The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

Could have been worse, could have been better.

is Taylor better than Duff on the wing? he certainly isn't better than N'zogbia. Horrible window yet again

Really..a player from Bolton and one from wigan?? Shows how low our expectations are..buying off clubs around us..

Yep should have signed Lampard and Ronaldo.

No one's asked for massive signings FFS

Just an improvement on our squad

I think we have done that.

we have. but most people made their minds up months ago that we havent.

In what way do you feel we've improved the squad?

given wanted out and handed in a transfer request. little we can do about that. harper is a more than adequate replacement and is free. £6 million up + big wages gone. just a loss/a draw at best.

n'zogbia WAS NEVER GOING TO PLAY FOR US AGAIN. lovenkrands WILL PLAY FOR US. £6 million up. win by default.

nolan is better than butt, smith, geremi and is far more reliable than barton. win.

taylor plays in many positions and is a decent squad player (squad depth innit). win.

overall, improvement. not a huge one but an improvement.

Every striker we have is carrying some kind of injury..

We only have two fit fullbacks ..... (I include Taylor in that)

We have very little creativity from the middle of the park.

There is no real pace in the team apart from Oba.

Too many injured players, 17 year old untried kids on the bench.

FFS man!

we arent man city. we have essentially zero money so we weren't going to hugely improve the way most expected/demanded.

But we did have money apparently two £8 mill bids knocked back.

But we f***ed up so badly or intentionally that we didn't spend it. Hope we don't regret it come April

if the money was there then surely kinnear should be getting it in the neck? he's been banging on about wanting money and his bidding for players for weeks.

No fan of Kinnear but to believe he is in charge of deals with the present structure at the club is cloud cuckoo land.

i think he is because (im fairly certain that) if he wasnt, we'd have done a bit better.

What makes you so fairly certain of that?

from some of the deals in the summer. if wise and co did do the most of the work in the last window then i think they'd have done a decent job in this window.

Why are you willing to defend every single failure that is apparent.

It is quite clear Ashley is the one who set up the club as it currently is, his actions led to us finding Kinnear in the first place. He put wise in place, Llambias in place, set up our entire scouting system all of which has amounted to us having to phone clubs up on managing to get two players from that.

In other words after an entire season of scouting they found lovenkrands.

How in the fck could this NOT be Ashleys fault. Wake up.

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

is Taylor better than Duff on the wing? he certainly isn't better than N'zogbia. Horrible window yet again

Really..a player from Bolton and one from wigan?? Shows how low our expectations are..buying off clubs around us..

given wanted out and handed in a transfer request. little we can do about that. harper is a more than adequate replacement and is free. £6 million up + big wages gone. just a loss/a draw at best.

n'zogbia WAS NEVER GOING TO PLAY FOR US AGAIN. lovenkrands WILL PLAY FOR US. £6 million up. win by default.

nolan is better than butt, smith, geremi and is far more reliable than barton. win.

taylor plays in many positions and is a decent squad player (squad depth innit). win.

FFS man!

we arent man city. we have essentially zero money so we weren't going to hugely improve the way most expected/demanded.

But we f***ed up so badly or intentionally that we didn't spend it. Hope we don't regret it come April

if the money was there then surely kinnear should be getting it in the neck? he's been banging on about wanting money and his bidding for players for weeks.

No fan of Kinnear but to believe he is in charge of deals with the present structure at the club is cloud cuckoo land.

i think he is because (im fairly certain that) if he wasnt, we'd have done a bit better.

from some of the deals in the summer. if wise and co did do the most of the work in the last window then i think they'd have done a decent job in this window.

So how does this system of ours work? Get in a good manager and give him no control over transfers so he walks out. Get an abortion of a temporary manager in, give him full control over transfers, watch him fail epically and hand him a contract extension?

Guest Brazilianbob

Yet again I am left completely an utterly underwhelmed by NUFC's efforts to bring in some quality players during a transfer window.  After 41 years of support I now couldn't give a toss if they go down, because if not this season, we will go down next season.  The players they are bringing to the club are absolutely third class.

Nolan has been playing crap for Bolton for the last two seasons, and as for Taylor, he wasn't even a regular in the Wigan side, no wonder he snapped our hands of to join.  We are actually taking Bolton and Wigan reserves to try and bolster our first team.

How much further do we have to fall?  If things carry on as they are, I suspect we will have the healthiest bank balance in the first division if the clowns running the club are left in place much longer.

Guest Stephen927

Talk of a contract offer for Kinnear was simply to assure any potential new players that Kinnear was here and that there would be a degree of stability for them. Nothing more than that. Kinnear was desperate enough to take the job in the first place, no way would he delay talks over a new deal, and no way will he walk away from his wage packet.

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

FFS man!

But we fucked up so badly or intentionally that we didn't spend it. Hope we don't regret it come April

But we did exactly the same at last years window under Keegan.

Whose the commom link I wonder?

keegan said he was happy with the squad at the end of the window. we cant argue with him.

Sorry mate but that's complete bollocks. KK may have said that (can't remember) but you seriously  believe it??

Why do you think he walked oot.

Guest firetotheworks

Two offers for Veloso (£10m and a £1.5m loan deal) from Bolton were rejected by Sporting. No mention of us so he might not have been the player we bid for.

;D How do you work that one out? Surely it would be that if there was a mention of us then that might have been the case.

What a bunch of f***ing morons. We haven't a clue what bids we made, who we held talks with, who we may still be holding talks with and yet people still pour themselves over these media sites expecting the God's honest truth. Selective reading at its very best my friends.

For all we know we're still working on deals behind the scenes, we might not, we haven't a f***ing clue. Look at the summer for an indication of how unpredictable we are in the market.

Indeed, we can only go on the tangibles - tangibles you are blind to. Shy of an unlikely surprise, they are bad - Ashley's organisation has, at best, failed to achieve necessary successes. At worst, they didn't attempt to achieve them.

But at the end of the day if we haven't strengthened the team any further, it's a bit like yesterdays result. It doesn't put us any closer to the drop but it doesn't really help either. We are still well capable of staying up, it isn't the end of the world man.

You seem to think we are operating in a sealed environment. We are not. Yesterday's result was us failing to win a relegation six-pointer at home. Those are the matches that must be won to stay up. Any assumption to the contrary takes it as true that we're as likely to draw against Man United, Liverpool (1-5) et al at home. In case you forgot through lack of interest, Sunderland won the converse fixture - a direct relegation rival of ours now holds a two point advantage over us.

We don't have a lot to go off but a few sources corroborated we made an eleventh hour bid for Johnson. If this was indeed the case why was it so late? Were bids elsewhere rejected? Did talks break down? If so why did they break down? It isn't as simple as saying Ashley failed, we are only getting a key whole view of the full picture, until we know the reasons behind the lack of activity it's difficult to hold the recruitment team accountable. All that can be said is this is a disappointing transfer window due to a lack of personnel being recruited.

Regarding your second point in an ideal world it is a game we needed to win. However you've got to take into account injuries, the fact it was a derby and Kinnear's general failings as a manger. The worrying thing is in the short term two of these things are unlikely to change. However in the long term we still have several opposition relegation rivals to play, should things pick up by then and given we pick up the off point from teams above us we should survive. A good transfer window would have helped in the short term but at the end of the day this squad is good enough to stay in the Premier League, we just need to drop this attitude of feeling sorry for ourselves.

Do you think we simply possess extraordinarily bad fortune, then? Maybe Napoleon was right, then, preferring lucky Generals to good ones. This is as simple as saying Ashley failed. We can go over the reasons for why that failure took place, but it's definitely a failure. Why do these big bids keep going awry? Good question. We'll just have to go on what is demonstrated before us - Ashley's administration repeatedly fails to advance NUFC's fortunes and has us staring at the prospect of relegation. Re: bold, indeed - who's apparently offering him another 2 1/2 years in charge?

You’re looking at a rather wide context when my point was a pretty narrow one to begin with. Yes Ashley has failed in some departments. His lack of footballing experience led to the events that unfolded earlier this season and his lack of due diligence on the club means he inherited a few nasty surprises when he bough it. That's to name just two of his errors I'm not praising or in fact defending where he's taken us as the club as a whole I was simply reflecting on the transfer market.

In the context of this transfer market though did Ashley fail? We just don't know. He appointed a recruitment team who along with Kinnear only brought the three fresh faces in. Indeed this is disappointing but can we categorically point the finger at them or are there external factors to consider, maybe in this instance we were simply unlucky, until the picture becomes a bit clearer we just don't know.

So yeah looking at the big picture it would certainly appear Ashley’s failings have had a major contribution in where we are now. He started a chain of events which led to the main contributing reason for our position today. But to then say "oh Ashley has consistently made mistakes, so this transfer window must be his fault" which essentially what your insinuating, is a completely illogical argument.

Guest The Libertine

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

FFS man!

It is quite clear Ashley is the one who set up the club as it currently is, his actions led to us finding Kinnear in the first place. He put wise in place, Llambias in place, set up our entire scouting system all of which has amounted to us having to phone clubs up on managing to get two players from that.

just because im not crying like a bitch about being "omg!! relegated" because we didnt spend £60 million? the squad HAS improved. like ive said many times, not by a huge margin, but its better. if you look at other clubs around us in the table you'll be surprised at how badly some of them have done.

as for the scouting thing, we've signed about 5 promising youngsters from around the world this window and improved the squad a bit on a very tight budget. i wasnt expecting miracles, it appears some people were.

Two offers for Veloso (£10m and a £1.5m loan deal) from Bolton were rejected by Sporting. No mention of us so he might not have been the player we bid for.

;D How do you work that one out? Surely it would be that if there was a mention of us then that might have been the case.

I'm clutching at straws in the hope that we do actually sign someone else, otherwise its just a bit meh our activity this window. Although I can't believe Bolton thought they would sign Veloso, Sean Davis or Pedro Mendes maybe. :lol:

Guest The Libertine

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

FFS man!

But we fucked up so badly or intentionally that we didn't spend it. Hope we don't regret it come April

But we did exactly the same at last years window under Keegan.

Whose the commom link I wonder?

keegan said he was happy with the squad at the end of the window. we cant argue with him.

Sorry mate but that's complete bollocks. KK may have said that (can't remember) but you seriously  believe it??

Why do you think he walked oot.

im not going into all that  :aww:

but if keegan says the squad was good enough then who are we to argue? he always tells the truth.

I wonder whether Kinnear will break rank and speak out. He was obviously told something would happen, even if was just these loans to bulk out 'his' squad.

He has looked a broken man of late, wouldnt be suprised to see him walk.

Hope so. That would instantaneously make this the best transfer window ever.

If Kinnears walks then who will take this job.

What difference does it make, we're getting relegated anyway

just because im not crying like a bitch about being "omg!! relegated" because we didnt spend £60 million? the squad HAS improved. like ive said many times, not by a huge margin, but its better. if you look at other clubs around us in the table you'll be surprised at how badly some of them have done.

as for the scouting thing, we've signed about 5 promising youngsters from around the world this window and improved the squad a bit on a very tight budget. i wasnt expecting miracles, it appears some people were.

Tripe like that really doesn't help your argument.

Taylor > Duff

Nolan > Geremi

FFS man!

No ones expecting 60 million are they. The squad having improved is incredibly debatable & many would disagree. Other clubs around us are not newcastle having just got a transfer kitty of 18 mill are they.

Signing youngsters is of no use in the fcking january transfer window when we;re fighting relegation.

Im afraid you just come off as complete clueless.

Guest trig111

Anyone else think the Johnson 8m bid was a sham. Like we enquired if he was available during the Given transfer & when told absloutely not he became are prime last minute target!

If it was me & i wanted to make a profit out of the window i would certainly put in sham bids to look good like