So who makes way for Owen?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can't believe I'm reading.  People really think Shola should start in place of Owen?

You're right, we're losing games, not scoring goals and need to change our starting lineup ASAP.

what is Kinnears stats really?

Everton 2-2

City 2-2

Shite 1-2

W. Brom 2-1

Villa 2-0

2 wins, 2 draws and one loss

9-7, terrific attacking and terrible defending :D

Like old days

We've won two games in a row. There is no need to change a winning team.

Terrific attacking?

Well, clearly scoring goals hasn't been the problem. We're creating chances and looking good going forward.

Shola is doing a particular job for the side, and Martins has been doing another. The fact that they are both labelled 'strikers' doesn't alter that. Now the job that Owen can do for us is similar to the one that Martins has been doing, so the person whose place should be seen as under threat is Martins.

As he scored twice and played reasonably well last time out, I don't think Martins should be dropped. Owen will get his chance soon enough, through injuries or loss of form or whatever.

What if Shola and Martins play really well as a partnership next game, maybe nick a goal each and win the game for us?

How long do we leave Owen on the bench, even if he gets back to fully fit?

What if Shola and Martins play really well as a partnership next game, maybe nick a goal each and win the game for us?

Owen is not so good that he can't be left out.

I think you will find his goal scoring record here would disagree with that.

Shola has been deteriorating horribly in second halves up until the Villa game. Owen is an absolutely fantastic person to have on the bench. Bringing Owen and Geremi on with twenty minutes to go could be absolutely massive for us. Every single time Geremi's come from the bench in these last two or three games, he's put a really good ball into the box from a deep position, only for Martins or Shola to be on the end of them. Owen can read Geremi like a book and they work very well together. Bringing em both on at the same time could be a cracking double whammy.

I think you will find his goal scoring record here would disagree with that.

No footballer warrants an immediate place back in the team, if those currently are winning us games as it is. In the same way that no player is undroppable.

Shola has been deteriorating horribly in second halves up until the Villa game. Owen is an absolutely fantastic person to have on the bench. Bringing Owen and Geremi on with twenty minutes to go could be absolutely massive for us. Every single time Geremi's come from the bench in these last two or three games, he's put a really good ball into the box from a deep position, only for Martins or Shola to be on the end of them. Owen can read Geremi like a book and they work very well together. Bringing em both on at the same time could be a cracking double whammy.

Kinnear wouldn't use the subs so wisely his changes have been dreadful.

I think the point in having a manager is to pick sides to win games not keep Owen happy. Anyway, I'm sure he'll be back in the side soon enough, what's the hurry?

Guest rebel_yell12

The great (comforting) thing is, the opinion of this board has no actual bearing on what will happen.  I don't think any manager will leave his captain on the bench.  Even Benitez at the peak of his "rotation" policy only rarely put Gerrard to the bench and then it was usually for rest/a niggly injury.  I've heard many complain about this same tendency of playing the captain when Terry was named England captain (again).  I'd also like to think that not even a second-choice NUFC manager would put his best player on the bench, winning side or not.

Why change a winning side, some ask.  I say, why persist with a poorer player when it's not necessary?  Why wait to drop points unnecessarily?  Why not field the strongest eleven the club has fit and available (especially being only 3 points from the bottom of the league)?  I'm struggling to imagine that the majority of posters on this thread honestly think Owen isn't one of the best eleven players at the club, if not the best outfield player.  If creativity, as some have claimed, is no longer a problem, do you all truly believe that Owen won't have anything to offer a club in 14th place (or at least, more than Ameobi)?  As a "super-sub" Owen might work, but Kinnear shows no tendency to use his subs thusly.  Which essentially means that those advocating no change are saying that Michael Owen shouldn't play for Newcastle United despite being captain, highest paid and best (arguably) player.  That's a pretty sad use of resources.  The kind of waste that gets managers fired, clubs relegated and fans even more p*ssed off.

The "contract" argument is plain stupid.  The club published a statement saying that negotiations on all contracts have been suspended pending the ownership issues being resolved.  How can Owen sign something that's not in front of him?  Benching a player that you may want to sell in January is rather like cutting off the nose to spite the face, isn't it?  Either way, it's a ridiculous argument to make.  The club didn't offer Owen a contract until the mess with Keegan was already underway and I seem to remember most people thinking Owen would be foolish to sign it at that point.  The club hasn't gotten any more stable, so this reeks of opportunistic criticism rather than any genuine point.

Now, if Owen is still coming back from injury, I could see a 2nd half arrival v. Fulham, but after that...

If we carry on winning with the same team then there's no reason for him to come back in. If we don't, then he'll rightly be brought back.

Changing it and losing would be a bigger mistake than staying the same and losing. After the WBA game, I'd have had him back but after the Villa performance, we have no reason to change. Play like that again and we'll murder Fulham.

I'm sorry but if Owen wants to play he can sign a f***ing contract.

Again, with Ashley doing nowt at the minute, where's this contract going to magically appear from? And why would he sign for any club where he's not sure who's going to be the owner and manager in 8 months time?

Guest The Libertine

owen is one of the best strikers in the league. he's our top scorer this season and is our best player. he's probably undroppable in 15 out of the 20 teams.

simple.

Kinnear likes a strong targetman type striker, I very much doubt he'll drop Shola for Owen.. and I reckon he'll be more likely to choose Owen than Martins regardless of his last few goals.

Saying that though, I doubt that Owen will start at Fulham either. I'd love it if that was the case and Oba really fought for his place.

For me, this is a big test of Kinnear's leadership, and will show whether he really has the bottle for the job. Shola has been a very important player for us over the last few games, and quite pivotal in the way the team plays. If he gets dropped for Owen, it'll be a rather craven cop-out, and I wouldn't mind betting that the team will see it like that as well. Kinnear has to be prepared to take responsibility and make the controversial but correct decision.

Guest Sniffer

That's a load of bollocks.

Ameobi is not and never will be a strong targetman. You don't leave a player like Owen out for a donkey like ameobi. I've yet to see you make any sense in the years you've been on this forum.

The great (comforting) thing is, the opinion of this board has no actual bearing on what will happen.  I don't think any manager will leave his captain on the bench.  Even Benitez at the peak of his "rotation" policy only rarely put Gerrard to the bench and then it was usually for rest/a niggly injury.  I've heard many complain about this same tendency of playing the captain when Terry was named England captain (again).  I'd also like to think that not even a second-choice NUFC manager would put his best player on the bench, winning side or not.

Why change a winning side, some ask.  I say, why persist with a poorer player when it's not necessary?  Why wait to drop points unnecessarily?  Why not field the strongest eleven the club has fit and available (especially being only 3 points from the bottom of the league)?  I'm struggling to imagine that the majority of posters on this thread honestly think Owen isn't one of the best eleven players at the club, if not the best outfield player.  If creativity, as some have claimed, is no longer a problem, do you all truly believe that Owen won't have anything to offer a club in 14th place (or at least, more than Ameobi)?  As a "super-sub" Owen might work, but Kinnear shows no tendency to use his subs thusly.  Which essentially means that those advocating no change are saying that Michael Owen shouldn't play for Newcastle United despite being captain, highest paid and best (arguably) player.  That's a pretty sad use of resources.  The kind of waste that gets managers fired, clubs relegated and fans even more p*ssed off.

The "contract" argument is plain stupid.  The club published a statement saying that negotiations on all contracts have been suspended pending the ownership issues being resolved.  How can Owen sign something that's not in front of him?  Benching a player that you may want to sell in January is rather like cutting off the nose to spite the face, isn't it?  Either way, it's a ridiculous argument to make.  The club didn't offer Owen a contract until the mess with Keegan was already underway and I seem to remember most people thinking Owen would be foolish to sign it at that point.  The club hasn't gotten any more stable, so this reeks of opportunistic criticism rather than any genuine point.

Now, if Owen is still coming back from injury, I could see a 2nd half arrival v. Fulham, but after that...

So what you are saying is basically go with reputation rather than form and results?