Given

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If Harper was as good as Given he wouldn't have been happy to sit on the bench for the last 10 years.

Given is miles ahead of him ffs.

Not now he isn't - that's my opinion, and there are others who also think so - remember that thread last season about 'Given beaten easily again from long rang'.....!?

BTW...Is Harper regular starter for reserves or Krul (or Forster)? If so it really doesn't help Krul's developement as he's getting no games at all!

There's no point playing an old keeper who's leaving anyway in the near future(next 2 or 3 years)

The one set up by Crumpy? The one where Given was beaten by the odd wonderstrike?

Don't you mean the one where he stood behind a badly-organised wall and watched as Elano's shot tore past him, despite the fact that he had a full view of what Elano was going to do? Or even the Villa game where he was virtually a spectator when Carew & Co hit the side for 6 ?? Etc Etc....

I note that KK had Harper back between the sticks for all the crucial run-in games after that....

The one set up by Crumpy? The one where Given was beaten by the odd wonderstrike?

Don't you mean the one where he stood behind a badly-organised wall and watched as Elano's shot tore past him, despite the fact that he had a full view of what Elano was going to do? Or even the Villa game where he was virtually a spectator when Carew & Co hit the side for 6 ?? Etc Etc....

I note that KK had Harper back between the sticks for all the crucial run-in games after that....

Is that the Villa game where we got beat FOUR one and Shay went off injured shortly after the second? And that would be the same injury that kepthim out of the subsequent games you refer to?

Some fucking people.

Is that the Villa game where we got beat FOUR one and Shay went off injured shortly after the second? And that would be the same injury that kepthim out of the subsequent games you refer to?

Some fucking people.

Remember the Derby game when Given got lobbed by Miller, shit positioning for that one.

Some f***ing people.

Remember the Derby game when Given got lobbed by Miller, s*** positioning for that one.

It was Harper..

Some f***ing people.

Remember the Derby game when Given got lobbed by Miller, s*** positioning for that one.

It was Harper..

Cheers :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Easily in my lifetime without doubt. Me Granda when he was alive reckoned that Simpson was the best though.

Me father used to say the same. Shay for me though obviously.

No contest in my lifetime with the s*** keepers I had to look at.Im biased I know but I would rate him up there with Schemical

nowhere near Schmeichal man, did you watch Schmeichal? complete goalkeeper, better than Given at everything tbh

Guest optimistic nit

Best Goalkeeper? Over what period?

Maybe over the past 10 years - and now, I still think Harper is as good...

I think you would find that its only young fans who have voted Given as the club's best-ever keeper.

there is absolutely no way harper is as good as given. even when he was in the best form of his career (last season) he wasn't that much better than given going through his worst period since joining the club. we managed to get into the top 4 2 seasons in a row when our defence was arguably worse than it was last season. we found out last season what its like to have a shite defence without a shay given in top form.

Guest firetotheworks

Best Goalkeeper? Over what period?

Maybe over the past 10 years - and now, I still think Harper is as good...

I think you would find that its only young fans who have voted Given as the club's best-ever keeper.

there is absolutely no way harper is as good as given. even when he was in the best form of his career (last season) he wasn't that much better than given going through his worst period since joining the club. we managed to get into the top 4 2 seasons in a row when our defence was arguably worse than it was last season. we found out last season what its like to have a s**** defence without a shay given in top form.

I agree with you to an extent, I think the big one was the defence we had when we beat Juve at home...it was shite. Difference between now and then though is that we have a better defence but a much more diluted, less balanced and less creative midfield and forward line. It wasnt in any way down to Shay being a superman during the average Souness/Roeder/Allardyce match. He wasnt the difference between a win and a loss, he was usually the difference between being beaten and being well and truly raped.

Always liked Given, the one thing that pissed me off was when SBR did a rotation thing between him and Harper and it was working great untill Shay started complaining and he got to start every game afterwards

Aye, what a bad move that was eh.

Always liked Given, the one thing that pissed me off was when SBR did a rotation thing between him and Harper and it was working great untill Shay started complaining and he got to start every game afterwards

I thought you started supporting us when Luque joined?  ???

The turning point was the first few games of the 2001-2 season. The season before that, Harper & Given were pretty much on a par, and played a similar number of games. Start of the next, Given dropped a clanger at Chelsea when Zenden beat him somehow, and then at home to Troyes he got beaten by a softly hitten free-kick from about 30-yards. Could have been easy for Robson to drop him after that (I remember at the time a lot of fans calling for him to be dropped too), but he stuck with him, and he's never looked back since.