The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

alternatively, 4 defeats in 14

Wins help you avoid relegation though. Draws dont. Thats why the win ratio is more significant.

absolutely true. just pointing out that you can see it in different ways. he's at least made us hard to beat

Agree there WTF. Can also see O-N's opinion.

I just fear that over the course of a season, that kind of average is more likely to make relegation a possibility.

Definitely not going to agrue against how pleased I have been with our recent spate of clean sheets

Wins help you avoid relegation though. Draws dont. Thats why the win ratio is more significant.

absolutely true. just pointing out that you can see it in different ways. he's at least made us hard to beat

I just fear that over the course of a season, that kind of average is more likely to make relegation a possibility.

Definitely not going to agrue against how pleased I have been with our recent spate of clean sheets

Given our position when he took over you could be right, but over the course of a season our form under Kinear would get us near enough 49 points.  Not particularly impressive, but a total we've only beaten once in the last 4 years and only 7 points less than when we finished 5th several years ago.

I don't want Joe long term, but considering everything when he took over, our current form shouldn't be underestimated.

Given our position when he took over you could be right, but over the course of a season our form under Kinear would get us near enough 49 points.  Not particularly impressive, but a total we've only beaten once in the last 4 years and only 7 points less than when we finished 5th several years ago.

I don't want Joe long term, but considering everything when he took over, our current form shouldn't be underestimated.

We are still flirting dangerously with relegation. I just wish Kinnear had the decency to put a considerable air gap between ourselves and the relegation threatened teams before he started talking himself up. His record is average at best.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article5432045.ece

Sheffield United have rejected a £3 million bid from Newcastle for Kyle Naughton. Joe Kinnear, the Newcastle manager, wants to make the right back, 20, one of his first signings in the transfer window. The Coca-Cola Championship club value Naughton, who was called up to the England Under-21 squad this season, at more than double what Kinnear has offered.

Clubs that don't have to sell will try to shaft us for as much as possible obviously.

If we got say 8 million for Given then spent the whole lot on the likes of Kyle Naughton I think I would give up.

You just know Kinnear would spent half of it on some Championship player, the other half? Championship player again

According to The Sun, Lucas Neill is available for free because West Ham want him off the wage bill ASAP. We need a right back like but he would want a huge wage and he'd only be backup once Beye is back. Probably better of looking for a younger option unless we could get him on a short term deal which is highly unlikely.

It's a good suggestion, but I wouldn't take him.  He showed how much of a mercenary he is when he turned down Liverpool to take stupid £68k a week at West Ham.  The club can't force him to leave and I doubt anyone will offer him wages close to that.  He is also pretty injury prone and a dirty player from memory.  I'd prefer Beye first choice, and that we go and look for decent up and coming young right back from the Championship like Everton did in buying Dan Gosling.

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/2/2/Serie-A-Mourinho-on-Owen/gnid-33651/

Inter coach Jose Mourinho has delivered a snub to Michael Owen by saying the Newcastle United striker has never interested him.

The outspoken former Chelsea chief claims that injuries have taken their toll on the Magpies hit-man, who is out of contract in the summer.

Owen has stalled on negotiations over a new deal at St James' Park and English tabloid reports claimed Inter were lining up a swoop for the 29-year-old.

However, Mourinho has set the record straight in typically forthright fashion.

"I have never thought of him," he told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

"In the last year, he has had major injuries and is no longer the Owen that we knew."

Adriano, who was mentioned as a possible makeweight with any supposed bid for Owen, remains part of Mourinho's plans.

"I am determined to keep Adriano and I don't have any indication that he will no longer be with us," he added.

"He is an extra weapon for me."

Clubs that don't have to sell will try to shaft us for as much as possible obviously.

If we got say 8 million for Given then spent the whole lot on the likes of Kyle Naughton I think I would give up.

You just know Kinnear would spent half of it on some Championship player, the other half? Championship player again

It's interesting that some people are now questioning the managers right to have the  final say on transfers ;)

FWIW there's nothing wrong with signing players from the Championship.

It's interesting that some people are now questioning the managers right to have the  final say on transfers ;)

Some people forget the players in the PL who are doing well that have came from League football.

He is a very poor manager, so i dont trust him to improve us with Championship players.

Also there isnt anything wrong with Championship players, but only if you compliment them with some Premiership standard signings. Also dont you think in a time when we desperately need quality, spending millions on Championship players is abit stupid?

Some people forget the players in the PL who are doing well that have came from League football.

Difference is we are in January and are in danger of going down, we cant afford to buy in players from the lower leagues incase they dont work out. At this stage we also dont need players who might take some time adjusting to the league. Priority number 1 in January is get players that keep us in the league, we can buy for potential in the summer.

He is a very poor manager, so i dont trust him to improve us with Championship players.

Also there isnt anything wrong with Championship players, but only if you compliment them with some Premiership standard signings. Also dont you think in a time when we desperately need quality, spending millions on Championship players is abit stupid?

Depends on who you sign.  You've made the assumption that Championship players can't already be Premiership standard which, to use your phrase, is a bit stupid.