Allardyce - Ashley in it for the money (who'd have thought?!)

TRon

Doesnt even get anywhere near explaining why he'd back the system over the manager who was doing well at the time if he'd realised this was too expensive a gig and was looking to sell for the quick profit.

Conjecture and supposition it is then.  :thup:

Because he wasnt looking for a quick sale, The Keegan rumpus gave him the ultimate exit strategy.

What?? Come one man, you know you're grasping at straws with this one!!

Why does he need an exit strategy? If he wants to sell he's well entitled to sell. Just like Sasha Gaydamak.

You say it was getting too expensive for him but if he can get £300m for the club now, how much do you think he'd of got if he left us in a much helathier situation higher in the league with Keegan at the helm?  All entirely a possilbilty. And how much money relaisitically would he have to spend from now until he could of sold at the end of season? Hardly any money is spent in January. And finally, do you think the club is more apealling to investors and buyers a few days after the transfer window has shut with no manager and a club in dissaray or do you think it's be more appealing at the end of the season with a big trasfer window to work with?

None of it these conspiracy and doom mongering ideas makes sense whatsoever - Ashley was in for the long run - if he wasnt he certainly knew that the best time to sell was definitely not now. Even selling in Jan would of been a better time for the club and for him.

Doesnt even get anywhere near explaining why he'd back the system over the manager who was doing well at the time if he'd realised this was too expensive a gig and was looking to sell for the quick profit.

Because he wasnt looking for a quick sale, The Keegan rumpus gave him the ultimate exit strategy.

Why does he need an exit strategy? If he wants to sell he's well entitled to sell. Just like Sasha Gaydamak.

You say it was getting too expensive for him but if he can get £300m for the club now, how much do you think he'd of got if he left us in a much helathier situation higher in the league with Keegan at the helm?  All entirely a possilbilty. And how much money relaisitically would he have to spend from now until he could of sold at the end of season? Hardly any money is spent in January. And finally, do you think the club is more apealling to investors and buyers a few days after the transfer window has shut with no manager and a club in dissaray or do you think it's be more appealing at the end of the season with a big trasfer window to work with?

None of it these conspiracy and doom mongering ideas makes sense whatsoever - Ashley was in for the long run - if he wasnt he certainly knew that the best time to sell was definitely not now. Even selling in Jan would of been a better time for the club and for him.

i don't think it gave him an exit strategy (as by it's nature it's deliberatly engineered). had keegan not walked or the reaction to it muted he'd still be here. i'll leave you to make your own minds up as to wether you'd want that.

What company's has he bought 100% of and sold on for a profit?

I will get back to you around December

So none then, as of today's date?

None that I know of.

None. I don't think he did buy the club for a quick profit  but what he has done in his business career so far isn't concrete proof that he didn't is it?

He's very good at making money for himself and doesn't always do it by buying a minority stake in something and flogging it  on. He floated 43% of of his 100% in Sports Direct at £3 a share and trousered nearly a £billion in the process. Its been a disastrous flotation by the way and the share price was at about 75p pre the recent Stock Exchange meltdown and now stands at 44p, he's been busy buying back the stock at the lower prices and last I heard he is now holding about 75% of it.

Criticisms of his running of Sports Direct include: poor communication, poor PR, people retained in key jobs because of his allegiance to them rather than their ability, difficulty in working with his management team. Nothing we haven't heard I think. He knows how to make money but he can't run a business to suit anyone's purposes other than his own. As I said above I don't think he was looking for a quick buck when he bought us he was looking for the kudos (and yes fun) of owning a Premiership football club. He bought it without doing any due diligence and soon found out he hadn't got the resources to take it anywhere. Add to that his basic weaknesses when it comes to running a business and you arrive at where we are now. The club in a mess and Ashley about to unload it for a profit.   

Didn't Hall and Shepherd do something similar when they floated the club on the stock market?

Yes, but people can only do this if people sell there shares. If people are running a company they believe in & they can buy shares cheaper than what they originally sold them for of course they are going to do it.

Yes Hall and Shepherd did (to a much lesser extent) with the club's shares what Ashley has done with Sports Direct. It hadn't crossed my mind that there was an old board/new board angle when I posted that   :kasper:

i don't think it gave him an exit strategy (as by it's nature it's deliberatly engineered). had keegan not walked or the reaction to it muted he'd still be here. i'll leave you to make your own minds up as to wether you'd want that.

Precisely.

He said "I would say that I am keen to have partners in Newcastle. That’s a very expensive seat I sit in.".  He also talked at later date about about selling some shares to locals as well. So he was looking to reduce his stake & then after the rumpus he thought fuck it I will sell the lot. The message was clear he wanted out when InterMedia Partners piped up telling everyone about a sale.

He said "I would say that I am keen to have partners in Newcastle. That’s a very expensive seat I sit in.".  He also talked at later date about about selling some shares to locals as well. So he was looking to reduce his stake & then after the rumpus he thought f*** it I will sell the lot. The message was clear he wanted out when InterMedia Partners piped up telling everyone about a sale.

Man those straws must be getting frayed with that iron like grip!

Is that actually your argument? "he thought fuck it"

He said "I would say that I am keen to have partners in Newcastle. That’s a very expensive seat I sit in.".  He also talked at later date about about selling some shares to locals as well. So he was looking to reduce his stake & then after the rumpus he thought f*** it I will sell the lot. The message was clear he wanted out when InterMedia Partners piped up telling everyone about a sale.

Is that actually your argument? "he thought f*** it"

It is not my argument it happened on 14/09/2008.

That doesnt make sense one bit - now i know why you cut the rest of my posts.  Surely he'd of had the foresight to realise that the best time to sell THIS club in particular would be when we were on the up?? The idea that he thought that now, with no manager and off field turmoil would be the best time to sell is proposterous.

Come on man, admit it, you're struggling with this one.

What company's has he bought 100% of and sold on for a profit?

I will get back to you around December

So none then, as of today's date?

None that I know of.

None. I don't think he did buy the club for a quick profit  but what he has done in his business career so far isn't concrete proof that he didn't is it?

He's very good at making money for himself and doesn't always do it by buying a minority stake in something and flogging it  on. He floated 43% of of his 100% in Sports Direct at £3 a share and trousered nearly a £billion in the process. Its been a disastrous flotation by the way and the share price was at about 75p pre the recent Stock Exchange meltdown and now stands at 44p, he's been busy buying back the stock at the lower prices and last I heard he is now holding about 75% of it.

Criticisms of his running of Sports Direct include: poor communication, poor PR, people retained in key jobs because of his allegiance to them rather than their ability, difficulty in working with his management team. Nothing we haven't heard I think. He knows how to make money but he can't run a business to suit anyone's purposes other than his own. As I said above I don't think he was looking for a quick buck when he bought us he was looking for the kudos (and yes fun) of owning a Premiership football club. He bought it without doing any due diligence and soon found out he hadn't got the resources to take it anywhere. Add to that his basic weaknesses when it comes to running a business and you arrive at where we are now. The club in a mess and Ashley about to unload it for a profit.   

Didn't Hall and Shepherd do something similar when they floated the club on the stock market?

Yes, but people can only do this if people sell there shares. If people are running a company they believe in & they can buy shares cheaper than what they originally sold them for of course they are going to do it.

Yes Hall and Shepherd did (to a much lesser extent) with the club's shares what Ashley has done with Sports Direct. It hadn't crossed my mind that there was an old board/new board angle when I posted that   :kasper:

There is if one sides being portrayed as goodness and light and the other is evil incarnate which does sometimes happen here ;)

If the press throughout the summer are to be believed (as they appear to have been right all along about the problems behind the scenes), I think the fact that the word was out that he was looking to sell, the Keegan episode made him realise it was time for him to cut his losses and run.

I dont think he was interested in the long term effort required to build the club back up to the level required to get the big money that he wanted.

That doesnt make sense one bit - now i know why you cut the rest of my posts.  Surely he'd of had the foresight to realise that the best time to sell THIS club in particular would be when we were on the up?? The idea that he thought that now, with no manager and off field turmoil would be the best time to sell is proposterous.

Really I am not. I see Robster understands & thinks similar.

If the press throughout the summer are to be believed (as they appear to have been right all along about the problems behind the scenes), I think the fact that the word was out that he was looking to sell, the Keegan episode made him realise it was time for him to cut his losses and run.

I dont think he was interested in the long term effort required to build the club back up to the level required to get the big money that he wanted.

I dont buy into this "cut his loss" and run - surely he'd of known he could of made a killing if he'd of left the club in a healthier situation. There doesnt seem to be any good reason to back the system over Keegan if he was always looking to sell.

We could of had the public fall out - he could of got rid of wise and given keegan and the fans what they wanted and then he could of sold with the enveryone surrounding the club happy - even that alone would of given him more of a profit.

If Keegan was still here and hadn't walked out, Ashley wouldn't be looking to sell which renders Thespence's argument pointless though.

But the stories appearing in the papers throughout the summer suggest otherwise.

6 weeks ago and prior we were all dissing the papers for all we were worth but I think its fair to say we have had to eat a bit of humble pie and say that the papers have actually had a grip of what has been going on.

My opinion now is that he has been looking to sell for some time.

If Keegan was still here and hadn't walked out, Ashley wouldn't be looking to sell which renders Thespence's argument pointless though.

He was looking to sell in the summer if InterMedia Partners are to be believed.

;)

He then confirmed he was looking for an "investment partner" if he is to be believed.

I don't see what your point is in relation to what I said?  Its all just speculation you're relying on, is it not?

But the stories appearing in the papers throughout the summer suggest otherwise.

6 weeks ago and prior we were all dissing the papers for all we were worth but I think its fair to say we have had to eat a bit of humble pie and say that the papers have actually had a grip of what has been going on.

You rely on the papers for the truth in everything that has gone on at the club? 

Like the stories about the players not being there to meet Kinnear on Monday last week I presume?

Stories in the papers over the last week have suggested we'll be bought by Nigerians and South Africans, it doesn't mean we will be.

I dont buy into this "cut his loss" and run - surely he'd of known he could of made a killing if he'd of left the club in a healthier situation. There doesnt seem to be any good reason to back the system over Keegan if he was always looking to sell.

We could of had the public fall out - he could of got rid of wise and given keegan and the fans what they wanted and then he could of sold with the enveryone surrounding the club happy - even that alone would of given him more of a profit.

I dont think he backed the system over Keegan. Otherwise there would have been more of a concerted and immediate effort to replace Keegan and move on.

Once Keegan walked, in my opinion, he chose selling the club over both Keegan and the system.

Really I am not. I see Robster understands & thinks similar.

So basically what your proposing is that Ashley was struggling with the cost of the club (even though he didnt need to commit a single penny until Jan at least) so decided to sell at a time when the club is probably least valuable to him?

Ok.