Is this the worst time you have had being a supporter of NUFC?

kane2005

I dont think the feeling I had when we got beat off Sunderland 2-1 with Shearer being on the bench , and us having a long haired twat in charge comes anywhere near the way I feel now.

I dont think losing in the FA Cup Final 2 years in a row , I had such a feeling I have now.

Was it ever this bad under , Gullit , Daglish , Roeder , Allerdyce ?

Guest Darth Toon

0-2 at home to the mackems in the 1990 play-offs shits all over this for sheer misery.

There's time yet though, it's going to get worse before it gets better....

Back in the Dalglish/Gullit times I felt pretty depressed as a fan, I think more so than now, but that may be because I was a lot younger then. Like a lot of people, Im just apathetic these days, I feel like its gone beyond the point where I believe it can get better any time soon.

I honestly feel like relegation has been on the cards for us too many times in recent seasons for us to be going through this sort of thing. I haven't however, felt that relegation was a possibility so early into a new season.

As far as a particular moment goes, the FA Cup final loss in 98 was bad, I'll always remember them playing a fucking depressing lighthouse family song after the game as well.

No. Being dismantled by Souness has to be the worst time, that was the fall from grace after such an epic, unappreciated revival. It really feels like our last chance now, our time has now past.

I'm not sure...maybe? Not sure if staying down here and keep fuking up is worse than falling, it's certainly a bad time and one of the worst for anyone under 30.

thing is, at the moment things are bad, but i really think things could dramatically improve over the next few weeks. (i hope) Whereas under those other people you mentioned, it was just plain shite with no end in sight until they were inevitably sacked.

im still hoping i can use the phrase, those who laugh last, laugh longest one day.

I'm willing to tempt fate by asking how much worse could it possibly get?

As for me, I wasn't even walking when we were in the lower divisions so I can't imagine what it was like.  This is pretty bad though, not happy with anything about this situation at all.

Guest Darth Toon

I'm willing to tempt fate by asking how much worse could it possibly get?

No-one buys us and we get relegated.

Trying to find a crumb of hope, I was reading about the Tevez saga yesterday, and the season he kept West Ham up they only had 20 points after 29 games, so we've got a bit of time to sort things out yet...

You'd have to be either very young or have short memories to think these times are the worst.

As other people have said remember the dark days of relegations. Losing to the Mackems in the playoffs.

How about the seasons pre-Keegan as manager when that gate of 20,000 the other night would have been a miracle.

12,000 against Boro in the League Cup in 1990 for example. Any Ossie Ardiles game.

The infamous 1980-81 season with Shinton top scorer with 7 out of a total of 30 goals for the team.

Much, much more I could mention.

Stood in the away end at Derby in 1992, watching the fourth Derby goal go in and thinking that's it. Feeling powerless to do anything about it as a clueless ref sent off our 3rd player (although I've never experienced an atmosphere like it since). SJH warning that the club may not survive if we were relegated.

Actually, come to think of it, I think that was when one of mates unscrewed one of the light bulbs from the scoreboard, took it home and tried it in his bedroom for a couple of days. It was like the fucking aliens were landing in his room. He got bollocked for the size of the leccy bill as well.

So some happy memories as well.

This IS the worst time of all - I saw relegation in 77 after a couple of good years, relegation in 89, fear of Div 3 in 92, but through all that, we had hope of renewal and something better coming along ; this is NOT the case today because football has changed so much in the last 10 years(esp the last 5)that relegation would probably mean never again being the club we were in the mid-90s...

Mega-rich clubs like Man C, Man U , Chelsea etc will monopolize all the top players, and I even think there could be a break-away Euro League in  a few years, leaving the rest of the Prem adrift in the same way as the Championship is today.

What also makes this situation even worse is that it looked as if, at long last, we had started to recover from the drift and were going to make progress with Ashley & KK, only to have the whole thing collapse through lack of good management and inefficiency.

If we go down this season, we will end up like Wolves - a former 'big' club who have a nice stadium which they only fill every time a Prem club arrives in the FA Cup.

These are terrible times for a once-great football club.

Interesting point from merlin on the changed face of top-flight football in this country, and a question to the other older posters who have seen much more relegation and the like than me; do you feel relegation then meant what it means now?

I don't think that it's the same. Before the really big money came into the Premier League, it was possible for teams to go up and down, there was always hope as most were competing on a similar financial footing. Look at us in 1993-94, nobody will EVER be promoted into the Premier League again and finish 3rd in their first year. It just won't happen.

The worry is that where there was hope before of recovering, if we fuck up this time we may never be back.

I'm not saying I'm definitely right here btw, just wondering what people's thoughts are.

I think it means the same.

The only difference if you check the leagues pre-90's is that the same bloody teams have dominated far too bloody much.

Relegation is no different. Same bigger teams have more chance of coming up than smaller, but some still succed through settled, competent boards more than management. (What we don't have and haven't since John Hall)

Could we recover from a relegation? It's a tough one to call. We'd be the biggest scalp in the second tier there has been for as long as i can remember, every team would treat us like a cup game, whereas we'd be so down and losing our best players we'd barely have it in us to play. The fans would be gone, the cub financially would become unstable with almost any owner, and the longer it goes on, the more we fade in to oblivion.

The Championship is a strong league these days, right now with our team, would we even win it? Never mind after the humiliation of relegation and what comes with it.

What also makes this situation even worse is that it looked as if, at long last, we had started to recover from the drift and were going to make progress with Ashley & KK, only to have the whole thing collapse through lack of good management and inefficiency.

Spot on, I've had all to many bad times, but there is something sickeningly desperate about the club now, and how all to quick we have collapsed.  A sheep in wolves clothing.

[optimist]Still, you never know whats around the corner eh?[/optimist]

Could we recover from a relegation? It's a tough one to call. We'd be the biggest scalp in the second tier there has been for as long as i can remember, every team would treat us like a cup game, whereas we'd be so down and losing our best players we'd barely have it in us to play. The fans would be gone, the cub financially would become unstable with almost any owner, and the longer it goes on, the more we fade in to oblivion.

The Championship is a strong league these days, right now with our team, would we even win it? Never mind after the humiliation of relegation and what comes with it.

Thats about the size of it

And Leeds can confirm it.....