Shepherd's FourFourTwo interview

Syrette

looking foward to his autoboigraphy tbh

always thought it was Hall who had more influence over the Bobby sacking tbh

Should be a great read, may take few years to get past legal though.

They might as well just classify it as fiction and get it straight on to the shelves.

They might as well just classify it as fiction and get it straight on to the shelves.

I know you not keen of the fella & at times he has been a bit of dickhead but reading the thoughts of someone who has been in or around the top at Newcastle United for such a long time should be good reading.

I know you not keen of the fella & at times he has been a bit of dickhead but reading the thoughts of someone who has been in or around the top at Newcastle United for such a long time should be good reading.

Depends on who's written it. Could be a bland whitewash. Can't imagine the evverything-is--someone-else's-fault approach being too riveting, though obviously some will lap it up.

Depends on who's written it. Could be a bland whitewash.

maybe you could email your cockney journo who you dished the dirt on the club to ? I'm sure with a bit of prompting from you he might make up some good stuff  bluelaugh.gif

Did he mention that he still has 5 resignation letters from Keegan? When Ashley brought Keegan back from the Soccer Circus he made a big deal of it then insinuating Keegan was a serial quitter. Don't think he'd want to upset the toon army by mentioning it now though somehow.

It's a pity this interview isn't online anywhere. I bet there's a fair few nuggets in there.

There's a fair few in the first post tbh. Allardyce would have turned it round for example. What... by getting back the £6m he wasted on Smith?

It's a pity this interview isn't online anywhere. I bet there's a fair few nuggets in there.

Erm, no, there isn't. If there was any more I would have posted them.

It isn't a very long interview to be honest (only half a page to be exact) and I've listed and described all the interesting and debatable points. The only other things he talked about was the fish fingers at Grimsby being the best he's ever tasted (and how we drenched them in champagne when we won promotion in 93), that Shearer "was the best pound for pound signing in football" (fair comment), that Keegan left the first time round because of his strained relationship with the Halls as well as the club becoming a PLC (common knowledge), how impressed he was with Gullit when he came into his office and resigned after that Sunderland match ("That show's his stature. he's one of the most honourable men in football.") and how the press always has the last word ("I don't hold grudges, apart from one or two troublemakers.").

“Sam would have turned it around,” adds Shepherd. “He missed out on great players because there was a 10-day period when he couldn’t sign anyone because of the takeover. Glen Johnson, Sylvain Distin, Steve Sidwell, Tal Ben Haim, Roberto Carlos… all on Bosmans."

To start with Glen Johnson wasn't on a Bosman, Sidwell agreed to join Chelsea even before Ashley bought out Sir John Hall and Distin signed for Portsmouth on the day Ashley bought those shares so I'm not sure how that stopped Distin coming here when the sale came out of the blue according to Shepherd, we were in for Ben Haim but he turned us down publicly for Chelsea so again I'm not sure what that has to do with the takeover.

Fat Fred said:

Believes he could not have done any more. Says we missed out on Rooney, Woodgate, Campbell, Figo and Robbie Keane.
The reason we missed out on Rooney was Fred's decision to manoever his bulky frame in front of a Sky sports camera and tell the whole world Everton could have £20 million in cash for him.

Perhaps if he'd been more discrete we might (might) just have landed him.

As it was his public boasting did no more than trigger a bidding war with Man U.

Perhaps Fat Fred should have done less, rather than more to get Rooney.

?Sam would have turned it around,? adds Shepherd. ?He missed out on great players because there was a 10-day period when he couldn?t sign anyone because of the takeover. Glen Johnson, Sylvain Distin, Steve Sidwell, Tal Ben Haim, Roberto Carlos? all on Bosmans."

To start with Glen Johnson wasn't on a Bosman, Sidwell agreed to join Chelsea even before Ashley bought out Sir John Hall and Distin signed for Portsmouth on the day Ashley bought those shares so I'm not sure how that stopped Distin coming here when the sale came out of the blue according to Shepherd, we were in for Ben Haim but he turned us down publicly for Chelsea so again I'm not sure what that has to do with the takeover.

Yeah but, hey, Roberto Carlos was obviously just dying to come and play for Allardyce.

Guest elbee909

So, to summarise, nothing was Freddy's fault, it was the Halls, Souness, Mike Ashley, Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy.

And fans and managers generally.

you backed Souness to be the new Alex Ferguson right until the day he left didn't you  mackems.gif

Top boss, Souness.

Erm, no, there isn't. If there was any more I would have posted them.

It isn't a very long interview to be honest (only half a page to be exact) and I've listed and described all the interesting and debatable points. The only other things he talked about was the fish fingers at Grimsby being the best he's ever tasted (and how we drenched them in champagne when we won promotion in 93), that Shearer "was the best pound for pound signing in football" (fair comment), that Keegan left the first time round because of his strained relationship with the Halls as well as the club becoming a PLC (common knowledge), how impressed he was with Gullit when he came into his office and resigned after that Sunderland match ("That show's his stature. he's one of the most honourable men in football.") and how the press always has the last word ("I don't hold grudges, apart from one or two troublemakers.").

read "those bastards that didn't write nice things about me and who I couldn't control.

I know that he threatened certain journos several times.

highly amusing that people are all complaining about personal grudges about Shepherd, rather than lack of understanding about football as has been shown by the current owner and his men.

bluelaugh.gif

Its really just great, that all this embarrassment [for those who actually take notice of phone ins etc] has stopped since Ashley and his men have dumped us into the biggest crisis since 1977-78

highly amusing that people are all complaining about personal grudges about Shepherd, rather than lack of understanding about football as has been shown by the current owner and his men.

bluelaugh.gif

Its really just great, that all this embarrassment [for those who actually take notice of phone ins etc] has stopped since Ashley and his men have dumped us into the biggest crisis since 1977-78

Plenty of people have had a go at the current owner, I'm not surprised that it's gone over your head though.

bluelaugh.gif

I'm banking on loacal hero Shepherd to save the club rather than plough his money into some mediocre Spanish outfit near a beach resort.

bluelaugh.gif

I'm banking on loacal hero Shepherd to save the club rather than plough his money into some mediocre Spanish outfit near a beach resort.

you're losing your rag aren't you  bluelaugh.gif