Hold Your Hands Up - Roeder Related Again

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest thompers

58% :lol: Fuck off, fickle bastards. I certainly know what my stance was and I know that 58% weren't backing my views when I was getting shit for not giving the bloke a chance.

I was and still am against his appointment, Roeder is not good enough, never has been, and never will be good enough to manage this club.

I still think people didn't understand the negative effect Souness had on the players and fans while manager.  Roeder did nothing more than put the right players in the right positions and stopped moaning about injuries.

I was always against Roeder, I never thought we would in a relegation fight with him though! just mid table, "no more  no less", his record said he was never going get us where the Toon should be, but after he was appointed I thought well at least we should support him but after the summer transfer debacle I knew his time here was short it was so obvious Freddy took matters into his own hands and bought trophy  players which we didn't really need, what we needed  defenders!all that says he was not in charge!, and thats what a Manager should be.

58%  Fuck off, fickle bastards. I certainly know what my stance was and I know that 58% weren't backing my views when I was getting shit for not giving the bloke a chance.

i remember being in the minority too, wonder where theyve all gone

Rather ironic that I should agree with everything you say until the summary when I disagreed with just about everything! :lol:

- ;)

Martins - Not at £10m, trophy signing tbh.

How could this be trophy signing, when Martins is not even an established striker in Internationale? Dirk Kuyt would be a trophy signing. Martins is, and has always been, a long term buy. He is only 21, apparently.

Duff - unnecessary

Correct me if I were wrong, but I thought you said that Damien Duff is too good to be missed, or something to this effect?

Sibierski - If a freebie, yes.  Could have done a job for Newcastle for a season whilst awaiting Owen's return.

Freebie yes, every freebie is welcome because they are free and disposable. But I would really rather spend a million extra for Cole and Kanu (even they are both actually free). Also, why don't we just keep Michael Chopra !!? Additionally, I don't think Sibierski is a freebie. We spent a few hundred thousands on him if my memory serves me right.

Rossi - No, point of principle that I wouldn't want Spurs or Newcastle giving any other club's youngsters experience.  Leave that route to Charlton or Fulham.

I fail to see why you insist on your point of principle at this point, when you will settle for free signing of old, unwanted and unproven strikers from other struggling premiership club!? Fact is we need a stop gap, a good stop gap, someone who can buy us time till January, and potentially next summer. Why should we miss out a potentialially good player just because he is a loan signing? By buying Sibierski from Manchester City, we help them trim out deadwoods and reduce wage bill. Which is worse? Helping a direct competitior, Manchester City, or helping a club far superior than us, that we won't be able to match them anyway in near future, ie Manchester United?

Bernard - No, simply blind panic setting in.

Another freebie, I am happy. Shite he could be, if he turns out good then we spent next to nothing and get a good player. Disposable too. We should have obtained another more established, or potentially better, left back from anywhere, even if it means us paying a million or 2. Examples include Jonathan Spector, Wayne Bridge, Leighton Baines, Chris Powell, George McCartney, Julio Arca and Franck Queudrue. Anyway, Roeder at least addrresses the left back problem, adds one body at least. Don't know why he never tries him out though, even as substitute.

Also, I dont know why he did nothing, at least apparently, in bringing in another body as back up to Mr. Carr, or as replacement to Mr Boumsong.

For strikers, I wouldn't have argued with Jason Roberts, Leroy Lita or Freddy Eastwood.  All 3 could have been signed for less than £6m, those that failed to meet the standard could have been sold at a later window.  I would have been happy for any of those to have gone to Spurs prior to signing Mido permanently.  Add to those a more experienced striker like Benni McCarthy for another couple of mill and the lack of striking options would have been addressed with  6 strikers (including Sibierski and Ameobi) with Owen waiting to return. Apply a similar strategy with the defence and the £15m transfer fund would have put together an adequate squad numerically and far more balanced in overall strength. 

Agreed.

Totally against Roeders appointment. A previous poor track record as a manager, no formal coaching qualifications , not a big name manager that could attract top quality players.

Could see us regretting The Fat One's stupid decision.

Rather ironic that I should agree with everything you say until the summary when I disagreed with just about everything! :lol:

- ;)

Martins - Not at £10m, trophy signing tbh.

How could this be trophy signing, when Martins is not even an established striker in Internationale? Dirk Kuyt would be a trophy signing. Martins is, and has always been, a long term buy. He is only 21, apparently.

Duff - unnecessary

Correct me if I were wrong, but I thought you said that Damien Duff is too good to be missed, or something to this effect?

Sibierski - If a freebie, yes.  Could have done a job for Newcastle for a season whilst awaiting Owen's return.

Freebie yes, every freebie is welcome because they are free and disposable. But I would really rather spend a million extra for Cole and Kanu (even they are both actually free). Also, why don't we just keep Michael Chopra !!? Additionally, I don't think Sibierski is a freebie. We spent a few hundred thousands on him if my memory serves me right.

Rossi - No, point of principle that I wouldn't want Spurs or Newcastle giving any other club's youngsters experience.  Leave that route to Charlton or Fulham.

I fail to see why you insist on your point of principle at this point, when you will settle for free signing of old, unwanted and unproven strikers from other struggling premiership club!? Fact is we need a stop gap, a good stop gap, someone who can buy us time till January, and potentially next summer. Why should we miss out a potentialially good player just because he is a loan signing? By buying Sibierski from Manchester City, we help them trim out deadwoods and reduce wage bill. Which is worse? Helping a direct competitior, Manchester City, or helping a club far superior than us, that we won't be able to match them anyway in near future, ie Manchester United?

Bernard - No, simply blind panic setting in.

Another freebie, I am happy. Shite he could be, if he turns out good then we spent next to nothing and get a good player. Disposable too. We should have obtained another more established, or potentially better, left back from anywhere, even if it means us paying a million or 2. Examples include Jonathan Spector, Wayne Bridge, Leighton Baines, Chris Powell, George McCartney, Julio Arca and Franck Queudrue. Anyway, Roeder at least addrresses the left back problem, adds one body at least. Don't know why he never tries him out though, even as substitute.

Also, I dont know why he did nothing, at least apparently, in bringing in another body as back up to Mr. Carr, or as replacement to Mr Boumsong.

For strikers, I wouldn't have argued with Jason Roberts, Leroy Lita or Freddy Eastwood.  All 3 could have been signed for less than £6m, those that failed to meet the standard could have been sold at a later window.  I would have been happy for any of those to have gone to Spurs prior to signing Mido permanently.  Add to those a more experienced striker like Benni McCarthy for another couple of mill and the lack of striking options would have been addressed with  6 strikers (including Sibierski and Ameobi) with Owen waiting to return. Apply a similar strategy with the defence and the £15m transfer fund would have put together an adequate squad numerically and far more balanced in overall strength. 

Agreed.

Martins - If he's not established as a first team player with Inter and he's being bought for his potential, £10m is a helluva lot of money to get that potential.

Duff - Even though Zoggy was in the squad, I did think that Duff's signing would strengthen the attacking options with his versatility as a LW or striker and I still stand by that.  What we didn't know was that his (and Martins purchase) would cause serious imbalance in the squad.  To achieve that balance, the transfer fee should have been spent elsewhere and settle for just Zoggy (and Luque :roll:) to cover LW.

Sibierski - When you say Cole I assume you mean Carlton Cole.  You may recall that Spurs were after him and the reports said he failed the medical due to a dodgy knee.  He turned up for the medical seriously pissed, which by all accounts is not unusual.  Kanu is talented without question but has never been prolific (except this season) so I would say no.  That doesn't mean to say I can't understand why anyone would want to sign him, Kanoute falls into the same category.  As for Chopra, totally agree.  He was never given a serious chance at Newcastle, I would have kept him rather than get £500k.  You really can't get much for £500k unless you're really lucky.

Rossi -  he is no more proven than Eastwood or Lita and certainly less proven than Roberts and McCarthy.  I would have had those in before Rossi and I wouldn't argue with Sibierski if he was free (although you rather doubt that).  Sibierski may be ageing but has played in the premiership.  If you're saying Rossi should be brought in ahead of an older player who would be contracted to Newcastle, I would rather sign another youngster with potential, like Varney at Crewe.  Very simply, I can't see oe good reason to help develop another team's players.  You may think that Manu aren't true competition for Newcastle at the present time, but Newcastle's ambition should be on that level within Rossi's career span.

Bernard - Accept your point about him being a Bosman and therefore being another option in the squad.  The other players you mentioned I agree with, maybe except Bridge as he may have taken too much out of the £15m transfer kitty, but the principle I agree with.  The defence should have been improved.

Sibierski - When you say Cole I assume you mean Carlton Cole. You may recall that Spurs were after him and the reports said he failed the medical due to a dodgy knee. He turned up for the medical seriously pissed, which by all accounts is not unusual. Kanu is talented without question but has never been prolific (except this season) so I would say no. That doesn't mean to say I can't understand why anyone would want to sign him, Kanoute falls into the same category. As for Chopra, totally agree. He was never given a serious chance at Newcastle, I would have kept him rather than get £500k. You really can't get much for £500k unless you're really lucky.

Pretty sure he meant Andy (sorry, Andrew) Cole...

He was never my choice. I knew that he lacked the tactical ability, was too lightweight when it came to signing players and was at the very best a mediocre unproven manager with a very dodgy track record. Albeit he seems a nice bloke but that never won anything. If the club persists with him we will be relegated as he has not got the nous to get us out of a tight situation and hasn't the balls to face a real dogfight. This has been one missed opportunity after another. Firstly the chance to get a real quality ,proven manager, secondly to sign Sol Campbell for nothing and an inability to spot potential in the players in the Championship. All in all a total f****ing mess

Agree totally - all this plus the fact that he was easily-manipulated by the Chairman..

I thought Dave Jones would have been a good choice, a realistic option compared to the Hitzfeld dreamers.

I recall when Souness hadn't yet been sacked and I scoffed at the idea of Roeder being appointed as a caretaker manager should Souness go (as most of us hoped), that's because Roeder struck me as a coach and that's it. Promoting a coach to the managers job rarely works.  I'd have to dig out the old posts to see who slagged me off for that one, but I guarantee they'll claim now they never rated him.  :winking:

Guest Magnetic North

I always thought it was a shit idea, but I was willing to give him a go. He's shown himself to be incapable.

Sweet Jesus lads, this is a tad harsh so early in the season IMO. Instead of launching a cavalcade of insults now, this particular knacker is gonna reserve judgement until the New Year.

I always thought it was a shit idea, but I was willing to give him a go. He's shown himself to be incapable.

Sweet Jesus lads, this is a tad harsh so early in the season IMO. Instead of launching a cavalcade of insults now, this particular knacker is gonna reserve judgement until the New Year.

Not really harsh imho.  Roder can only do a job for Newcastle if he has a squad of players to enable him to do that.  Whether it is Roeder's fault or FFS's, the fact remains that when the window slammed shut the defence and attack were shadows of what they should have been.  If it was GR's doing, shame on him.  If it was FFS, GR should have stood up to him and told him what he wanted.  If GR wasn't planning on using Luque, why not sell him or loan him out to get money in and/or some wages off the books? 

I see absolutely no benefit by waiting till the New Year, the next transfer window will be open and by the time a new manager is appointed, the window will be shut again.  If GR is to be replaced, do it in the next 2/3 weeks so the new manager can come in, evaluate the players he's got and then get the players he needs while the window is still open.

At the time of his appointment, there were better options than Roeder, but that doesn't mean that getting rid of him is the right step now. We have to face the issue that the main problem is the Chairman, and that no-one can succeed under his style of running the club. If we get rid of Roeder, some other poor sap will get put in his place, with the same results.

I don't think Roeder is the greatest, but he's not a total incompetent either. The idea that with different tactics or team selections we'd be doing much better is far-fetched.

The worry is that with all this pressure from the fans, Roeder's morale is going to suffer and it'll be difficult for him to motivate the team. Criticism can be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Let's give the guy a break and focus criticism on the Boardroom, where lies the chief responsibility for our decline over the last three years.

I was totally against it if we had the possibility of getting Hitzfeld or O'Neill.

As no one of any managerial calibre will work for the fat ginger t**t , it almost became a reluctant acceptance.

Once he was appointed it became obvious we were skint and the fat man was looking for a short term answer until he could grab his money and leave.

I hope Roeder does not do too much damage before he is replaced when our new owners take over.

I was speaking to the chief scout of a southern Premiership side the other day and I asked him about Martins.He said he was at the African cup of Nations scouting him ans so were Arsenal. Both scouts decided he was not good enough for the Prem. Apparently not one NUFC scout to be seen!

I was speaking to the chief scout of a southern Premiership side the other day and I asked him about Martins.He said he was at the African cup of Nations scouting him ans so were Arsenal. Both scouts decided he was not good enough for the Prem. Apparently not one NUFC scout to be seen!

The 2004 African cup of Nations?

Guest Magnetic North

At the time of his appointment, there were better options than Roeder, but that doesn't mean that getting rid of him is the right step now. We have to face the issue that the main problem is the Chairman, and that no-one can succeed under his style of running the club. If we get rid of Roeder, some other poor sap will get put in his place, with the same results.

I don't think Roeder is the greatest, but he's not a total incompetent either. The idea that with different tactics or team selections we'd be doing much better is far-fetched.

The worry is that with all this pressure from the fans, Roeder's morale is going to suffer and it'll be difficult for him to motivate the team. Criticism can be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Let's give the guy a break and focus criticism on the Boardroom, where lies the chief responsibility for our decline over the last three years.

Fair comment IMHO.

...but FFS did deliver Owen, and it's been bad luck and injuries sans frontières for the pocket maestro ever since.

Guest BlueWhiteMonkey

Fair comment IMHO.

...but FFS did deliver Owen, and it's been bad luck and injuries sans frontières for the pocket maestro ever since.

So what.

Signing Hollywood players is a poor strategy. We needed a team, not a financially crippling crock.

Sibierski - When you say Cole I assume you mean Carlton Cole.  You may recall that Spurs were after him and the reports said he failed the medical due to a dodgy knee.  He turned up for the medical seriously pissed, which by all accounts is not unusual.  Kanu is talented without question but has never been prolific (except this season) so I would say no.  That doesn't mean to say I can't understand why anyone would want to sign him, Kanoute falls into the same category.  As for Chopra, totally agree.  He was never given a serious chance at Newcastle, I would have kept him rather than get £500k.  You really can't get much for £500k unless you're really lucky.

Ex Newcastle player Andy Cole I mean.

Ex Newcastle player Andy Cole I mean.

He would have been a good signing although maybe the hierarchy might have thought it was a backward step (or a reminder of what a player you had missed out on).

One of the very few players who have gone through the scum academy who I have any time for.  In fact, in Cole's case, I can honestly say I respect him as a master of his craft.  Always has scored goals, always will.  Top man. :thup: