The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

What a bunch of fucking morons. We haven't a clue what bids we made, who we held talks with, who we may still be holding talks with and yet people still pour themselves over these media sites expecting the God's honest truth. Selective reading at its very best my friends.

For all we know we're still working on deals behind the scenes, we might not, we haven't a fucking clue. Look at the summer for an indication of how unpredictable we are in the market.

Indeed, we can only go on the tangibles - tangibles you are blind to. Shy of an unlikely surprise, they are bad - Ashley's organisation has, at best, failed to achieve necessary successes. At worst, they didn't attempt to achieve them.

But at the end of the day if we haven't strengthened the team any further, it's a bit like yesterdays result. It doesn't put us any closer to the drop but it doesn't really help either. We are still well capable of staying up, it isn't the end of the world man.

You seem to think we are operating in a sealed environment. We are not. Yesterday's result was us failing to win a relegation six-pointer at home. Those are the matches that must be won to stay up. Any assumption to the contrary takes it as true that we're as likely to draw against Man United, Liverpool (1-5) et al at home. In case you forgot through lack of interest, Sunderland won the converse fixture - a direct relegation rival of ours now holds a two point advantage over us.

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

Could have been worse, could have been better.

is Taylor better than Duff on the wing? he certainly isn't better than N'zogbia. Horrible window yet again

Really..a player from Bolton and one from wigan?? Shows how low our expectations are..buying off clubs around us..

Yep should have signed Lampard and Ronaldo.

No one's asked for massive signings FFS

Just an improvement on our squad

I think we have done that.

we have. but most people made their minds up months ago that we havent.

In what way do you feel we've improved the squad?

given wanted out and handed in a transfer request. little we can do about that. harper is a more than adequate replacement and is free. £6 million up + big wages gone. just a loss/a draw at best.

n'zogbia WAS NEVER GOING TO PLAY FOR US AGAIN. lovenkrands WILL PLAY FOR US. £6 million up. win by default.

nolan is better than butt, smith, geremi and is far more reliable than barton. win.

taylor plays in many positions and is a decent squad player (squad depth innit). win.

overall, improvement. not a huge one but an improvement.

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

is Taylor better than Duff on the wing? he certainly isn't better than N'zogbia. Horrible window yet again

Really..a player from Bolton and one from wigan?? Shows how low our expectations are..buying off clubs around us..

Cover for both full back positons, a central midfielder who will shoot and get into the box but wont be in prison or injured a lot and a left winger/forward with lots of pace.

Ok we lost Given but we have a lot of keepers and Harper is a good premiership keeper. N'Zogbia was a good player (although nowhere near as good as some make out) but a stroppy little tossers and I am glad he is gone.

Its been far from perfect and I am disappointed, especially with the hope we were givenn first thing but it hasn't been a complete disaster.

Snap :lol:

Why the f*** did we give them Given until we got an agreement for a player in place. I just cant get my head around that

Selling Given was a wise move.  He wanted out, we got good money for him.

Johnson would have been a bit of a gamble too.  Massive alcoholic.

Woooooaaaaahhhh. Careful ;)

I agree with libertine, we are better off after this window. Only by a miniscule amount but still better off...

I thought that we could possibly be surprised, the ever present optimist...Never mind, we should be less naive when it comes to guaging our fat controller!

Guest Darth Toon

So we know that there was an £8m bid rejected by Man City for Johnson, but I wonder who the other £8m bid was for?

Someone with a realistic price tag of at least double that I should imagine.

Guest Wally_McFool

Fair enough if some people don't like Ashley, but suggesting he's not making signings so he can pocket the money is ridiculous.

No its not, you are living in cuckooland!

I imagine that you think we will easily avoid relegation as well.  :crazy2:

Guest The Libertine

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

given wanted out and handed in a transfer request. little we can do about that. harper is a more than adequate replacement and is free. £6 million up + big wages gone. just a loss/a draw at best.

n'zogbia WAS NEVER GOING TO PLAY FOR US AGAIN. lovenkrands WILL PLAY FOR US. £6 million up. win by default.

nolan is better than butt, smith, geremi and is far more reliable than barton. win.

taylor plays in many positions and is a decent squad player (squad depth innit). win.

Injured during the window Barton, Owen Carroll.

Cover ...nil =loss

nolan? lovenkrands? like i say, not a huge improvement, but an improvement.

Guest firetotheworks

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

Bit daft considering he wanted out because he was so utterly fed up of the way things are going. We could have done a lot about that. Like being run like a professional club.

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

Every striker we have is carrying some kind of injury..

We only have two fit fullbacks ..... (I include Taylor in that)

We have very little creativity from the middle of the park.

There is no real pace in the team apart from Oba.

Too many injured players, 17 year old untried kids on the bench.

FFS man!

For the record this isn't defending the club, this window has been a disappointment, we needed more bodies but the business we have done hasn't been two bad.

You can criticise the sales of Zoggy and Shay all you want but at the end of the day they wanted to leave, we cannot afford to carry passengers in the current situation.

Nolan is average, but he's a body while I think Lovenkrands and Taylor will come in handy during the current injury crisis. It's key to remember we have players returning from injury as well.

Has to be said though I do agree with the whole if we wanted Johnson why didn't we use him as a bargaining chip school of thought.

Guest The Libertine

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

Cover for both full back positons, a central midfielder who will shoot and get into the box but wont be in prison or injured a lot and a left winger/forward with lots of pace.

Ok we lost Given but we have a lot of keepers and Harper is a good premiership keeper. N'Zogbia was a good player (although nowhere near as good as some make out) but a stroppy little tossers and I am glad he is gone.

Its been far from perfect and I am disappointed, especially with the hope we were givenn first thing but it hasn't been a complete disaster.

Snap :lol:

:smug:

For the record this isn't defending the club, this window has been a disappointment, we needed more bodies but the business we have done hasn't been two bad.

You can criticise the sales of Zoggy and Shay all you want but at the end of the day they wanted to leave, we cannot afford to carry passengers in the current situation.

Nolan is average, but he's a body while I think Lovenkrands and Taylor will come in handy during the current injury crisis. It's key to remember we have players returning from injury as well.

Has to be said though I do agree with the whole if we wanted Johnson why didn't we use him as a bargaining chip school of thought.

It isn't a total failure. But it's not far from it. Thoroughly underwhelming.

Do people not remember the time where Ashley said he wouldn't fund the club anymore after the protests? What exactly do you think has changed.

If we've sold players for a profit, it's to pay the other useless wankers at the club who are bleeding it dry.

I thought he said he was now fully committed to the club and looked to 'move the club forwards in 2009'. Didn't that supercede the 'no longer willing to subsidise NUFC' statement?

Not sure, that's why I asked.

I still fail to see how the club can carry on spending money when we're making a massive loss. That's something most people in the finances thread agreed on, but it seems they've forgotten about it here.

It isn't a total failure. But it's not far from it. Thoroughly underwhelming.

:nods:

Guest thommo78

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

Nolan maybe marginally better than those players but the trouble is those players are all still at the club..and lets not forget when nolan and guthrie played together at bolton it didn't exactly propel them into European places now did it!!

and why was that then? ..............

Guest firetotheworks

Completely ignored why they wanted to leave.

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

Fine, but are you asking why the bit in bold came to be?

So 2 players who didn't want to be here have been sold.

Nolan, Taylor and Lovenkrands have been brought in. We also had a big bid in for Johnson but City rejected it. We sniffed around Veloso but didn't actually make a bid. Is that about the gist of our dealings?  ???

Where did those two loan signings go??

Which ones were they again?  :lol:

Not been in long from work and I'm just trying to work out what has and hasn't happened.  ??? I'll be fucked if I'm wading through the last 54 pages.

Wasn't it last week when Kinnear said two loan signings were practically done and dusted? :lol:

I lose track of the bullshit during the transfer window there's that much of it. Gladly have managed to resist the urge to tune into SSN today as well, as I fully expected things to turn out as they have done. Been great fun on here though!

This place is going to be mental tonight.  :cheesy:

Not a great window by any stretch but we've lost 2 players who had no intention of playing for us again and brought 3 players in who do want to be here.

No doubt if Ashley had sanctioned a huge bid for Johnson and got him, he'd have been criticised for 'panic-buying' and throwing away the cash recklessly.  :lol:

Not bad but not great. I'd have liked a very good CM with the £8m spare but there you go. The problem with buying lots of players when there's an injury crisis is that you're left with them when everyone's fit.

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

Injured during the window Barton, Owen Carroll.

Cover ...nil =loss

nolan? lovenkrands? like i say, not a huge improvement, but an improvement.

Lovenkrands is useless, Nolan is shit and Taylor is on Edgar's level.. what we managed is add three more below-par players to the squad, like we didn't have any before..

fuck all