Are there professional agitators in the media where NUFC is concerned?

Big Geordie

It's something that many of us wonder about, and some are convinced that there are folk in the media who go out of their way to cause trouble at the club. It's something that Souness alluded to, after today's game. However he chose to attack the local media (probably The Three Legends), rather than outsiders who I feel are more to blame.

We've become something of an easy target in recent years, with regards to the continual soap opera at the club. Since KK left, the media have gone into overdrive and it culminated with JK's rant at The Mirror hacks, last week. That was probably what many of us have wanted to say to the gutter press for some time and whilst the swearing was un-necessary, the overall message/intent came through loud and clear. I fully back JK on that.  :thup: I expect though that he's now made himself a few enemies who will now seek to make his stay as uncomfortable as possible. However, today's excellent comeback at Everton should dilute any hassle. I'm sure plenty of hacks were poised to stick the knife in, should we have lost.

For a club which isn't supposed to be 'big', we don't half get plenty of media attention and I bet the likes of Spurs, Everton and to a lesser extent, Liverpool - have been grateful for the goings on here. After all, it's deflected attention which those clubs could well have received due to politics at their club.

Yes.

But they were at it before Keegan, during Keegan and will continue long after Keegan.

The level of abuse and mischief making from certain journalists (Bird the c@nt, wheez keys Louise etc) goes way beyond even gutter press reporting and has to be agenda driven. (Bitter macums perhaps or something more ?)

Report on how bad we are by all means but do it properly.

What Joe said was so true and long overdue.

What annoys me more than anything about the press is that Spurs are bottom and yet none of their fans are criticised for being deluded even though none of our fans expected/hoped for more than a top half finish and they (in the press) were saying top 4 for Spurs.

The Spurs hacks are the real deluded lot and are too wrapped up in themselves to see it or admit it.

Souness said that there were a couple of ex-players who were persistently causing trouble for managers.

I assume that one of those he had in mind was Supermouth, who always seems eager to draw attention to himself.

I really don't know who the other would be. Possibly Moncur, but he's always seemed quite fair to me.

Guest Howaythetoon

Souness said that there were a couple of ex-players who were persistently causing trouble for managers.

I assume that one of those he had in mind was Supermouth, who always seems eager to draw attention to himself.

I really don't know who the other would be. Possibly Moncur, but he's always seemed quite fair to me.

Regardless, winning matches will keep them off your back. I hate it when managers moan about the press or media.

Regardless, winning matches will keep them off your back. I hate it when managers moan about the press or media.

But even when we have, they are still ready to stick the knife in. In this case it's the British media building something up, then taking great pleasure in knocking it down. Hard.

It's something that many of us wonder about, and some are convinced that there are folk in the media who go out of their way to cause trouble at the club. It's something that Souness alluded to, after today's game. However he chose to attack the local media (probably The Three Legends), rather than outsiders who I feel are more to blame.

We've become something of an easy target in recent years, with regards to the continual soap opera at the club. Since KK left, the media have gone into overdrive and it culminated with JK's rant at The Mirror hacks, last week. That was probably what many of us have wanted to say to the gutter press for some time and whilst the swearing was un-necessary, the overall message/intent came through loud and clear. I fully back JK on that.  Thumbs up I expect though that he's now made himself a few enemies who will now seek to make his stay as uncomfortable as possible. However, today's excellent comeback at Everton should dilute any hassle. I'm sure plenty of hacks were poised to stick the knife in, should we have lost.

For a club which isn't supposed to be 'big', we don't half get plenty of media attention and I bet the likes of Spurs, Everton and to a lesser extent, Liverpool - have been grateful for the goings on here. After all, it's deflected attention which those clubs could well have received due to politics at their club.

Oh I don't know about that. I thought his first and second sentences were very statesman like.

I don't know about the press - I hate most of them but I can't believe there's any agenda behind what they're writing. We just lurch from one crisis to the next, so we give them plenty of ammo. Also we're 'simple northerners', so they naturally patronise us.

It's telling how much grief Spurs have avoided though, even down south I don't see much abuse directed towards them in the media or among fans.

Well "professional" doesn't really go with the type of hacks we are talking about does it?

It makes me sick when at the beginning of every season Spurs are touted to break into the top 4 and then when they fail miserably get barely any coverage for it compared to us. I know we are our own worst enemies but the way they went after JK and the "day off" story was just unnecessary and you'd be embarrassed if that was the only story you could come up with.

I find it a bit strange the way that Wheyse keyse has gone very quiet on us, is she saving all her ammo for KK coming back?

And the way they wank over ex Man U players is absolutely shocking, Roy Keane, wank wank - aren't his shoes lovely and shiny? I can't remember where I read that line ("Even Keane's shoes are sparkling and shiny") but the length they will go to crawl up his backside amazes me (it shouldn't).

Newcastle often has harsh commentatries centered on it, but I think some people need to stop looking for things that aren't there. The media want stories, Newcastle United provides stories. That's what the media do, and will prey on stories like this because that's how they sell their papers, and get more exposure, whether it's right or wrong. They will go to lengths to exaggerate the story as well. That's not just Newcastle, that's most clubs; just it happens to Newcastle more than most.

Talk of a "conspiracy" however and "professional agitators" to me though is nonsense at best.

Talk of a "conspiracy" however and "professional agitators" to me though is nonsense at best.

Agreed.

Maybe replace "professional agitators" with "bitter macum's who got a poor university degree in English and decided to pursue a career in journalism" and it could be closer to the truth.

Newcastle often has harsh commentatries centered on it, but I think some people need to stop looking for things that aren't there. The media want stories, Newcastle United provides stories. That's what the media do, and will prey on stories like this because that's how they sell their papers, and get more exposure, whether it's right or wrong. They will go to lengths to exaggerate the story as well. That's not just Newcastle, that's most clubs; just it happens to Newcastle more than most.

I agree with you about the "conspiracy", but IMO there are certainly "professional agitators" and not just in relation to Newcastle.  If you work as a "rent-a-quote" in the media then it's in your financial best interests to have something outspoken or controversial to say to maximise the amount of work you get.

Sure we are guilty of providing plenty for the media to talk about ourselves, but it's still sickening to hear someone like "Super"mac doing his best to stir things up further and almost reveling in the troubles at the club so that he can make a few extra quid on the back of his association with the club.

Hello People.....

They have to sell NEWSPAPERS!

Actually they don't.

Most of these rags like the Guardian, Mail etc are given away in every hotel, airport, train station etc nowadays. People stopped buying them cos they're so bad, so they now give them away in order to maintain their ABC figures to impress advertisers.

Selling or not selling it's no excuse for printing blatant and scurrilous lies as they do.

What annoys me more than anything about the press is that Spurs are bottom and yet none of their fans are criticised for being deluded even though none of our fans expected/hoped for more than a top half finish and they (in the press) were saying top 4 for Spurs.

The Spurs hacks are the real deluded lot and are too wrapped up in themselves to see it or admit it.

We only see the North East Editions of the national newspapers.

I'd imagine the London editions are a bit different in that respect.