The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Is Suazo pacey?

Can birds fly? hehe

hes faster then Martins imo

I'd like to see that race I reckon Martins is faster.

I'd say so aswell

Martins doesn't use his pace well though.  For someone so quick, how many times do you see him running clear of the last defender?

Part of it is down to the lack of any sort of through ball player in our midfield.

Exactly, players like Dyer were great at the short 10 yard slide rule pass through the defence, had we kept them two fit and together, we could have had a decent little team.

Dyer's pass through to Nobby away at Leeds was pretty special.

One of the greatest games ever. There's an amazing photo of Nobby putting that final goal away, having gone past Ian Harte, and even their shirts demonstrate the 3-4 scoreline. Magnificent.

Then get it posted man.

Can't find it you tosser, I'll keep looking though. We were top of the league that day, TOP OF THE FUCKING LEAGUE, we were winning football, fucking brilliant.

Martins is faster, he just hardly ever uses it.

True, or more like he doesn't know how and when to use it. It's stil a good outlet though if you have a pacey striker. i.e when we get beat, people say, ahh we missed Martins pace.

Someone finish that off for me :lol:

Is Suazo pacey?

Can birds fly? hehe

I'd say so aswell

Martins doesn't use his pace well though.  For someone so quick, how many times do you see him running clear of the last defender?

Part of it is down to the lack of any sort of through ball player in our midfield.

Exactly, players like Dyer were great at the short 10 yard slide rule pass through the defence, had we kept them two fit and together, we could have had a decent little team.

One of the greatest games ever. There's an amazing photo of Nobby putting that final goal away, having gone past Ian Harte, and even their shirts demonstrate the 3-4 scoreline. Magnificent.

Then get it posted man.

Can't find it you tosser, I'll keep looking though. We were top of the league that day, TOP OF THE FUCKING LEAGUE, we were winning football, fucking brilliant.

Tell you what though, just watched that on Dave's least favourite website, the arsenal game as well, almost brings a tear to the eye.

Is Suazo pacey?

Can birds fly? hehe

I'd say so aswell

Then get it posted man.

:lol:

Guest LucaAltieri

Rather lose Butt first. But that's unlikely as Kinnear reckons he is highly influential.

To the opposition aye.

Probably an important figure in the dressing room. I'd keep him around on that basis alone. Just wish he wasn't anywhere near the pitch.

Newcastle poised to bid for Rangers defender Bougherra

Rangers are braced for a January transfer bid from Newcastle United for their central defender Madjid Bougherra. The Algeria international, who moved to Ibrox in a £2million deal from Charlton Athletic in August, has interested Joe Kinnear after a string of impressive displays in the Scottish Premier League.

Bougherra's representatives are understood to have informed Rangers of the interest from Tyneside which should be followed up with a formal offer within the next month.

Rangers will demand at least £3m for the 26-year-old, who has also served Crewe Alexandra and Sheffield Wednesday. He is expected to return from injury for Rangers' visit to Inverness on Sunday.

Walter Smith has made no secret of his desire to trim his squad and, while he would rather it was fringe players who departed Ibrox, Bougherra's value and wage level mean Rangers would find it difficult to reject a serious bid. If Bougherra is sold, Smith would almost certainly move for a direct replacement in £3m-rated Hearts captain Christophe Berra.

Rangers have also been linked with Portsmouth's veteran defender Hermann Hreidarsson, who says he is certain to leave Fratton Park this month. "I want to leave Portsmouth and the club knows my position and I know they will not make it difficult for me to leave," said Hreidarsson.

"I have been in contact with a few clubs and I fully expect to be at another club come the end of this month. Nothing is concrete yet, but hopefully things will get clearer very soon."

Middlesbrough, meanwhile, will send scouting representation to Saturday's Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle as they consider a £2.5m bid for the 21-year-old Hibernian striker Steven Fletcher. Celtic are also believed to be keen on the Scotland international, who has two full caps, with Hibs likely to hold out for a fee of at least £3m.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jan/01/rangers-newcastl

Guest Darth Toon

Aye, because the last centre half we bought from Rangers in January turned out brilliantly....

It really does look like we're reduced to scouring the Championship and lesser leagues for "bargains"....

Is Suazo pacey?

Can birds fly? hehe

I'd say so aswell

mmmmm.......half of the through ball is the movement made so the player with the ball sees where to put it.

martins movement is poor

Rangers are braced for a January transfer bid from Newcastle United for their central defender Madjid Bougherra. The Algeria international, who moved to Ibrox in a £2million deal from Charlton Athletic in August, has interested Joe Kinnear after a string of impressive displays in the Scottish Premier League.

Bougherra's representatives are understood to have informed Rangers of the interest from Tyneside which should be followed up with a formal offer within the next month.

Rangers will demand at least £3m for the 26-year-old, who has also served Crewe Alexandra and Sheffield Wednesday. He is expected to return from injury for Rangers' visit to Inverness on Sunday.

Walter Smith has made no secret of his desire to trim his squad and, while he would rather it was fringe players who departed Ibrox, Bougherra's value and wage level mean Rangers would find it difficult to reject a serious bid. If Bougherra is sold, Smith would almost certainly move for a direct replacement in £3m-rated Hearts captain Christophe Berra.

Rangers have also been linked with Portsmouth's veteran defender Hermann Hreidarsson, who says he is certain to leave Fratton Park this month. "I want to leave Portsmouth and the club knows my position and I know they will not make it difficult for me to leave," said Hreidarsson.

"I have been in contact with a few clubs and I fully expect to be at another club come the end of this month. Nothing is concrete yet, but hopefully things will get clearer very soon."

Middlesbrough, meanwhile, will send scouting representation to Saturday's Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle as they consider a £2.5m bid for the 21-year-old Hibernian striker Steven Fletcher. Celtic are also believed to be keen on the Scotland international, who has two full caps, with Hibs likely to hold out for a fee of at least £3m.

I would be happier if we tried to sign Hreidarsson tbh.He can play both centre back and left back as  well

fuck off we need him :knuppel2:

Bougherra would be good cover for right back, centre half and holding midfield. For 3m, he has loads of potential. Physically he's superb and he's very good on the ball. A bit of nous and experience and he could be very good. Reminds me a bit of a young Rio- but not as good.

Bougherra would be good cover for right back, centre half and holding midfield. For 3m, he has loads of potential. Physically he's superb and he's very good on the ball. A bit of nous and experience and he could be very good. Reminds me a bit of a young Rio- but not as good.

He's 26. How much better can he get exactly?

As a centre half. A lot I would say. I thought he was 24 tbh, but Rio is 30. Has he not improved in the last 4 years?

As a centre half. A lot I would say. I thought he was 24 tbh, but Rio is 30. Has he not improved in the last 4 years?

He was good enough for Man Utd and Leeds to pay £18m+ each before he was 26, so there's your answer.

He was good enough for Man Utd and Leeds to pay £18m+ each before he was 26, so there's your answer.

What's that got to do with how much he's improved over the last 4 years though?

I got the impression the Captain was implying that he felt Ferdinand has massively improved in the last 4 years. I disagree, he was quality before then and the transfer fees reflect that.

Because he's comparing the players, Ferdinand was already a world class defender at Bougherra's age.

I got the impression the Captain was implying that he felt Ferdinand has massively improved in the last 4 years. I disagree, he was quality before then and the transfer fees reflect that.

Just because he was class before 4 years back doesn't mean to say he hasn't improved since then though. I'd say playing alongside Vidic these past couple of seasons has done Rio a fair few favours as a player. No reason why Coloccini or Bassong, maybe even Taylor can't have a similar effect on this Bougherra bloke if he signs.