Let's talk about passports and that. What does 'foreign' REALLY mean?

Dave

Arsenal - Arsene Wenger

Aston Villa - Martin O'Neill

Blackburn Rovers - Paul Ince

Bolton Wanderers - Gary Megson

Chelsea - Phil Scolari

Everton - David Moyes

Fulham - Roy Hodgson

Hull City - Phil Brown

Liverpool - Rafael Benitez

Manchester City - Mark Hughes

Manchester United - Alex Ferguson

Middlesbrough - Gareth Southgate

Newcastle United - Joe Kinnear

Portsmouth - Tony Adams

Stoke City - Tony Pulis

Sunderland - Roy Keane

Tottenham Hotspur - Harry Redknapp

West Bromwich Albion - Tony Mowbray

West Ham United - Gianfranco Zola

Wigan Athletic - Steve Bruce

Roy Keane and Joe Kinnear are foreign

Guest sicko2ndbest

As is ONeill

I thought he referenced these types of managers as 'home grown' in terms of where they applied their trade

Guest sicko2ndbest

As is ONeill

I thought he referenced these types of managers as 'home grown' in terms of where they applied their trade

O'Neill isn't, he's British

Kinnear and Keane are Irish

My bad you are right.

I would still class Kinnear and Keane as 'home grown' managers on the basis of their playing career

Arsenal - Arsene Wenger

Aston Villa - Martin O'Neill

Blackburn Rovers - Paul Ince

Bolton Wanderers - Gary Megson

Chelsea - Phil Scolari

Everton - David Moyes

Fulham - Roy Hodgson

Hull City - Phil Brown

Liverpool - Rafael Benitez

Manchester City - Mark Hughes

Manchester United - Alex Ferguson

Middlesbrough - Gareth Southgate

Newcastle United - Joe Kinnear

Portsmouth - Tony Adams

Stoke City - Tony Pulis

Sunderland - Roy Keane

Tottenham Hotspur - Harry Redknapp

West Bromwich Albion - Tony Mowbray

West Ham United - Gianfranco Zola

Wigan Athletic - Steve Bruce

Roy Keane and Joe Kinnear are foreign

only four Premier League managers are foreigners in the true sense of the word

Depends on the club and circumstances. I don't think the circumstances at Newcastle now are ideal for a foreign manager.

For where Spurs were last season, Ramos was the perfect appointment. They were the ones on the brink of the top 4, and no manager in this country has really had experience of doing that, whereas in Spain Ramos had done something similar with Sevilla. Now though rock-bottom, the safe option was Redknapp, who's had experience of getting clubs out of a hole.

I think this is very true, no-one is expecting Redknapp to break  into the top 4 not even Levy. The Spurs' "Ramos Project" has put the club back 5 years and all Redknapp is expected to do is get them out of the bottom three and into the top half of the table. The media are jumping out of their foreskins because their blue-eyed boy has finally been given a chance at a big club but Redknapp was not even on the agenda when Spurs were sniffing around Ramos.

I think there is a perception that foreign managers think a bit more about the game and are better educated in footballing terms. The real acid test for British/Irish managers will be the next time Man Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal need a new manager. Will one of them take the plunge on a Mark Hughes, Roy Kean or Sam Allardyce (ok that one was a joke) or will they bring in a continental big name a la Mourinho etc.

As is ONeill

O'Neill isn't British. He is, however, a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

As is ONeill

O'Neill isn't British. He is, however, a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The EU hasn't YET got its way about uniting the whole of Ireland - O'Neill is an Ulsterman, and as such, still classed as British ; until the six counties are part of the Irish Republic, N.I.is still part of Britain.

A mate of mine is from Norn Iron, and was technically British, but being a Catholic, he got himself an Irish passport as soon as he could when it became a lot easier a few years back.

No, he wasn't technically British. He was technically a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

A mate of mine is from Norn Iron, and was technically British, but being a Catholic, he got himself an Irish passport as soon as he could when it became a lot easier a few years back.

No, he wasn't technically British. He was technically a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

But Rep of ireland northern ireland and Great Britain are all in the British Isles.

Sorry, you're quite right. But now he's Irish (always was in his head).

But Rep of ireland northern ireland and Great Britain are all in the British Isles.

Yep. But that's geography, not politics/citizenship. Like being in Europe isn't the same as being in the European Union.

Sorry, you're quite right. But now he's Irish (always was in his head).

Drifting ever further off topic, but can anyone from N. Ireland get an Irish passport, or is it a matter of ancestry/religion?

There have been a lot of foreign manager disasters that I think have put many chairman off employing foreigners. There are only a few I would trust to manage Newcastle, as I think many wouldn't be able to handle the pressure in the way Robson did. Souness, Roeder Allardyce and Keegan have all eventually succumbed to the pressure of being manager of Newcastle. I would worry as to whether a foreigner could handle the pressure.

There have been a lot of foreign manager disasters that I think have put many chairman off employing foreigners. There are only a few I would trust to manage Newcastle, as I think many wouldn't be able to handle the pressure in the way Robson did. Souness, Roeder Allardyce and Keegan have all eventually succumbed to the pressure of being manager of Newcastle. I would worry as to whether a foreigner could handle the pressure.

Pointing out that four British managers have failed to tough it out is an odd way of arguing that a "foreigner" couldn't -- although of course Gullit didn't.

No matter how you slice it, O'Neill is simply not British.

Northern Ireland is not Britain, as a mere glance at any UK passport will reveal: "The United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland."

If it wasn't part of Britain, he wouldn't get a British passport - and that is what he will have.

Also, because Scotland(which actually has MORE independent powers than N.I.- Tax-raising etc )  is classed as being at least as devolved as NI, are you then saying that SAF is 'not British'?

He(and Alex Salmond) might argue that he WASN'T, but by your Passport definition, he IS British because Scotland is NOT mentioned as being a separate country..

I still maintain that O'Neill is technically British, even though he himself might deny that...

As Wacko says, if he gets an Irish Passport , then he becomes Irish and therefore, technically foreign.