Terry Venables turned down chance to manage Newcastle in 2008

Guest Chubby Jason
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would be frustrated just because it would mean the selling of the club is going to take a while.

I really hope something is close to happening and they are just making preparations in case things fall through.

I really hope something is close to happening and they are just making preparations in case things fall through.

You can't buy a football club overnight. Abu Dhabi only took over at Man City this week, it was just they were rich enough to plow some money in before due dilligence.

Someone who's biggest achievement in the last fifteen years is more impressive than winning seven games out of twenty six with Boro.

You weren't around for Euro 96 then I take it.

Ah yes Euro 96

Where we were at home and didn't have to qualify, drew with Switzerland in the first game, should have been level with Scotland until Gazza's wondergoal, beat a Dutch team in total disarray, beat Spain on penalties after they had a perfectly good goal disallowed in normal time, then went out to a poor German team missing Klinsmann and Sammer on penalties.

But eh remember that Christmas tree formation?

Someone who's biggest achievement in the last fifteen years is more impressive than winning seven games out of twenty six with Boro.

Ah yes Euro 96

Where we were at home and didn't have to qualify, drew with Switzerland in the first game, should have been level with Scotland until Gazza's wondergoal, beat a Dutch team in total disarray, beat Spain on penalties after they had a perfectly good goal disallowed in normal time, then went out to a poor German team missing Klinsmann and Sammer on penalties.

So who would you have as Manager then? Someone who doesn't mind taking the job on a temporary basis?

Ah yes Euro 96

ah all those if's and but's eh?! Never mind we actually got to the semi's, its the fact we shouldnt have that counts isnt it.

Ah yes Euro 96

ah all those if's and but's eh?! Never mind we actually got to the semi's, its the fact we shouldnt have that counts isnt it.

It's the fact we won two games against Scotland and a Dutch team not speaking to each other with home advantage that counts. And Venables is still living off it today.

Ah yes Euro 96

Should have been level, why?  We thrashed Holland BTW, to spin that negatively is just really silly.  Gives the impression you have an agenda.

Ah yes Euro 96

And yet his overall record with England still pisses all over Keegans.  So adding this to his record at Boro that you slated being comparable with Keegans here, it's not the best argument in the world is it?

I'm not trying to be anti Keegan, just pointing out the flaws in your case against cockney Venables.

Guest helios_centric

England were wonderful against Holland - one of the best displays I can recall by our national side. The England squad in Euro 96 under Venables had real spirit and played with a degree of flair and passion. The prospect of Venables coming here does not excite me at all, but give credit where it's due.

There's a very fine line between success and failure in international tournaments. If nadal's or mcallister's penalty goes in, things are very different. Same can therefore be said of phil neville's stupid last minute tackle under kk. Wouldn't slag off his euro 96 record but nor would i claim that it says anything about his managerial ability.

Ah yes Euro 96

So who would you have as Manager then? Someone who doesn't mind taking the job on a temporary basis?

The fact we've heard nothing more suggests to me he's rejected the post. If Sky knew anything in the first place.

I think the fact he made it public knowledge that he'd been approached suggests he's not going to take the job in any case. I doubt the Club would have wanted it leaked. Supposedly holding talks today though so you never know.

Guest Brazilianbob

I think Venables will reject it because the NUFC managers job has become a poisened chalice.

Unless of course, Ashley has decided to throw an obscene amount of money at him for his proposed 6 week tenure, which may well be extended if the club does not sell in that time, and he has a modicum of success, which may get the fans rooting for him and the team.

Meanwhile the club keep offering the job to all and sundry and when one poor fool accepts he will be elevated to exalted position of being the clubs first choice all along.

Guest johnson293

How much can he do in 6 weeks with that mess ?

Some very good players and a LOT of dross, and a massive loss of ANY confidence.

I thought the same, but also how will the players respond to any new bloke coming in, knowing that as/when the club is sold, there is potentially another new manager coming in, with a whole new set of ideas again?

Unless its Keegan!

However, I think the last few games have shown that regardless of injuries to players, the ones that are available/playing are lacking in direction, motivation and confidence. So if Venables, or anyone else can come in and give some of that back to the players, even for the next few weeksm, it can only (hopefully) help results/performances.

How much can he do in 6 weeks with that mess ?

Some very good players and a LOT of dross, and a massive loss of ANY confidence.

I thought the same, but also how will the players respond to any new bloke coming in, knowing that as/when the club is sold, there is potentially another new manager coming in, with a whole new set of ideas again?

Unless its Keegan!

However, I think the last few games have shown that regardless of injuries to players, the ones that are available/playing are lacking in direction, motivation and confidence. So if Venables, or anyone else can come in and give some of that back to the players, even for the next few weeksm, it can only (hopefully) help results/performances.

Exactly.