Given

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Plays his 450th game for the club on Monday night. Quality keeper... this season he's been as close to his best as he's been for the last two or three seasons, following them injury troubles.

This one's for the older members, really... i mean - the only keepers I can compare with Given are the likes of Harper... erm, Krul? Pav? Tommy Wright? Karelse?

So aye, best keeper we've ever had?

Plays his 450th game for the club on Monday night. Quality keeper... this season he's been as close to his best as he's been for the last two or three seasons, following them injury troubles.

This one's for the older members, really... i mean - the only keepers I can compare with Given are the likes of Harper... erm, Krul? Pav? Tommy Wright? Karelse?

So aye, best keeper we've ever had?

Great servant to the club.  :thup:

I would put him among the great premiership keepers there has been certainly in terms of consistency.

Defo.

He is a legend, and the fact some people will have a go at him for absolutely anything, see Richardson's free kick thread, is a fucking joke.  Guess they won't realise just how important he is for us until he's gone.

We'd be sitting bottom of the table right now if it wasn't for Given.

Without doubt, up there with the Toon heroes, Shearer, Keegan, Peter B, Sir Bobby and the rest.

not quite in Beardsley's league to be fair

but aye, best keeeper in my lifetime, not that that's saying much like. Hooper, Srnicek, Hislop, Karelse, Harper, Wright are the others to make premiership appearances for us like  :lol:

Is it true hes a Doorman ?

I bet hes s**** everything got past him in his playing days :lol:

hilarious

aye he's a Doorman at Walkabout in Durham amongst other places, had a word with him 2 years back, real gentle giant tbh

Everytime I think of Hooper, the first thing I think of is that FA Cup defeat away at Luton. :(

his last game against Spurs for me. It's like he became a genuinely good keeper for one night only

Luton game was shocking like, horrible misjudgement after horrible misjudgement. We played Wimbledon away a few days later and conceeded 4. The concensus was 'if there were guns in the croud he would have been shot'

Hooper used to be into birdwatching if i remember rightly. My everlasting memory of him will be when we got beat at home to So'ton when there were no home fans allowed and Le Tissier scored (quelle suprise!) a free-kick when Hooper had positioned the wall to one side and then stood behind it.

Guest Ice__Mag

Is it true hes a Doorman ?

I bet hes s**** everything got past him in his playing days :lol:

hilarious

aye he's a Doorman at Walkabout in Durham amongst other places, had a word with him 2 years back, real gentle giant tbh

Yeah he works at Studio in Chester-le-Street aswell. He's good craic.

Well you get these keepers who are either very young or new to the league. They have a good season and suddenly they are "better than Given" who has done it year after year. Then these supposed better keepers fade away and 5 years later Shay is still one of the best in the league.

Well you get these keepers who are either very young or new to the league. They have a good season and suddenly they are "better than Given" who has done it year after year. Then these supposed better keepers fade away and 5 years later Shay is still one of the best in the league.

Absolutely spot on. Especially with Liverpool, from James to Westeveld to Dudek and now Reina - all proclaimed as better keepers and in my opinion none as good as him. James may have improved with age, but he's still an accident waiting to happen. If Given would have been at any 'top 4' club not only would he have a cupboard full of medals, he'd be rated without doubt as one of the best 'Premiership age' goalkeepers, instead of people saying those like Gomes and Almunia are better (see FM2009 attributes for details) :idiot2:

fair enough. :thup:

Cech and VDS remain better though

Guest Heneage

fair enough. :thup:

Cech and VDS remain better though

I really think neither is better, Givens never made half the clangers these two have.