Allardyce - Ashley in it for the money (who'd have thought?!)

TRon

We were in pant-soiling danger of relegation under Sam, no doubt about it.

For him to come out now and say there was 'no danger' is arrogant and an insult to everyone's intelligence. I've never been so worried about us as I was then.

We were playing far worse than now, with a much stronger 1st team due to lack of injuries. I will never forget Sam being shit scared of every run of the mill side we played against and how his players reflected his fears.

We were in pant-soiling danger of relegation under Sam, no doubt about it.

For him to come out now and say there was 'no danger' is arrogant and an insult to everyone's intelligence. I've never been so worried about us as I was then.

We were playing far worse than now, with a much stronger 1st team due to lack of injuries. I will never forget Sam being shit scared of every run of the mill side we played against and how his players reflected his fears.

Don't remind me, I still feel a bit sick thinking of that period. Sam is dirt as far as I'm concerned - not only was he shit but he also stands for a brand of football that should be made illegal.

The worst part of it is he thinks he a modernist with all his sports science and prozone stuff.

i don't think we were in danger of relegation under Sam. we would've worked through it, finished lower midtable and in a few years he'd have turned us into Bolton Mk. II.

the danger began after fat sam left the club, results nosedived and keegan had a difficult time turning it around initially.

Guest Stephen927

Sam suits a club with more of a underdog mentality. There won't be many opportunities for him in the Premier Division except for strugglers, relegation fodder or he'll have to drop a division and manage in the Championship.

He was so stuck in his ways it was unbelievable. We still played long ball despite the players at the time being at least capable of something more. Long ball with only Viduka to aim for or Smith.

Recipe for disaster, Jesus wept.

This club was definitely going down under Allardyce if Ashley had not got rid. All the signs were there. Losing to Derby, 0-3 10mns in v Pompey we were in freefall man. Anyone who couldnt see that has not seen a relegation season before. It took 2 months for KK to stop the rot.

also it was evident that Ashley wanted to make a go of his new toy, but he has to realise now that this club is not a toy or an impassive item to be bartered about in some sort of jumble sale. It is a living breathing host to thousands of our passions and dreams. If he doesnt hurry up and sell quickly without hanging on for a profit he could end up in danger from the people the club really belongs to ie us.

Guest Phil K

This club was definitely going down under Allardyce if Ashley had not got rid. All the signs were there. Losing to Derby, 0-3 10mns in v Pompey we were in freefall man. Anyone who couldnt see that has not seen a relegation season before. It took 2 months for KK to stop the rot.

also it was evident that Ashley wanted to make a go of his new toy, but he has to realise now that this club is not a toy or an impassive item to be bartered about in some sort of jumble sale. It is a living breathing host to thousands of our passions and dreams. If he doesnt hurry up and sell quickly without hanging on for a profit he could end up in danger from the people the club really belongs to ie us.

Well said.

Agree with every word

I haven't read this thread and whether or not Allardyce is right or not is beside the point for me. Anyone who got paid about £8m for about 8 months of fucking shit work can shut the fuck up about this.

The thing i dont get is that if Ashley was always looking to make a quick profit then what was the point in backing his structure over the manager, especially a manager that seemed to be doing well?

Surely, as a businessman who's amassed a £2bn fortune, he'd realise that the best time to sell a club would be when they were on the up? He could of done it after one single successful season which was always a possibility after the start we had.

Load of bollocks if you ask me.

More threats against him. Classy. :pow:

...besides I just cannot see any way that hanging around for a bigger profit makes any sense, the longer this goes on his ability to negotiate a better deal for himself I suspect would go down not up (besides, he's setting deadlines for a start which doesn't suggest he's simply sitting back in the vain hope some megadeal may turn up for Christmas). Chill, I cant see how a 'hurry up and sell to the first bunch that come along' sentiment helps anyone.

"It is crystal clear now what the motives were, obviously, for Mike Ashley".

"I think that really in the end he did buy the club in the hope that he thought he could quickly sell it on for a vast profit"

100% correct. Some on here still thinking otherwise though is beyond me. Extreamley gullible. He has a track record of buying into things only to sell after a short while at a large increase.

You mean he bought some shares in Adidas once and sold them on after a few weeks for a profit, any other examples?

What company's has he bought 100% of and sold on for a profit?

Spot on.  There are some seriously misinformed people on here. 

:nods:

The thing i dont get is that if Ashley was always looking to make a quick profit

I believe he found football a bit too expensive. The whole farce with that New York company, the expensive seat line, the "Geordie businessmen say to me" crack was all cry for HELP ME & him trying to reduce his stake. The Keegan rumpus gave him the ultimate exit strategy.

His Lieutenants Steve Hayward & Chris Mort (on-loan but he had no fixed return date) was another sign

The thing i dont get is that if Ashley was always looking to make a quick profit

I believe he found football a bit too expensive. The whole farce with that New York company, the expensive seat line, the "Geordie businessmen say to me" crack was all cry for HELP ME & him trying to reduce his stake. The Keegan rumpus gave him the ultimate exit strategy.

His Lieutenants Steve Hayward & Chris Mort (on-loan but he had no fixed return date) was another sign

Didn't we give him his "exit strategy"?

I will get back to you around December

So none then, as of today's date?

None that I know of.

None. I don't think he did buy the club for a quick profit  but what he has done in his business career so far isn't concrete proof that he didn't is it?

He's very good at making money for himself and doesn't always do it by buying a minority stake in something and flogging it  on. He floated 43% of of his 100% in Sports Direct at £3 a share and trousered nearly a £billion in the process. Its been a disastrous flotation by the way and the share price was at about 75p pre the recent Stock Exchange meltdown and now stands at 44p, he's been busy buying back the stock at the lower prices and last I heard he is now holding about 75% of it.

Criticisms of his running of Sports Direct include: poor communication, poor PR, people retained in key jobs because of his allegiance to them rather than their ability, difficulty in working with his management team. Nothing we haven't heard I think. He knows how to make money but he can't run a business to suit anyone's purposes other than his own. As I said above I don't think he was looking for a quick buck when he bought us he was looking for the kudos (and yes fun) of owning a Premiership football club. He bought it without doing any due diligence and soon found out he hadn't got the resources to take it anywhere. Add to that his basic weaknesses when it comes to running a business and you arrive at where we are now. The club in a mess and Ashley about to unload it for a profit.   

Doesnt even get anywhere near explaining why he'd back the system over the manager who was doing well at the time if he'd realised this was too expensive a gig and was looking to sell for the quick profit.

Conjecture and supposition it is then. 

Either he was looking for a quick sale or he wasnt.

None that I know of.

None. I don't think he did buy the club for a quick profit  but what he has done in his business career so far isn't concrete proof that he didn't is it?

He's very good at making money for himself and doesn't always do it by buying a minority stake in something and flogging it  on. He floated 43% of of his 100% in Sports Direct at £3 a share and trousered nearly a £billion in the process. Its been a disastrous flotation by the way and the share price was at about 75p pre the recent Stock Exchange meltdown and now stands at 44p, he's been busy buying back the stock at the lower prices and last I heard he is now holding about 75% of it.

Criticisms of his running of Sports Direct include: poor communication, poor PR, people retained in key jobs because of his allegiance to them rather than their ability, difficulty in working with his management team. Nothing we haven't heard I think. He knows how to make money but he can't run a business to suit anyone's purposes other than his own. As I said above I don't think he was looking for a quick buck when he bought us he was looking for the kudos (and yes fun) of owning a Premiership football club. He bought it without doing any due diligence and soon found out he hadn't got the resources to take it anywhere. Add to that his basic weaknesses when it comes to running a business and you arrive at where we are now. The club in a mess and Ashley about to unload it for a profit.   

Didn't Hall and Shepherd do something similar when they floated the club on the stock market?

Doesnt even get anywhere near explaining why he'd back the system over the manager who was doing well at the time if he'd realised this was too expensive a gig and was looking to sell for the quick profit.

Conjecture and supposition it is then.  :thup:

Because he wasnt looking for a quick sale, The Keegan rumpus gave him the ultimate exit strategy.

Didn't we give him his "exit strategy"?

If "we" are "The Keegan rumpus"  :thup:

Guest fraser

Whatever the opinions concerning Ashley's handling of the club that one may hold (I think he did a crap job) Allardyce's blame shifting lend no support. Wigan away, Boxing Day, nightmare.

None that I know of.

Didn't Hall and Shepherd do something similar when they floated the club on the stock market?

Yes, but people can only do this if people sell there shares. If people are running a company they believe in & they can buy shares cheaper than what they originally sold them for of course they are going to do it.