years ago Venables was called in by the Middlesbrough chairman, Steve Gibson, to pull his club out of a tailspin towards relegation under Bryan Robson, and even though he signed only Dean Windass, he succeeded in reversing the club's decline by turning Boro into a resilient unit.

Given that relegation to the Championship would potentially knock millions off the St James' Park price tag, the Cockney Red Adair persona that Venables had at the Riverside will endear him to Ashley.

It is not the first time the Newcastle owner has considered hiring Venables. He short-listed him to be his new director of football earlier this year before opting for Dennis Wise instead.

Wise has been cast as the villain of the piece on Tyneside as tensions have risen as quickly as the spectre of relegation, but Ashley will be confident that Venables has the temperament to deal with the singular pressure that will accompany the Newcastle hot seat.

"Terry's a very thick-skinned guy and he won't let the fans' anger towards the Newcastle hierarchy put him off the job, or undermine his efforts to make a good fist of it," Howe added.

"All in all I can't think of a better person to appoint than Terry and I'm sure Alan Shearer would agree because he thought the world of him, which might get more Geordies on his side. It would make perfect sense."

Anyone of even decent ability is needed DESPERATELY.

Venables has decent ability. Just keep him away from the money side.

This thing with Big Al though - was working last night and listening to Century.

The commentator said that Shearer "thought the world of Venables" and Bobby Moncur laughed then tried to cover it, and gave the impression with his non-commital, democratic answering that it may not be the case. Strange. He should know more than us, eh ?

Anyone of even decent ability is needed DESPERATELY.

Venables has decent ability. Just keep him away from the money side.

This thing with Big Al though - was working last night and listening to Century.

The commentator said that Shearer "thought the world of Venables" and Bobby Moncur laughed then tried to cover it, and gave the impression with his non-commital, democratic answering that it may not be the case. Strange. He should know more than us, eh ?

He probably doesn't.

Like him or not he knows what he is doing, long term I would be crying but we cannot go on with Hughton not having a clue what he is doing. El Tel will sort them out so we at least have shape and the right players in the right positions.

Like him or not he knows what he is doing, long term I would be crying but we cannot go on with Hughton not having a clue what he is doing. El Tel will sort them out so we at least have shape and the right players in the right positions.

Yeah, that would be nice wouldn't it?

Yeah, that would be nice wouldn't it?

Oh aye, coz having a left footed CB at RB and a CB as a CM, a LW as a LB is just getting silly.