Where abouts are you from?

Guest michaelfoster
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest cfhpantera27

Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland

Nice one, live in Belleeks myself if you know of it, wee village in South Armagh

that near Newry Decky?

Manhattan, New York City. Asking how I became a Newcastle fan is a long story, but I'll try explaining succinctly, if only because I think my specific reason is actually common for hundreds or even thousands of American Toon fans.

There were a few articles written a few years ago by likely the most popular American sportswriter Bill Simmons, who after watching the World Cup, decided to get into the EPL and pick a team to follow. Millions of Americans were enthralled by the World Cup for the first time, for a myriad of reasons (not least of which was Zidane's headbutt, which even managed to somehow become famous in mainstream American culture). Since he knew absolutely nothing about the EPL, he asked his millions of readers for suggestions and reasons why he should pick their team. He then wrote a series of articles where he explained the merits of each team-from whether he'd like to visit the city to stadiums to their unique history to who their fans are, etc., and ranked each team (he ruled out ManU before he started due to frontrunner status). He actually ended up ranking Tottenham number 1, but had Newcastle in the top 3. He was very interested in Newcastle, talking about things like the loyal and long suffering fans similar to his hometown of Boston, the youtube video of bowyer and dyer fighting each other, the classic uniforms, Michael Owen, but ended up ruling it out mostly because Newcastle's true rival Sunderland was not in the EPL at the time. So even though he ruled out Newcastle in the end, the things he said led a lot of people who were also at the same time becoming extremely interested in European football to check out the Toon more and eventually fall in love. And when I say I'm not the only one led down this path by Simmons, I mean it. Simmons is by far the most read sportswriter in the country, with an average audience measuring somewhere between 25 and 50 million readers. The influence he had in convincing Americans to follow Newcastle, Tottenham and Liverpool is immense.

Oh, and if you want to read the article, here it is (it's a pretty interesting read for some of you I'd think, to see an outsider's perspective, specifically an American's-he writes from the everyman's perspective, representing the average American sports fan, and not as a journalist who is paid to have access or insider's knowledge): http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719

Manhattan, New York City. Asking how I became a Newcastle fan is a long story, but I'll try explaining succinctly, if only because I think my specific reason is actually common for hundreds or even thousands of American Toon fans.

There were a few articles written a few years ago by likely the most popular American sportswriter Bill Simmons, who after watching the World Cup, decided to get into the EPL and pick a team to follow. Millions of Americans were enthralled by the World Cup for the first time, for a myriad of reasons (not least of which was Zidane's headbutt, which even managed to somehow become famous in mainstream American culture). Since he knew absolutely nothing about the EPL, he asked his millions of readers for suggestions and reasons why he should pick their team. He then wrote a series of articles where he explained the merits of each team-from whether he'd like to visit the city to stadiums to their unique history to who their fans are, etc., and ranked each team (he ruled out ManU before he started due to frontrunner status). He actually ended up ranking Tottenham number 1, but had Newcastle in the top 3. He was very interested in Newcastle, talking about things like the loyal and long suffering fans similar to his hometown of Boston, the youtube video of bowyer and dyer fighting each other, the classic uniforms, Michael Owen, but ended up ruling it out mostly because Newcastle's true rival Sunderland was not in the EPL at the time. So even though he ruled out Newcastle in the end, the things he said led a lot of people who were also at the same time becoming extremely interested in European football to check out the Toon more and eventually fall in love. And when I say I'm not the only one led down this path by Simmons, I mean it. Simmons is by far the most read sportswriter in the country, with an average audience measuring somewhere between 25 and 50 million readers. The influence he had in convincing Americans to follow Newcastle, Tottenham and Liverpool is immense.

Oh, and if you want to read the article, here it is (it's a pretty interesting read for some of you I'd think, to see an outsider's perspective, specifically an American's-he writes from the everyman's perspective, representing the average American sports fan, and not as a journalist who is paid to have access or insider's knowledge): http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719

F-king Yanks,  with your recent record in finances, and war mong-ering....why on earth would you choose any other club than the Toon.

Denton Burn in the fine West End   :pow:

Werent they the mortal enemies of Byker grove?

Yeah :lol:

who were based at the mitre

I think you'll find they were from Denwell Burn, they were based at the mitre though.

Wallsend until I was 7, North Shields until I was 10, then split between Wallsend and North Shields until the present day.

In sunny Hull for university at the moment though, not planning on getting back home until Christmas week, it's going to be difficult. :undecided:

Wallsend until I was 7, North Shields until I was 10, then split between Wallsend and North Shields until the present day.

In sunny Hull for university at the moment though, not planning on getting back home until Christmas week, it's going to be difficult. :undecided:

I am at Hull Uni at the minute aswell, where are yer staying?, what are yer studying? etc.

I am at Hull Uni at the minute aswell, where are yer staying?, what are yer studying? etc.

2nd year of Sports Coaching, got a flat on Victoria Avenue. You playing any intramural football or anything?

Goal No. 2: Avoid a team that's too tortured. Already went down that road with the Sox. Once was enough.

Bet you wish you had listened to him

2nd year of Sports Coaching, got a flat on Victoria Avenue. You playing any intramural football or anything?

Nah I might be doing 6 a side at some point but not yet, I am 1st year human geog and am staying in downs in the lawns :thup:

Goal No. 2: Avoid a team that's too tortured. Already went down that road with the Sox. Once was enough.

Haha I didn't make my decision based on solely on that article, it just got me started down the path of learning more and considering Newcastle. But yea, sometimes I do wonder why on Earth I subjected myself to the torture, but then I remember that every other team I support is famous for epically failing, it just wouldn't feel right to support a frontrunning team. Newcastle was meant for me.

Nah I might be doing 6 a side at some point but not yet, I am 1st year human geog and am staying in downs in the lawns :thup:

If you ever fancy a full-size game, then drop me a PM. We've got an intramural team set up, play on Wednesdays at 2pm on campus, league of 12.

Guest Brummiemag

Had a confused life, was born in Warrington, moved to Newcastle when I was 2 years old first to Byker then to Whickham then moved to Birmingham when I was 9 but went to Newcastle again as a student and lived in Benwell and Fenham, went back to Birmingham and lived there ever since.

(By coincidence my favourite baseball team are the Boston Red Sox, been to Fenway Park, seen them beat the Cleveland Indians a long time ago!) 

Haha I didn't make my decision based on solely on that article, it just got me started down the path of learning more and considering Newcastle. But yea, sometimes I do wonder why on Earth I subjected myself to the torture, but then I remember that every other team I support is famous for epically failing, it just wouldn't feel right to support a frontrunning team. Newcastle was meant for me.

Haha, very interesting!

The funny thing with us is that although we have terrible lows, they only serve to make the high times even better and when we finally do win something it is going to be such an epic high the likes of which we cannot imagine!

Cant wait!  :laugh:

Speaking of Manhattan, I remember as a fresh faced 17 year old back in the year 2000 I visited New York and on the first day we were down by that pier thing and I turned a corner to be confronted by to my amazement a 15ft Newcastle Brown Ale Logo on the side of a pub.  :yikes:

Me, a young lad from a Tyneside council estate stood gazing at a giant Brown Ale Logo in New York.

At the time I thought it was the greatest thing in the world!  :colo:

Dundee. 

I go to watch either Dundee Utd or Lochee Utd (semi-pro) at the weekends.

I usually get down to 2-3 Newcastle games a season.  They're my favourite PL team because my big sis has been living there for about 15 years.  I love the team and I love the city.

Speaking of Manhattan, I remember as a fresh faced 17 year old back in the year 2000 I visited New York and on the first day we were down by that pier thing and I turned a corner to be confronted by to my amazement a 15ft Newcastle Brown Ale Logo on the side of a pub.  :yikes:

Me, a young lad from a Tyneside council estate stood gazing at a giant Brown Ale Logo in New York.

At the time I thought it was the greatest thing in the world!  :colo:

how do you mean "at the time" ?