Players we love but managers hate

TRon

I suppose the difference with Zog is that we can see he was royally fucked over when he was at the top of his game, inexplicably replaced just because big name Damien Duff was available for a 'bargain' price.

He should still pull his finger out and do something I agree, but it can't have been easy for him either.

I suppose the difference with Zog is that we can see he was royally fucked over when he was at the top of his game, inexplicably replaced just because big name Damien Duff was available for a 'bargain' price.

He should still pull his finger out and do something I agree, but it can't have been easy for him either.

He was fucked over two years ago, we've had three different managers since. I can put up with over-dribbling because sometimes the options haven't been there to do anything else, but even on Monday he didn't look like he was giving 100% and he gives that impression too often. He's had plenty opportunity to make the left wing spot his own but hasn't taken them.

Bellamy was the biggest example of a manager having too big an ego to swallow his pride for the good of the team. I think sometimes if players cross over from confident to arrogant, that's where the problems arise. Particularly with old school managers like Souness.

Souness wasn't old school, just an arsehole who couldn't admit he was ever wrong.

I suppose the difference with Zog is that we can see he was royally f***ed over when he was at the top of his game, inexplicably replaced just because big name Damien Duff was available for a 'bargain' price.

He was f***ed over two years ago, we've had three different managers since. I can put up with over-dribbling because sometimes the options haven't been there to do anything else, but even on Monday he didn't look like he was giving 100% and he gives that impression too often. He's had plenty opportunity to make the left wing spot his own but hasn't taken them.

:clap:

Agree with everything you have said. His attitude is what is holding him back IMO.

Gobby players I think like Bella's are the worst for managers, their talent has to outweigh their gob.

Then there are those players like Shola who give their all effort wise durring training but never really doi it on a match day.

I suppose the difference with Zog is that we can see he was royally f***ed over when he was at the top of his game, inexplicably replaced just because big name Damien Duff was available for a 'bargain' price.

He was f***ed over two years ago, we've had three different managers since. I can put up with over-dribbling because sometimes the options haven't been there to do anything else, but even on Monday he didn't look like he was giving 100% and he gives that impression too often. He's had plenty opportunity to make the left wing spot his own but hasn't taken them.

:clap:

Agree with everything you have said. His attitude is what is holding him back IMO.

I'd probably agree with that. But he really has been fucked about by two managers. First by Roeder, obviously, which was an absolute fucking joke to be quite frank - and again with Allardyce who played him here there and everywhere - LB, LW, CM, RW. You say he's had plenty of opportunities to make left-wing his own, but by whom...? Roeder wouldn't play him if his life depended on it and he was strictly a full-back as far as Allardyce was concerned. He never really got a proper chance at left-wing under Keegan, either.

Last season, whenever we switched around and pushed him up to the wing, we'd be lauding him, saying how class he was and what a difference it made.

Yeah, his heart isn't as in it as it should be, but i don't agree with anyone saying he's had 'plenty of chances to make it his own'. When he's played there in the past he's played well. If we're going 4-4-2 he'd still be in my eleven in the long-term.

The bumfest of him comes from the 05/06 season, obviously, where he was fucking mint on the wing. Since when has he had a prolonged period down the left, like?

The problems with N'Zogbia, both on a personal and tactical level, never seem to change. A serious waste.

In the current squad there aren't many, but I would say Oba and Cacapa might fit into this category.

The fact Charlie hasn't done anything really for two and a half years might be the reason why managers don't love him so to speak.

who are the player, owen aside, who have done anything of note in that time?

It's true there aren't many, but N'Zogbia has been a massive under achiever in the last two and a half years.  Strange that he's still so popular tbh.

His popularity is based on what he's produced in the past and is capable of producing, in theory anyway. I like Zog but he's got an attitude problem. There are times when he looks like he can't be bothered and that's probably the reason he has been consistently over-looked by successive managers.

Aye it just amazes me that Taylor has gone backwards he rightly gets hammered for it, whereas N'Zogbia has arguably gone backwards just as much, and he's still seen as the future of the club.

He has the potential to be a good player, but he's done nothing to realise that potential for a good few years, & is in danger of ending up like another Ameobi, where he'll turn 27 and people will still be claiming he's due another chance.

If you ask me, we need to sell N'Zogbia. He has the potential to be a good player, but he has stagnated here, and I'm not sure any thing can be done to reverse that at this club. He could use a change of scenery and we could use the funds.

Defensive midfield players in the style of Butt tend to be more valued by managers.

My own feeling is that while you need someone to protect the back four, there's no point in choosing a player that keeps giving the ball away and puts pressure on the defence that way.

Defensive midfield players in the style of Butt tend to be more valued by managers.

My own feeling is that while you need someone to protect the back four, there's no point in choosing a player that keeps giving the ball away and puts pressure on the defence that way.

Players like Butt are the reliable option. You will get 100% from them and they won't rock the boat. Duff, Milner, Smith and Geremi are all good characters who the manager can trust. That doesn't necessarily translate into a winning team though as Keegan and Allardyce found out last season. The blend still has to be right and the best managers get it right like Ferguson and Wenger. Others like Dalglish and Allardyce end up scared of their own shadow and their teams reflect that.

Luque was the one, we got to see our whole reserves team get a taste of first team football just so he dosn't, i remember Shola played on the left wing for a couple of month aswell!

Absolute shite, it says players we, meaning more than one person, loved.