The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Sacrificing our only left back for a centre half (where we have a solid first choice pairing) would be looney tunes.

Exactly.

Even if we have a replacement lined up for Enrique, we should still be keeping a hold of him to at least have some depth.

However, i still think we are one experianced centre half short.

Ive no idea why we would go for McManus. He isn't terrible, but no better than what we have and £4mil is quite a bit when we could get Christophe Berra from Hearts for half the price. He's young, has potential and would be great back up for us with the potential for him to push for a first team place in the next year or so. I can't see McManus coming here to be back up.

Maybe Joe will discover that Hearts exist before the end of the transfer window. He discovered Rangers and went for all their players, and seems to have noticed Celtic exist in the last few days, so maybe Hearts next.

Also think we should stand our ground and demand Johnson in exchange for Given and cash. He's also a good young player in a position we need. I think his personal problems are well documented, but hopefully a change in scenery would help him get over it. Would be pleased to see him and Barton in our midfield.

Wake up, Joe.. Jose is good enough!

I'd be seriously pissed if we get rid of him this window.. even if we bring in another left back

He is the weakest member of our first team, him and Butt.

Bullshit. Absolute unfounded bullshit. Soz like, but it's my opinion.

Which bit? Enrique or Butt?

Please don't tell me you rate Butt, i might cry.

I'd be seriously pissed if we get rid of him this window.. even if we bring in another left back

:lol: The Enrique bit obviously mate. The boy can play football. Some people will not give him a chance though.

:lol: The Enrique bit obviously mate. The boy can play football. Some people will not give him a chance though.

He's not a world-beater - he's not as good as Beye on the other side, but he's a LOT better than anyone else in the position.

Selling him without a better option would be suicidal. 

Personally, I don't think Enrique is that bad, however if our team is fully fit I would say he was one our weaker first teamers. That's a first team that excludes Nicky Butt of course, say:

Given, Beye, Colo, Bassong, Enrique, Jonas, Barton, Guthrie, N'Zogbia, Owen, Martins

Personally, I don't think Enrique is that bad, however if our team is fully fit I would say he was one our weaker first teamers. That's a first team that excludes Nicky Butt of course, say:

Given, Beye, Colo, Bassong, Enrique, Jonas, Barton, Guthrie, N'Zogbia, Owen, Martins

Fair enough, but he's not so weak that we need to be looking to get rid. IMO he's the best pound for pound left back we've had in a long long time. It's like saying John O'Shea isn't good enough for Man U because he'd be the weakest in their starting line-up.

Getting £7m for Shay + Johnson + Onuoha...

... is a better deal than...

Getting £10m for Shay and spending it on McManus and Ebondo.

Imho.

It's gonna hurt when Given goes, but we have to accept that he is going to at some point, whether it's in the summer or later. And if by selling him now, whilst his value is high, means that it improves our chances of staying up, we need to put sentiment to the back of our mind and go for it. I also would definitely not spend the money we receive for him on another keeper; Harper is more than good enough to fill the shirt until May.

Ive no idea why we would go for McManus. He isn't terrible, but no better than what we have and £4mil is quite a bit when we could get Christophe Berra from Hearts for half the price. He's young, has potential and would be great back up for us with the potential for him to push for a first team place in the next year or so. I can't see McManus coming here to be back up.

Maybe Joe will discover that Hearts exist before the end of the transfer window. He discovered Rangers and went for all their players, and seems to have noticed Celtic exist in the last few days, so maybe Hearts next.

Also think we should stand our ground and demand Johnson in exchange for Given and cash. He's also a good young player in a position we need. I think his personal problems are well documented, but hopefully a change in scenery would help him get over it. Would be pleased to see him and Barton in our midfield.

If we go for him rather than Berra I would imagine it would be because we could do with another experienced CB. We've been very fortunate that Bassong has been so solid as we might have been in a far worse position had he not been.

Bassong and Taylor are two young CBs we have on the books and so we could do with another older head in the ranks aside from Colo. Cacapa has pretty much been written off at this point.

The McManus link is a strange one considering the talk of Onuoha being offered as part of the deal for Given.

I'll be surprised if we still get Onuoha having moved for Ebondo. If anything I think he would have been more of a right back option for us.

If we get another CB I think it will be someone with a bit more experience.

Has anyone seen much of Nedum Onuoha btw? I can remember seeing him at the U21 Euro Championships, and i thought he looked absolutely class tbh. Mind, so did Taylor - but Taylor seems to have deteriorated since then. Onuoha looked a genuinely powerful, pacy full-back at that tournament; was quite jealous of City at that point having him and Richards on their books.

Has anyone seen much of Nedum Onuoha btw? I can remember seeing him at the U21 Euro Championships, and i thought he looked absolutely class tbh. Mind, so did Taylor - but Taylor seems to have deteriorated since then. Onuoha looked a genuinely powerful, pacy full-back at that tournament; was quite jealous of City at that point having him and Richards on their books.

What I've seen of him he looks class, definitely, would be very pleased to get him... ideal understudy for Beye.

Robbie Keane isn't coming here, he'd be a madman to. Don't get your hopes up whatsoever, why would he join a sinking ship with a useless owner, a clueless manager and a tiny squad staring at relegation?

next rumour plz!

I don't understand this whole player swap thing that everyone thinks is going to happen. How often do these happen with regards to transfers?

Obviously i was speaking hypothetically. There has been whisperings of a player exchange as a makeweight, though.

Hypothesising on transfers is the single worst thing people do on Internet forums.

And yet, it seems to be the main topic every transfer window.

The whole "we should sign..." line is tedious and about as useful as praying to cure world hunger.

Anyways, when, oh when, are we going to sign someone? Fuckin' hell I'm gettin' miserable.

Hypothesising on transfers is the single worst thing people do on Internet forums.

The whole "we should sign..." line is tedious and about as useful as praying to cure world hunger.

Anyways, when, oh when, are we going to sign someone? Fuckin' hell I'm gettin' miserable.

I never would have guessed.

I never would have guessed.

:(