The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Athletico ready to offer Luis Garcia in a swap for Enrique (NOTW)

If we could get a LB in, I wouldn't say no to him. Especially if Owen's away. Although they're not the same style of player, he looked quite decent for Liverpool.

Guest toonlass

Cant really see why we would need Lovenkrands though unless he can play on the right.

He prefers playing up front, cant see him jumping ahead of Owen and Martins will be back soonish.

He isnt as good as Duff, N'Zog or Jonas on the left, so bit of a strange one.

Wish we would sign a bloody CM!

A midfield dominator and leader is what we are missing, someone in the lampard, gerrard, Viera mould would have won us the game today. Might be worth gambling on M'Bami

Exactly where he prefers, I still wouldn't want him unless he has changed magnificently from when he was at Rangers

Cant really see why we would need Lovenkrands though unless he can play on the right.

He prefers playing up front, cant see him jumping ahead of Owen and Martins will be back soonish.

A midfield dominator and leader is what we are missing, someone in the lampard, gerrard, Viera mould would have won us the game today. Might be worth gambling on M'Bami

Exactly where he prefers, I still wouldn't want him unless he has changed magnificently from when he was at Rangers

I seem to recall him being quite a decent player at Rangers. I know it's not directly comparable league-wise but he didn't look out of place in a team such as Rangers'. I might have got him mixed up with that Ricksen bloke, though.

Right wing? Good if true but I didnt think he had ever played there, certainly played alot for Rangers wide left. He calls himself an out and out striker though.

http://sport.scotsman.com/rangersfc/Lovenkrands-makes-case-for-the.2742286.jp

Lovekrands is shit, we should stay well away. Anyone who watched SPL over the years will tell you the same. Yes, he has pace, but not much else, and was very inconsistent.  I would much rather we promoted LuaLua to a more regular place than brought in an injury prone mercenary...

"Rangers are furious with Willie McKay, the agent who tried to sell Scotland captain Barry Ferguson to Newcastle United last week. The Glasgow club deny he was authorised to contact Newcastle with a list of their players available for transfer, but the agent says the names were given to him by Martin Bain, Rangers’ chief executive. ‘Martin gave me the list and said he was telling me because “you can get things done”,’ said McKay. ‘He later told me he had his backside kicked. I won’t be made the scapegoat here.’ David Murray, the Rangers chairman, insists that McKay had no mandate to offer the players to Newcastle or anyone else. ‘He [McKay] asked Martin who was available, but that did not give him a mandate to approach other clubs,’ said Murray. ‘I have warned him in future not to bend the rules or he won’t do business with this club’."

Thank fuck for that.

Guest johnson293

Couple of rumours from the BBC...

Manchester City will turn their attention to Chelsea's Carlo Cudicini should they fail to lure Newcastle's Shay Given to Eastlands. (News of the World)

Newcastle are also considering a £4m bid for Coventry goalkeeper Kieran Westwood, should Shay Given leave the club. (Sunday Express)

Newcastle are closing in on Rangers midfielder Pedro Mendes. (Sunday Express)

And Magpies manager Joe Kinnear also wants to sign Porto midfielder Raul Meireles. (News of the World)

MEIRELES ON TOON HITLIST

NEWCASTLE boss Joe Kinnear hopes to sign Porto midfielder Raul Meireles.

The Toon are continuing their controversial policy to recruit largely from overseas and the 25-year-old holding midfielder is on director of football Dennis Wise’s hitlist.

Meireles has been capped 15 times for Portugal and is weighing up a move to relegation-threatened Magpies.

And Middlesbrough striker Mido is keen on a switch to Newcastle if Alan Smith can be convinced to move to the Riverside in exchange.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/123026/MEIRELES-ON-TOON-HITLIST.html

MEIRELES ON TOON HITLIST

The Toon are continuing their controversial policy to recruit largely from overseas and the 25-year-old holding midfielder is on director of football Dennis Wise’s hitlist.

Meireles has been capped 15 times for Portugal and is weighing up a move to relegation-threatened Magpies.

And Middlesbrough striker Mido is keen on a switch to Newcastle if Alan Smith can be convinced to move to the Riverside in exchange.

But were all racists...

MEIRELES ON TOON HITLIST

But were all racists...

and we are a controversial foreigner-buying shit heap of a club

MEIRELES ON TOON HITLIST

http://blogportista.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/raulmeireles.jpg

More tattoos than Beckham!

Newcastle join race for Aston Villa left-back Nicky Shorey

EXCLUSIVE Dennis out to nick Nicky N'ZOGBIA BAIT FOR VILLA SWAP

By Dave Kidd

Newcastle have joined the race for Aston Villa left-back Nicky Shorey and are willing to exchange him with their unsettled Frenchman Charles N'Zogbia.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill is willing to flog England international Shorey, five months after signing him - as revealed in People Sport last week.

And Toon executive director Dennis Wise, desperate to sign a left-back in the transfer window, has joined the race for the player.

N'Zogbia, who can operate at left-back or on the left of midfield, has made it clear that he wants to leave Newcastle this month.

Toon will offer a swap deal, even though N'Zogbia wants to hold out in the hope Arsenal chief Arsene Wenger will firm up his interest in his fellow Frenchman.

Tottenham boss Har ry Redknapp is keen on Shorey and the Londoner would rather return to the capital than move to the North-East.

But he could still be tempted by the promise of first-team football at Newcastle, after O'Neill has frozen him out of Villa's starting line-up for the last two months.

Shorey, capped twice by England, was a £3.5million summer signing from Reading but has been left out in favour of right-back Luke Young playing out of position on the left.

Meanwhile, O'Neill has handed American defender Eric Lichaj a two-year contract extension.

The Under-20 international has impressed since signing from the University of North Carolina in 2007, but his current deal had been due to expire in June.

O'Neill has now secured 20-year-old right-back Lichaj until 2011.

A source close to the player said: "Martin O'Neill had a lot of good things to say about Eric.

"Villa are not an easy side to break into - they are fourth in the league. So this is a big statement."

Nobby Solano, 34, a favourite at Newcastle, Aston Villa and West Ham, is returning home to Peru to finish his career.

Solano has left Greek side Larissa to join Universitario. "After that I will study to become a coach, probably in Argentina," he said.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=newcastle-join-race-for-aston-villa-left-back-nicky-shorey%26method=full%26objectid=21033067%26siteid=93463-name_page.html

MEIRELES ON TOON HITLIST

The Toon are continuing their controversial policy to recruit largely from overseas and the 25-year-old holding midfielder is on director of football Dennis Wises hitlist.

Cool.

MEIRELES ON TOON HITLIST

he's so dreamy  :smitten: