Keegan to launch £9m unfair dismissal claim?

Dave

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23572471-details/Kevin+Keegan+set+to+launch+9m+claim+against+Newcastle/article.do

Kevin Keegan set to launch £9m claim against Newcastle

Kevin Keegan is suing Newcastle United for £9million in damages after claiming unfair dismissal following his departure as manager last month.

The 57-year-old's second stint in charge on Tyneside ended in acrimonious circumstances after a bust-up with owner Mike Ashley.

Standard Sport understands Keegan has begun legal proceedings against the club demanding full payment of his three-and-a-half-year contract.

It is believed Keegan claims he signed a deal to return to Newcastle on the condition that he was given total control of all first-team affairs.

But the former England boss believes Dennis Wise's role as director of football infringed upon the terms of that agreement and made his position untenable.

The transfer of striker Xisco from Deportivo on deadline day is thought to have particularly riled Keegan, who had minimal knowledge a deal would be struck.

It is unclear whether Newcastle will launch a counter claim for breach of contract, as the club declined to comment.

This latest legal wrangle marks the further deterioration of Ashley's relationship with the man who took the club from bottom of the old Second Division to Premier League runners-up and Champions League participants in his first spell in charge between 1992-97.

The retail entrepreneur has become a hate figure in the north east following Keegan's departure, although the club issued a statement denying Keegan had been sacked.

Ashley subsequently held talks with Keegan in a bid to resolve the dispute but no solution was reached and Joe Kinnear has since been appointed interim manager while the club look for new owners.

Dubai-based investors baulked at Ashley's initial asking price, which was rumoured to be more than three times the £134m he paid for the club in 2007. He has since dropped it to around £300m.

Chief executive of the League Managers Association Richard Bevan has hinted Keegan would be interested in a return.

But Bevan said: "The structure has to be right."

How would this (if true) affect any hopes he/the prospective new owners have of him returning as manager?

Guest guinness_fiend

He loves the club?

Yeah, right.

Not as much as he would love to keep his Soccer Centre creditors happy is my guess.  Shame.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23572471-details/Kevin+Keegan+set+to+launch+9m+claim+against+Newcastle/article.do

Kevin Keegan set to launch £9m claim against Newcastle

Kevin Keegan is suing Newcastle United for £9million in damages after claiming unfair dismissal following his departure as manager last month.

The 57-year-old's second stint in charge on Tyneside ended in acrimonious circumstances after a bust-up with owner Mike Ashley.

Standard Sport understands Keegan has begun legal proceedings against the club demanding full payment of his three-and-a-half-year contract.

It is believed Keegan claims he signed a deal to return to Newcastle on the condition that he was given total control of all first-team affairs.

But the former England boss believes Dennis Wise's role as director of football infringed upon the terms of that agreement and made his position untenable.

The transfer of striker Xisco from Deportivo on deadline day is thought to have particularly riled Keegan, who had minimal knowledge a deal would be struck.

It is unclear whether Newcastle will launch a counter claim for breach of contract, as the club declined to comment.

This latest legal wrangle marks the further deterioration of Ashley's relationship with the man who took the club from bottom of the old Second Division to Premier League runners-up and Champions League participants in his first spell in charge between 1992-97.

The retail entrepreneur has become a hate figure in the north east following Keegan's departure, although the club issued a statement denying Keegan had been sacked.

Ashley subsequently held talks with Keegan in a bid to resolve the dispute but no solution was reached and Joe Kinnear has since been appointed interim manager while the club look for new owners.

Dubai-based investors baulked at Ashley's initial asking price, which was rumoured to be more than three times the £134m he paid for the club in 2007. He has since dropped it to around £300m.

Chief executive of the League Managers Association Richard Bevan has hinted Keegan would be interested in a return.

But Bevan said: "The structure has to be right."

How would this (if true) affect any hopes he/the prospective new owners have of him returning as manager?

Well they'll have to give him the job I would think, therefore the claim would become redundant. If they appoint somebody else, then the £9m will come out of the Newcastle Utd coffers which would probably mean £9m less to spend on new players.

Not that I think he'll win his claim. He can't exactly ask for payment of a 3 year contract while he's playing golf and Joe Kinnear is doing his work for him.

I thought he resigned.

He's probably claiming 'constructive dismissal' rather than unfair - meaning that he was left with no option but to resign. He was 'forced out'...

That's what I thought, would make more sense. If this story is genuine and true in the first place.

I thought he resigned.

He's probably claiming 'constructive dismissal' rather than unfair - meaning that he was left with no option but to resign. He was 'forced out'...

That's what I thought, would make more sense. If this story is genuine and true in the first place.

Let's hope not.

I thought he resigned.

Yeah, don't know the details of what defence the club would be likely to go with on that - probably that (as their statement said) they did everything they could to resolve matters and help Keegan to stay on.

Might be difficult for Keegan if the agreement that he would have 'full control' was decided in chats with Ashley and Mort rather than written in his contract. If it was written in his contract the club deserve whatever is coming to them I suppose.

He loves the club?

Yeah, right.

Not as much as he would love to keep his Soccer Centre creditors happy is my guess.  Shame.

Nail on head.

Makes you wonder why he came back in the first place and got out so quickly once an "opportunity" arose.

Guest Sniffer

If he's entitled to the money because the cockney mafia thought they could do anything they please then it's no different to any other worker forced out of his job. Another kick in the balls to ashley who thought he could make a quick buck and fuck everybody else. Good.

He loves the club?

Yeah, right.

Nail on head.

Makes you wonder why he came back in the first place and got out so quickly once an "opportunity" arose.

Choosing to believe the press now are we.

I thought he resigned.

Yeah, don't know the details of what defence the club would be likely to go with on that - probably that (as their statement said) they did everything they could to resolve matters and help Keegan to stay on.

Might be difficult for Keegan if the agreement that he would have 'full control' was decided in chats with Ashley and Mort rather than written in his contract. If it was written in his contract the club deserve whatever is coming to them I suppose.

Hasn't it been mentioned that Keegan's legal team will use quotes from the matchday programme to back his case that he had full control of signings in or out?

I've a feeling the contract will back up Ashley's view if Keegan's using quotes from a programme to build his case. Doubt he'll get what he's looking for, but it might be he's just trying to get off with not paying the club £2m for doing a runner.

Guest icemanblue

As I've said before (even though I got shot down for it), this isn't true. Neither is the claimed £2m compensation.

You were asked to back up your claims, which you never did.

Which I will not do on an internet message board.

:lol:

Well don't expect people (on a message board) to believe you.

As I've said before (even though I got shot down for it), this isn't true. Neither is the claimed £2m compensation.

If it's not true I'd like to see him suing this newspaper for making false allegations which don't exactly paint him in a good light. I don't see why hostile legal action should be considered against his beloved club only.

There are hundreds of ways of backing up a claim anonymously; professional interest/contact, personal knowledge etc.

Expect to be called a twat for claiming it and not giving any context. Also expect to be called stupid for not having the imagination to back up the claim without giving anything important away.

He loves the club?

Yeah, right.

Nail on head.

Choosing to believe the press now are we.

I don't read the press - what are they saying like ?

Care to inform us a bit about what the truth of the situation actually is, then?