The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Even though I'm pissed off at the lack of first team players coming in, it's great to see us continuing the youth policy. Hate to say it, but Ashley and Wise deserve some credit for that aspect of the club.

To be fair, bringing in youngsters is the easy bit.

Even though I'm pissed off at the lack of first team players coming in, it's great to see us continuing the youth policy. Hate to say it, but Ashley and Wise deserve some credit for that aspect of the club.

I still cant work out whether the huge focus on youth was forced on them because of the state of the accounts or because they really did have this fantastic vision of the future.

I still cant work out whether the huge focus on youth was forced on them because of the state of the accounts or because they really did have this fantastic vision of the future.

Mort has been talking about improving the youth team from the very beginning as part of the long term strategy for the club, it's easy to understand why considering the only youth players to make any sort of impact in the last decade are Hughes, Ameobi, Taylor and Ramage.

Over the next 2-3 years it should see us add much more depth to the squad when they start breaking through, not all of them will make it of course but the lads that don't can always be sold on for a few £100,000.

Well we've never managed to do much of it before.

we have,we've always had academy teams,youth teams etc, some have even included foreign talent, pinas,kiedel but either we were identifying kids who werent good enough or we were crap at improving them (my opinion is a bit of both)

we have,we've always had academy teams,youth teams etc, some have even included foreign talent, pinas,kiedel but either we were identifying kids who werent good enough or we were crap at improving them (my opinion is a bit of both)

Well fine, maybe I should have said we never did it very well before... or it never produced any decent players.

Obviously we'll have to wait and see what happens with the current lot, but I'm encouraged by what I've seen so far.

Well fine, maybe I should have said we never did it very well before... or it never produced any decent players.

Obviously we'll have to wait and see what happens with the current lot, but I'm encouraged by what I've seen so far.

me too.

the fact that we've not let many kids go at academy level who've went on to big things is as scary as that none have gone on too be top class for us.

In fairness we've had a couple come through (N'Zog, Bernard, looks like Krul will do), but I do like the look of the youth setup we're putting together at the moment. Goes without saying that the first team transfers seem to be streets behind.

Nothing to grumble about with the youth side of it, Kadar looked a real prospect which must be why he broke his leg. The problem is it makes our puny efforts at signing first teamers all the more disheartening. Not to mention mental. Joe Kinnear's habit of telling the world of every player he's going to sign, then putting in daft offers which get laughed out of sight just come across as lunacy.

yeah, but it haven´t been easy for the previous managers! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS STRATEGY....it will only make the club better and stronger! We only need to find a manager who can start practising a system for all our teams through the ranks to follow....like ajax!

Its the only way forward....and its cheap and interesting to follow they youngsters mature!

i know we need proven first team players but happy to see ashley is thinking long term and it have been a mystery me for long time that we hardly brought any talent in? But guess its not as fancy as buying players like owen,luque and boumsong :blush:

yeah, but it haven´t been easy for the previous managers! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS STRATEGY....it will only make the club better and stronger! We only need to find a manager who can start practising a system for all our teams through the ranks to follow....like ajax!

Its the only way forward....and its cheap and interesting to follow they youngsters mature!

i know we need proven first team players but happy to see ashley is thinking long term and it have been a mystery me for long time that we hardly brought any talent in? But guess its not as fancy as buying players like owen,luque and boumsong :blush:

Bringing them in is easy. Bringing them through and developing them is difficult.

Guest Heneage

If in a few years we could put out a carling cup side like Arsenal's i'd be happy.

A few years? How long has it taken Wenger to be able to do that?

But Tooj, if you imagine Wenger built that from the ground up, he built there academy, worked on their methods, what was best, what worked, what didn't. We learn from his mistakes. A good academy takes 3-5 years to apply I would say. When you consider we already have some talent in the shape of Baheng, Kadar, Soderberg, Zamblera, as well as Vukic. We are not at the bottom of the ladder.

If in a few years we could put out a carling cup side like Arsenal's i'd be happy.

But Tooj, if you imagine Wenger built that from the ground up, he built there academy, worked on their methods, what was best, what worked, what didn't. We learn from his mistakes. A good academy takes 3-5 years to apply I would say. When you consider we already have some talent in the shape of Baheng, Kadar, Soderberg, Zamblera, as well as Vukic. We are not at the bottom of the ladder.

He also had quite a good first team as well btw. Then it's not just that, it's building a culture as well, having good coaches, players not being afraid to make the step up.

Guest Heneage

He also had quite a good first team as well btw. Then it's not just that, it's building a culture as well, having good coaches, players not being afraid to make the step up.

Right and is it impossible to source good local and international coaches? The Fifa licenses are more popular than ever, so there is nothing stopping us. In that time we can raise our profile as an academy, work on getting more talent, work on getting good technical coaches, look at places like Holland, Spain,France,Italy and other parts of Europe as well as taking on apprentice coaches who will learn it is not a terribly difficult thing to implement, people make out like Wenger re-invented the wheel.

Right and is it impossible to source good local and international coaches? The Fifa licenses are more popular than ever, so there is nothing stopping us. In that time we can raise our profile as an academy, work on getting more talent, work on getting good technical coaches, look at places like Holland, Spain,France,Italy and other parts of Europe as well as taking on apprentice coaches who will learn it is not a terribly difficult thing to implement, people make out like Wenger re-invented the wheel.

When did I ever say anything of the sort about Wenger re-inventing the wheel? And why haven't we got some of these coaches on board as of yet if it's so easy?

As well as all this, we go through the same thing each year with how amazing the Arsenal youth set up is, has been occurring for a good few years now, but lets actually look at their current first team (if fit), off the top of my head:

Almunia (bought), Sagna (bought), Gallas (bought), Toure (bought) / Silvestre (bought), Clichy (youth), Fabregas (youth), Nasri (bought), Rosicky (bought), Walcott (bought), Van Persie (bought), Adebayor (bought).

Whilst Fabregas and Clichy are fucking class, they came through 3 years ago... Despite the current crop being showered with praise, as the teams in previous years were, loads of these players are not making the step up. The likes of Diaby, Senderos, Song, Denilson, Eboue and Bendtner have all looked far from world beaters when they have been used. This is the top current academy that has been operating its policy since Wenger came in over ten years ago. We are a club in crisis, where (from the outside) we appear to have no idea who is running what at the club, a manager who most of us assumed dead prior to his appointment and an owner / chairman / director of football despised by the majority, with a very precarious league position. Us signing a load of promising young players will more than likely end just the same way as when we signed the star players, with their careers being pretty fucked as a result, it will just be cheaper. The club needs to be fixed from the top down, with a structure that is clear and a first team squad the priority, then we can start building on the youth side of things extensively. What we are doing is ass about face.

The double winning Arsenal side in 1998 wasn't exactly full of local / youth players brought in by Wenger, it was a quality team full of fucking great players, this gave them the platform to attract the best youth in the world and build the academy they have. We have very little chance of competing whilst the first team is a shambles.

The best thing we could do now is bring in Houllier as manager. Not only is he a very good, experienced manager, he also has a proven record of youth development - the work he did as Head of Technical Development for the French FA was instrumental in them winning the World Cup and the European Championships.