Villa - walking the walk.

Neil

Must say I'm becoming increasingly impressed by Villa, today's result another in a period of forward progression for MON's team. To me, they're showing exactly what the Premiership is turning into - pace, athleticism and technique being absolutely key. However they combine this is with a relatively strong defence and a target man in Carew that can make things happen.

My only worry is the size of their squad, a couple of additions in January and are they, *drum roll*, top 4 material?

Been saying this for a while now, I really fancy them for the top five this season. Last season they were a back four away from having a very good year. They have creativity and industriousness in the middle, pace and great delivery from the wings and a big strong forward up top. If they can continue keeping clean sheets I can only see them improving again this season.

Take the chequebook away from them, then we'll see

Take the checkbook away from the top 4 then we will see

Exactly right

Guest quklaani

This years Villa would have pipped last year's Liverpool (as Everton should have done anyway) but its hard to see them doing so now.  Maybe Arsenal will go back to their old habits and be their for the taking, hard to say at this point.

Won't crack the top four this season.

The squad is a lot stronger this season. We've got proper full backs for a start, in Shorey and Young, and when Bouma comes back, we'll be even stronger at LB. Cuellar, Laursen, Davis and Knight at CB (I suspect Cuellar and Laursen will become the first choice pairing, Cuellar was excellent on Thursday and again today apparently).

Midfield - Barry, Petrov, Young, Milner, Reo-Coker, Sidwell (who featured for the first time today, and scored).

Forwards - Carew, Agbonlahor and Harewood, with Delfouneso coming through.

Looking at that, you can see where the strength is, but you can also see where the weakness is. We won't break the top four this season, and the reason is we're not strong enough up front. If we could land someone like RSC in January (unlikely), it would make a difference.

To be honest, most of our lot wouldn't want to scrape fourth and then struggle to back it up next year. We'd rather get best of the rest, and strengthen our position, to build something more sustainable.

The squad is a lot stronger this season. We've got proper full backs for a start, in Shorey and Young, and when Bouma comes back, we'll be even stronger at LB. Cuellar, Laursen, Davis and Knight at CB (I suspect Cuellar and Laursen will become the first choice pairing, Cuellar was excellent on Thursday and again today apparently).

Midfield - Barry, Petrov, Young, Milner, Reo-Coker, Sidwell (who featured for the first time today, and scored).

Looking at that, you can see where the strength is, but you can also see where the weakness is. We won't break the top four this season, and the reason is we're not strong enough up front. If we could land someone like RSC in January (unlikely), it would make a difference.

To be honest, most of our lot wouldn't want to scrape fourth and then struggle to back it up next year. We'd rather get best of the rest, and strengthen our position, to build something more sustainable.

*A big reflective sigh*

Sounds so easy.

Guest The Libertine

o'neill or roeder, o'neill or roeder.....

cheers fat man.

Not Freddy's fault if O'Neill never wanted the job.

he seemed quite interested at the time.

If the FA had got their act together when finding a replacement for Sven instead of fannying around then O'Neill would likely have been here tbh.

I'm sure some of our fans would have been calling for his head if he finished his first season for us in the same position he finished for Villa though.

o'neill or roeder, o'neill or roeder.....

cheers fat man.

Not Freddy's fault if O'Neill never wanted the job.

It was if the reason O'Neill didn't want the job was because he's have to work with Shepherd every day. ;)

Guest nufc_kev

I doubt you'll tempt the Royal Shakespeare Company out of retirement like ;)

I doubt you'll tempt the Royal Shakespeare Company out of retirement like ;)

Must....not....make....pun.....

They remind me of us in 2001-02. A mix of exciting young players and quality experienced campaigners, incredible pace, power up front, goals from all over the park, absolutely lethal from set pieces. He's put together a fantastic team and they're the model for how any foreign owners coming in should be running clubs.

Usually I'd be jealous but I'm not, I have nothing but admiration for them.