Some forum news... with a caveat

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It would be

better if you

could automatically do

something like this.

Then people can chose for themselves.

I agree. Tell me the code and I'll do it. :lol:

Of course people could just do that manually but they won't.

Great move. I hate scrolling through these nested posts. I'd also suggest conversations which go off the topic altogether be split off and moved into the forum as a seperate thread with an appropriate title, for example:

SPLIT: Old board v New board

The topic starter would be the writer of the post which veers off the original topic.

SPLIT: Old board v New board

We'd end up with about 50 threads of that title.

Hell, every time NE5 came back from the pub there'd be about five new ones.

True. I'm pretty sure these boards have a merge option as well, so all those topics could be merged into one mega drone thread  O0

Since this change, my browser no longer goes directly to the most recent post when I click on the "new" tag next to a thread. Instead it now goes to the top of the most recent page -- meaning new scrolling to replace the old scrolling.

The new button still works fine for me.

What happened to the new server?

All the money went to research this new technology. Since the amount of text having to be loaded will be one tenth of what it used to be, we should be fine.

:lol:

The data is still there though, just not displayed. ;)

The old server subscription runs out at the middle/end of November. Obviously we're going to get something in place for then.

To be honest I for one didn't expect a third of the money we ended up receiving in donations, but then again we're looking at an upgrade that's going to cost about three times that currently paid.

Btw if the 'three quotes' thing doesn't appear to have worked, try refreshing your page. Should work from then on. I've just had to do this as I'm now on a different computer and the original megaquotes were still showing.

What happened to the new server?

Be patient, it takes time to get a quality server up and running. It needs a long term strategy, not short term fixes. Okay, nothing was done about it 2 months ago, or last month, or this month, but I'm sure something will be done about it next month or failing that the one after. Probably.

Obviously, the best way to go about it is to get 3 people to buy a load of cheap untested equipment, and then give it to someone else to cobble something together from parts they didn't want and with bits of it missing. Don't waste money on spares either, it wont break down. It's the Microsoft model - even though it's nothing like how Microsoft work.