The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

The amount of hysteria at the smallest thing in this thread is quite astounding. I'm assuming age has something to do with it. The comments about looking at the loan players on tuesday defy explanation.

Tuesday?!

OMG.

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?titulo=Newcastle%20Finnan%20bid%20accepted%20-%20Hull%20offer%20rejected&id=155

Newcastle Finnan bid accepted - Hull offer rejected

Espanyol have accepted a bid from Newcastle United for Steve Finnan. Reports in the British press today had claimed that Hull would complete the signing of former Liverpool defender Steve Finnan on Friday morning.

It had been suggested that the 32-year-old had discussed personal terms and taken a medical at Hull on Thursday after the club reached agreement with the Barcelona club.

However, Espanyol are not satisfied with Hull’s proposal to pay a transfer fee in installments, over three years, and have rejected the offer from the Premiership club.

Ex-Ireland international Finnan is understood to be keen on a return to Britain League after enduring a difficult five months since leaving Anfield in the summer.

There are at least five English sides showing an interest in signing Finnan but, at present, a bid from Newcastle United, in the region of €1.5 million, is the only offer to have been accepted by Espanyol. However, with Finnan currently in the UK in order to hold talks with any prospective clubs, the player expects to have his future sorted within the next 24 hours and further developments are anticipated.

The amount of hysteria at the smallest thing in this thread is quite astounding. I'm assuming age has something to do with it. The comments about looking at the loan players on tuesday defy explanation.

They don't exactly stack up with what he's said previously though tbf. Internationals, decision in 48hrs, good players, costing a lot to loan them, yet we need to play them in a poxy training match before we know if they're decent or not?

I don't quite understand the Lovenkrands comment either: “Peter will take part in the game too and we will decide on him after that.” - decide what? I thought we'd offered him a contract? ???

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?titulo=Newcastle%20Finnan%20bid%20accepted%20-%20Hull%20offer%20rejected&id=155

Espanyol have accepted a bid from Newcastle United for Steve Finnan. Reports in the British press today had claimed that Hull would complete the signing of former Liverpool defender Steve Finnan on Friday morning.

It had been suggested that the 32-year-old had discussed personal terms and taken a medical at Hull on Thursday after the club reached agreement with the Barcelona club.

However, Espanyol are not satisfied with Hull’s proposal to pay a transfer fee in installments, over three years, and have rejected the offer from the Premiership club.

Ex-Ireland international Finnan is understood to be keen on a return to Britain League after enduring a difficult five months since leaving Anfield in the summer.

There are at least five English sides showing an interest in signing Finnan but, at present, a bid from Newcastle United, in the region of €1.5 million, is the only offer to have been accepted by Espanyol. However, with Finnan currently in the UK in order to hold talks with any prospective clubs, the player expects to have his future sorted within the next 24 hours and further developments are anticipated.

Wouldn't complain.

“We will have them (the potential loan signings) behind closed doors in a training game on Tuesday to see if they come up to scratch because we haven’t actually seen them play

how reassuring is that?!!! some scouting policy!

Get some logic in your argument next time. Pretty sure that means they've not had a proper look at them, not that they've never seen them play. I'd rather have a focused look at a player I'm not sure about than rely on DVDs, scouting reports and previous matches where one couldn't keep such a close eye on a player.

so I’ve not used any logic by questioning a baffling quote, but you can try and guess what JK actually stated and attempt to be patronising – hahaha!

It's not baffling in the slightest.

They don't exactly stack up with what he's said previously though tbf. Internationals, decision in 48hrs, good players, costing a lot to loan them, yet we need to play them in a poxy training match before we know if they're decent or not?

I don't quite understand the Lovenkrands comment either: “Peter will take part in the game too and we will decide on him after that.” - decide what? I thought we'd offered him a contract? ???

Who said it was quality-related? Might well be down to fitness/injury issues.

Wouldn't complain.

I read somewhere he'd failed a medical at Hull because of long standing thigh problem. (poss BBC gossip)

EDIT:

Steve Finnan's £1m move to Hull has fallen through after a medical revealed a deep-seated problem with the full-back's left thigh. (Daily Mail)

I don't know how Finnan has performed since he left Liverpool but he always struck me as a very decent fullback, good at getting forward and underrated by many. £1.5m would be a good move, though it's not exactly one for the future when he's competing with Beye.

He looks quite like Guthrie btw. :laugh:

I don't know how Finnan has performed since he left Liverpool but he always struck me as a very decent fullback, good at getting forward and underrated by many. £1.5m would be a good move, though it's not exactly one for the future when he's competing with Beye.

He looks quite like Guthrie btw. :laugh:

and a bit like Matt Damon

Fair comment. Would there not be medicals involved though?

Fair comment. Would there not be medicals involved though?

Yes, but I've got nothing against testing these players out in a competitive game situation (even if it's just a training match) as well. That's if there's any reasonably doubt. I'd rather they covered all possibilities.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/internationals/finnan-in-trap-blow-1604470.html

Steve Finnan has been rocked by the news that a deep-rooted muscle injury in his thigh has scuppered his move to Hull and caused a big problem for Irish boss Giovanni Trapattoni.

Finnan's trip to Hull came on a day when the pace of the transfer window picked up and Irish names began to emerge as possible headline makers - most notably Stephen Hunt -- a target for Harry Redknapp and Steve Bruce -- and Finnan.

The Irish full-back travelled to Hull yesterday for a medical after Brown agreed a fee with Espanyol but the screening showed up an injury in his thing muscle that was considered serious enough to scupper the move.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/internationals/finnan-in-trap-blow-1604470.html

Steve Finnan has been rocked by the news that a deep-rooted muscle injury in his thigh has scuppered his move to Hull and caused a big problem for Irish boss Giovanni Trapattoni.

Finnan's trip to Hull came on a day when the pace of the transfer window picked up and Irish names began to emerge as possible headline makers - most notably Stephen Hunt -- a target for Harry Redknapp and Steve Bruce -- and Finnan.

The Irish full-back travelled to Hull yesterday for a medical after Brown agreed a fee with Espanyol but the screening showed up an injury in his thing muscle that was considered serious enough to scupper the move.

Well isnt that just typical  :frantic:

Guest Stephen927

Finnan's decent but that post up the page there about his thigh is a bit worrying.

An injured Finnan is still better than a fully fit Edgar or Taylor

:joker:

Whats a thing muscle?

Whats a thing muscle?

When you're older a girl might tell you what it's for. :aww:

for those conspracy minded............finnan failed a medical at hull,so naturally we agree a deal with espanyol,in order to pull the club after his medical so the club can say we agreed a deal,we tried etc.