Villa - walking the walk.

Neil

The test will come if, say, they do well and finish 5th this season, and it comes to getting a couple of real quality players in - not particularly CAN they do it, but how will they fit in? Will they maintain the strong team spirit that is essential for a small-ish squad like Villa?

And on another note, it's refreshing to see the squad based on an English core - they could probably field a very competent all-English XI. How many teams can boast that, in this ENGLISH Premier League?

Guest Howaythetoon

A good manager with clear ideas backed fully by his fans and chairman doing a good job at a reasonably big club. Who'd have thought that. People shouldn't be surprised by Villa or MON. What irks me is that KK could have easily carried out the same kind of job here if fully backed, within time of course. Indeed we were very much on our way. Forget the Arsenal template, or the Spurs one. Villa and Everton are the kind of templates we need to follow. Ironically when Shepherd appointed Allardyce, it appeared he had finally woken up to what was required too. Part of me does wonder where we would be now under Allardyce backed by Shepherd. A darn sight better off than we are now I imagine. Whoever does take over the club need only to look at Villa and Everton for inspiration - I hope!

I'm jealous. :lol:

However, i'm not jealous in the way i am of other teams. I'm a good sort of jealous - they're likeable. English team with likeable characters too.

And aye, basically look just like us in 2001/02. Probably not as good as we were at that point... but if the league atm was how it was back then, they'd probably be in the top four too. If you get what i mean.

Guest Howaythetoon

Anyone else find them deadly boring?

The club itself is boring and always has been in terms of the general perception by others of it, I guess a lot of that stems from the part of the world they come from which is also regarded as a pretty boring part of England by *many. However I don't think Villa fans really care to be honest and what I'd give to follow a normal boring old football club for a change rather than the circus we are at times.

*I work in Birmingham regularly and outside of the brummie accent, I find it an OK place to be honest, not as lively as Newcastle or other places but not as boring and as totally irrelevant as the media like to portray it as. Canny people those West Midlanders if you ask me. Our own Brummie included.

I can see them going down the same route as spuds soon mind, all the young english players spurs played got them to fifth in the league, they then decided to get to big for there boots and start spending loads on pish foreigners to try and get them up to 4th instantly, they would of been better of building with the young english players instead of trying to instantly break the top 4

Won't crack the top four this season.

The squad is a lot stronger this season. We've got proper full backs for a start, in Shorey and Young, and when Bouma comes back, we'll be even stronger at LB. Cuellar, Laursen, Davis and Knight at CB (I suspect Cuellar and Laursen will become the first choice pairing, Cuellar was excellent on Thursday and again today apparently).

Midfield - Barry, Petrov, Young, Milner, Reo-Coker, Sidwell (who featured for the first time today, and scored).

Forwards - Carew, Agbonlahor and Harewood, with Delfouneso coming through.

Looking at that, you can see where the strength is, but you can also see where the weakness is. We won't break the top four this season, and the reason is we're not strong enough up front. If we could land someone like RSC in January (unlikely), it would make a difference.

To be honest, most of our lot wouldn't want to scrape fourth and then struggle to back it up next year. We'd rather get best of the rest, and strengthen our position, to build something more sustainable.

Okay I thought about it but can't figure it out. Who? ???

Guest Heneage

I debate the teams strength and depth in centre of park and up top.

That wasn't much of a debate. :lol:

:p

I just think if they get a few injuries they are fucked. Like when we had 4-5 out, take 4-5 away and they aren't as good, in fact theyd really struggle.

I debate the teams strength and depth in centre of park and up top.

That wasn't much of a debate. :lol:

:p

I just think if they get a few injuries they are f***ed. Like when we had 4-5 out, take 4-5 away and they aren't as good, in fact theyd really struggle.

As would every other side at some point.

Guest Heneage

Chelsea didn't last week. I can also imagine MOTD of highlighting it if it happened but when its us its our fault for some reason.

Won't crack the top four this season.

The squad is a lot stronger this season. We've got proper full backs for a start, in Shorey and Young, and when Bouma comes back, we'll be even stronger at LB. Cuellar, Laursen, Davis and Knight at CB (I suspect Cuellar and Laursen will become the first choice pairing, Cuellar was excellent on Thursday and again today apparently).

Midfield - Barry, Petrov, Young, Milner, Reo-Coker, Sidwell (who featured for the first time today, and scored).

Forwards - Carew, Agbonlahor and Harewood, with Delfouneso coming through.

Looking at that, you can see where the strength is, but you can also see where the weakness is. We won't break the top four this season, and the reason is we're not strong enough up front. If we could land someone like RSC in January (unlikely), it would make a difference.

To be honest, most of our lot wouldn't want to scrape fourth and then struggle to back it up next year. We'd rather get best of the rest, and strengthen our position, to build something more sustainable.

Okay I thought about it but can't figure it out. Who? ???

Roque Santa Cruz

The club itself is boring and always has been in terms of the general perception by others of it, I guess a lot of that stems from the part of the world they come from which is also regarded as a pretty boring part of England by *many. However I don't think Villa fans really care to be honest and what I'd give to follow a normal boring old football club for a change rather than the circus we are at times.

*I work in Birmingham regularly and outside of the brummie accent, I find it an OK place to be honest, not as lively as Newcastle or other places but not as boring and as totally irrelevant as the media like to portray it as. Canny people those West Midlanders if you ask me. Our own Brummie included.

Boring and always has been?

In recent years, yes, but my definition of a boring club would be one that never finishes in the higher places in the league, and never wins anything. We've had a few years of nondescript nothingness under the last years of Ellis, but "always has been"?

I don't think so

Oh, and the generalised, ill-informed nonsense about the city itself made you sound a bit like a well known former poster, now no longer with us. Expected a bit better of you, tbh HTT.

On their day Villa are the most exciting team to watch in the Premier League, aside from maybe Arsenal and Manure.

Truth

It's true that I always thought of them as a meh club. Quite boring. But MON has done a fantastic job of bringing a new breed of player to them, and they have become the PL's version of the entertainers for me in the last couple of seasons. I think the signings of Young and Carew, along with the emergence of Agbonlahor have moved them a step up

Guest Howaythetoon

Boring and always has been?

In recent years, yes, but my definition of a boring club would be one that never finishes in the higher places in the league, and never wins anything. We've had a few years of nondescript nothingness under the last years of Ellis, but "always has been"?

I don't think so

Oh, and the generalised, ill-informed nonsense about the city itself made you sound a bit like a well known former poster, now no longer with us. Expected a bit better of you, tbh HTT.

Brummie, that's not my actual opinion, just saying how many seem to find Villa as a club and Birmingham and its people boring which I did say I didn't actually agree with, was merely commentating on the perceptions man.

I don't find Villa boring to watch at all. I like teams that are quite direct as long as they attack with pace like Villa do. Not surprising that the team is looking much better with proper full backs as they were always key positions in his Celtic team that he had playing so well. Carew on his day is an excellent player but they probably need another top quality forward player in the team. Probably more of a creative type.