The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

There's the potential for a savvy manager with a decent-sized transfer budget to go out there and get a good young core of English players for a reasonable price right now.

Pick up the likes of Hart, Johnson, Onuoha, Sturridge from City,

Nab Bentley and Huddlestone from Spurs

Get Noble off West Ham, Mancienne from Chelsea...

All available for transfer and other than Bentley, all probably for less than 5m.

How do you know there all available?

I didn't think Mancienne was available for a start, thats why Chelsea recalled him from his loan. Spurs would want a lot back for Bentley too.

There's the potential for a savvy manager with a decent-sized transfer budget to go out there and get a good young core of English players for a reasonable price right now.

All available for transfer and other than Bentley, all probably for less than 5m.

How do you know there all available?

I didn't think Mancienne was available for a start, thats why Chelsea recalled him from his loan. Spurs would want a lot back for Bentley too.

City youngsters have no long-term future there, everyone available at West Ham, Mancienne's just been recalled for cover and he'll be off as soon as the injury situation clears up.

Bentley would probably cost 8~10mish, but that would be a bargain.

I'd be surprised if many of them cost less than £5m and I can see some of them costing almost double that.

Driver's set up the Hearts goal.

Aye first time I've seen him but he looks to have plenty of potential.  Reminds me very much of a young Downing.

Guest palnese

Aye first time I've seen him but he looks to have plenty of potential.  Reminds me very much of a young Downing.

zogs replacement maybe?

Have to say, Farrington often has his finger on the pulse with transfer stories, so there may be some truth in the Sunday Sun tales.

Player profile: Raul Meireles

Full name: Raul Jose Trindade Meireles

Position: Midfielder

Date of Birth: 17 March 1983

Birthplace: Porto, Portugal

Some players are filled with immense potential and never realize it throughout their entire careers. Some are late bloomers and do not get noticed or make a name for themselves until several years in the game. Then there are those who have certain, special qualities that enable them to win a mountain of silverware early in their careers.

Thus is the case with Raul Meireles. The young FC Porto midfielder plays for one of Portugal’s biggest clubs and can already boast an impressive trophy cabinet. His neat and intelligent play adorned with accurate passing, tough tackling and a powerful shot, has made him an undisputed starter at Portugal’s most successful club despite his young age.

The left-back turned defensive midfielder was a member of Portugal’s youth squad that won the under-16 European Championships with Portugal in 2000 and four years later helped his country finished third in the under-21 European Championships.

With a host of achievements as a youth, Meireles was playing regularly at the age of 18. A product of Boavista’s youth academy, he got his first taste of professional football at neighbouring club, Desportivo das Aves, where he spent two seasons on loan.

Cross-city move

Meireles played a total of 45 matches, scoring one goal for Aves before Boavista decided to take him back in 2003. The defensive midfielder played just one season with Boavista, making 29 appearances for the club, and impressed so much that he was snapped up by cross-town rivals, FC Porto.

Porto had recently lost Jose Mourinho to Chelsea and sold the likes of Deco, Ricardo Carvalho and Paulo Ferreira. Much pressure was placed on his shoulders as he had very big shoes to fill in a team where winning is the only option.

Meireles was left in limbo in his first year as Porto went through three coaches. As the central midfield places were occupied by Portugal internationals, Maniche and Costinha, the player was used on the left side of defence for the majority of the season, which ended with the Dragons relinquishing the championship to bitter rivals Benfica.

The following year would see Meireles flourish as Porto completed the double. The 2006/07 season started with a Portuguese SuperCup triumph as Meireles continued to compile a healthy set of winners’ medals, all at the age of 24.

International breakthrough

Things got even better for the young Portuguese midfielder as he broke into the senior Portugal national team in November 2006, playing in the Euro 2008 qualifier against Kazakhstan in Coimbra. Meireles produced an assured performance in a 3-0 victory, and the player certainly has a solid foundation on which to build his international career with one of the world’s best footballing nations.

by Marco Pereira

zogs replacement maybe?

Possibly although as a player he looks almost the exact opposite of Zog.  Not lightening quick, but with a good touch.  Didn't look to possess many tricks to beat his man, but looked to shift it half a yard and whip a cross in.  Wouldn't terrify defences by running at them, but rarely gave the ball away and was always aware of what was around him.

All just based on one game mind so take with a pinch of salt ;)

Player profile: Raul Meireles

Full name: Raul Jose Trindade Meireles

Position: Midfielder

Date of Birth: 17 March 1983

Birthplace: Porto, Portugal

Some players are filled with immense potential and never realize it throughout their entire careers. Some are late bloomers and do not get noticed or make a name for themselves until several years in the game. Then there are those who have certain, special qualities that enable them to win a mountain of silverware early in their careers.

Thus is the case with Raul Meireles. The young FC Porto midfielder plays for one of Portugal’s biggest clubs and can already boast an impressive trophy cabinet. His neat and intelligent play adorned with accurate passing, tough tackling and a powerful shot, has made him an undisputed starter at Portugal’s most successful club despite his young age.

The left-back turned defensive midfielder was a member of Portugal’s youth squad that won the under-16 European Championships with Portugal in 2000 and four years later helped his country finished third in the under-21 European Championships.

With a host of achievements as a youth, Meireles was playing regularly at the age of 18. A product of Boavista’s youth academy, he got his first taste of professional football at neighbouring club, Desportivo das Aves, where he spent two seasons on loan.

Cross-city move

Meireles played a total of 45 matches, scoring one goal for Aves before Boavista decided to take him back in 2003. The defensive midfielder played just one season with Boavista, making 29 appearances for the club, and impressed so much that he was snapped up by cross-town rivals, FC Porto.

Porto had recently lost Jose Mourinho to Chelsea and sold the likes of Deco, Ricardo Carvalho and Paulo Ferreira. Much pressure was placed on his shoulders as he had very big shoes to fill in a team where winning is the only option.

Meireles was left in limbo in his first year as Porto went through three coaches. As the central midfield places were occupied by Portugal internationals, Maniche and Costinha, the player was used on the left side of defence for the majority of the season, which ended with the Dragons relinquishing the championship to bitter rivals Benfica.

The following year would see Meireles flourish as Porto completed the double. The 2006/07 season started with a Portuguese SuperCup triumph as Meireles continued to compile a healthy set of winners’ medals, all at the age of 24.

International breakthrough

Things got even better for the young Portuguese midfielder as he broke into the senior Portugal national team in November 2006, playing in the Euro 2008 qualifier against Kazakhstan in Coimbra. Meireles produced an assured performance in a 3-0 victory, and the player certainly has a solid foundation on which to build his international career with one of the world’s best footballing nations.

by Marco Pereira

I stopped reading after the first paragraph. I can't be doing with building my hopes up.

Riise on loan, Driver for 2m, Onouha and Johnson for Shay, along with a decent right and decent holder and the squad would start to look handy.

I would be tempted to swap Shay for Darren Bent. Apparently, they've trained all week with Defoe and Pavlychenko up top.

You cant swap Shay twice man!!!

Riise on loan, Driver for 2m, Onouha and Johnson for Shay, along with a decent right and decent holder and the squad would start to look handy.

I would be tempted to swap Shay for Darren Bent. Apparently, they've trained all week with Defoe and Pavlychenko up top.

You cant swap Shay twice man!!!

He is that good tbf.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Hart is crap that is why City are linked with Shay.  Huddlestone is slower than Butt & cant tackle nice at passing though. Mancienne is now back at Chelsea & will no doubt be building up to act as cover when one of the fringe cb's leave in the summer.

Wry do people keep linking us to Bentley? Not a chance, his form has been very poor but he's got a massive reputation and would almost definitely see us as a step down if Spurs actually wanted to move him on.

Cant really see why we would need Lovenkrands though unless he can play on the right.

He prefers playing up front, cant see him jumping ahead of Owen and Martins will be back soonish.

He isnt as good as Duff, N'Zog or Jonas on the left, so bit of a strange one.

Wish we would sign a bloody CM!

A midfield dominator and leader is what we are missing, someone in the lampard, gerrard, Viera mould would have won us the game today. Might be worth gambling on M'Bami

Exactly where he prefers, I still wouldn't want him unless he has changed magnificently from when he was at Rangers

he is lazy, crap and not very  clever! would be a terrible terrible signing! he is leaving schalke because he offers absolutely nothing. end of discussion!

Meireles would be one of the best and most important signings since Robert and Bellamy for us. Absolutely crucial to have a good DM. And the thing with Meireles is that he's a very good and tidy footballer as well. 2 goals and 2 assists in 12 games in the league so far, and 3 assists in 6 games in the CL. I would be pleased if we just managed to sign him in January.