80% chance of keeping Michael Owen?

Dave

One of the worst things to happen to this club this season would be to actually not sort out Owen's contract if he is willing to talk, given the situation we are currently in.

I don't think there's anything we can do to make Owen sign a new contract other than offer him so much money he just can't turn it down. Even then I think he'll wait till the summer to see if anyone else comes in.

Some 'fans' of NUFC, many on here, don't deserve to have a player of Owen's calibre in their side - he is by far and away the best striker at the club and, when fit, one of the best in the Prem.

I personally hope he does leave, because he doesn't deserve the written ignorant scorn that regularly appears on various fans' websites about him ; it would do these people well to realise that NUFC would be playing Championship football NOW if Owen hadn't been at the club last season, and if he had been left out yesterday, the club would have lost a crucial game..

The Club's prem life hangs by a thread, and if he goes in Jan, those who have abused him through some stupid perceived view that he doesn't care, will get their just desserts because the club will go down in my view.

If I was O'Neill, I would sign him like a shot because he would probably help to guarantee CL football for Villa this season, and even City or Spurs would benefit from having him there.

There won't be any shortage of takers despite what some on here believe, and for those who say they would drop him in favour of Martins, just ask yourself if, given the choice, which player would MON, Hughes and Redknapp choose if BOTH were available ?

I look forward to some of the replies, because I know I am guaranteed a good laugh...!

Deserve a player of Owen's calibre? Piss off, he ain't some god. He's a footballer who's paid handsomely by the club and for the most part, has not been able repay us back. He's paid as much as players like Kaka and Messi are and what has he done for us to deserve it?

16m was and always will be too much for the player that Owen was, and sadly, the player that he hasn't been for us.

No good team will be taking him because his overall team play in 4-4-2 is almost inexistant and I don't think any successful team will be changing to a 4-3-3 to accommodate our little Mickey.

And to say that we would be playing Championship football without Owen is true, but also ignores the fact that he contributed fuck all until we changed to the 4-3-3. The goals he scored at the end only made up for the invisible act that he had been pulling all season so criticism would be equally justified in this case.

For 100k/week or whatever it is, we can do better.

The team comes first, and I think his reputation and stature is starting to harm us almost as much as his goals are helping.

It's almost reminiscent of Shearer's last couple of seasons at the club where his overall contribution had declined but being captain and with the reputation that he had, he was undroppable.

8 goals in 14 matches (4 of them on as a sub), I'm not complaining.

It's almost reminiscent of Shearer's last couple of seasons at the club where his overall contribution had declined but being captain and with the reputation that he had, he was undroppable.

That's understandable. I still feel that our team play suffers when he's on the pitch in a 4-4-2. When he scores it's awesome great, but when he doesn't, we play like we've got 10 men on the pitch.

That's understandable. I still feel that our team play suffers when he's on the pitch in a 4-4-2. When he scores it's awesome great, but when he doesn't, we play like we've got 10 men on the pitch.

You are one of the people I was referring to, and if you can't post without telling someone to 'piss off' then I suggest you don't post at all until you have something sensible to say - your comments about Owen could be directed to almost ANY player with ANY club in the Prem...are you saying that the likes of Robinho are overpaid..??

IFs & ANDs about 4-3-3, 4.4.2 etc are just smokescreens ; Owen kept the club up last year - LIVE WITH IT or try to dream up another excuse ..

As I said, I hope he goes, then you can have the pleasure of watching Championship football next season - it might open your eyes as to what class players really are.

You are one of the people I was referring to, and if you can't post without telling someone to 'piss off' then I suggest you don't post at all until you have something sensible to say - your comments about Owen could be directed to almost ANY player with ANY club in the Prem...are you saying that the likes of Robinho are overpaid..??

IFs & ANDs about 4-3-3, 4.4.2 etc are just smokescreens ; Owen kept the club up last year - LIVE WITH IT or try to dream up another excuse ..

As I said, I hope he goes, then you can have the pleasure of watching Championship football next season - it might open your eyes as to what class players really are.

I'd agree with Apisith here, in that this is an issue that can really hurt us, in the same way as happened when we kept Shearer as an automatic choice long after he should have been treated as a squad player.

Yes, Owen will score goals, but his entire game is based around stealing into goalscoring positions. He doesn't contribute much else, and if we're under the cosh and not creating much, then he disappears.

Martins, with his pace, can keep the opposition defending deep - something Owen can no longer do. There's also the possibility, with his physical presence, that he'll get you a goal out of nothing or create something for someone else on the break. In football terms, the fact that he's the one getting subbed when we're trying to hang on to a lead makes no sense.

I also think that Owen and Martins don't work as a combination because there's no-one to drop deep or hold the ball up. Re-visiting last season's 4-3-3 with Viduka or Shola is probably a better option if both Owen and Martin are to stay in the side.

It's just a matter of taking an objective look at what Owen is actually offering the side and how it compares with the other options. I mean, we've seen that we can score goals without him as well as with him.

I'd agree with Apisith here, in that this is an issue that can really hurt us, in the same way as happened when we kept Shearer as an automatic choice long after he should have been treated as a squad player.

Yes, Owen will score goals, but his entire game is based around stealing into goalscoring positions. He doesn't contribute much else, and if we're under the cosh and not creating much, then he disappears.

Martins, with his pace, can keep the opposition defending deep - something Owen can no longer do. There's also the possibility, with his physical presence, that he'll get you a goal out of nothing or create something for someone else on the break. In football terms, the fact that he's the one getting subbed when we're trying to hang on to a lead makes no sense.

I also think that Owen and Martins don't work as a combination because there's no-one to drop deep or hold the ball up. Re-visiting last season's 4-3-3 with Viduka or Shola is probably a better option if both Owen and Martin are to stay in the side.

It's just a matter of taking an objective look at what Owen is actually offering the side and how it compares with the other options. I mean, we've seen that we can score goals without him as well as with him.

I think you need a reminder that the object of the game is to put the ball into the opposition's net - Owen does that better than anyone else at NUFC..AND you don't get more than 50 caps for your country unless there is more to your game than sitting around in the penalty box.

As for your comments about Martins - he has pace but THAT is ALL - no awareness, erratic distribution, cannot hold the ball as well as Owen.

Do me a favour; Owen was a World Star at 19 - Martins is 23 and wouldn't even be a target purchase for other clubs ahead of Owen, now 29.....

As an argument against Owen, "he only scores goals" might hold some water if his goal ratio was 1 in 5, but when it's better than 1 in 2 it's a bit fucking stupid.

Depends on your football philosophy i.e.

1. do you play to win?

2. do you play not to lose?

If your philosophy is the first you will score more goals and most likely win more games as that is the objective of football to score more goals than your counterpart.

If you are cautious and play it safe you will get a draw at best or lose.

Mickey owen keeps us in the number 1 rather than the number two option.

Torres, Drogba, Van Nistelroy, Berbatof etc are all striker who offer little more than goals!!!

Torres, Drogba, Van Nistelroy, Berbatof etc are all striker who offer little more than goals!!!

I'm a big Owen fan but you can't defend him with that argument, all of those players (maybe except RvN) offer a lot to their teams other than goals.

Not that offering 'just goals' should be a bad thing.

Some 'fans' of NUFC, many on here, don't deserve to have a player of Owen's calibre in their side - he is by far and away the best striker at the club and, when fit, one of the best in the Prem.

I personally hope he does leave, because he doesn't deserve the written ignorant scorn that regularly appears on various fans' websites about him ; it would do these people well to realise that NUFC would be playing Championship football NOW if Owen hadn't been at the club last season, and if he had been left out yesterday, the club would have lost a crucial game..

The Club's prem life hangs by a thread, and if he goes in Jan, those who have abused him through some stupid perceived view that he doesn't care, will get their just desserts because the club will go down in my view.

If I was O'Neill, I would sign him like a shot because he would probably help to guarantee CL football for Villa this season, and even City or Spurs would benefit from having him there.

There won't be any shortage of takers despite what some on here believe, and for those who say they would drop him in favour of Martins, just ask yourself if, given the choice, which player would MON, Hughes and Redknapp choose if BOTH were available ?

I look forward to some of the replies, because I know I am guaranteed a good laugh...!

What do you want us to do...hang garlands round his neck at the airport as he gets into his helicopter on his way out of Newcastle? He doesn't want to be here, hasn't ever really wanted to stay...how is that the fault of the fans?

What do you want us to do...hang garlands round his neck at the airport as he gets into his helicopter on his way out of Newcastle? He doesn't want to be here, hasn't ever really wanted to stay...how is that the fault of the fans?

Big T, its always the fans fault.  It was us who forced FS to buy him in the first place. Remember.

He doesn't want to be here, hasn't ever really wanted to stay...how is that the fault of the fans?

People keep saying this, but I don't know where it comes from at all. Aye, obviosuly he'd probably rather be playing for Chelsea, but who wouldn't?

I suppose we'll find out. I don't think Liverpool or any of the other big 4 will come in for him, but if he gets that sort of move no one can hold it against him. It's more likely he'll end up somewhere else though, like Villa maybe. It won't be because he's not loved enough by the fans though, it will be because he thinks he can do better.

Depends on your football philosophy i.e.

1. do you play to win?

2. do you play not to lose?

If your philosophy is the first you will score more goals and most likely win more games as that is the objective of football to score more goals than your counterpart.

If you are cautious and play it safe you will get a draw at best or lose.

Mickey owen keeps us in the number 1 rather than the number two option.

Drogba offers little more than goals? fucking hell

funny he managed the most assists in the premiership 2 seasons running, honestly man

He doesn't want to be here, hasn't ever really wanted to stay...how is that the fault of the fans?

People keep saying this, but I don't know where it comes from at all. Aye, obviosuly he'd probably rather be playing for Chelsea, but who wouldn't?

I suppose we'll find out. I don't think Liverpool or any of the other big 4 will come in for him, but if he gets that sort of move no one can hold it against him. It's more likely he'll end up somewhere else though, like Villa maybe. It won't be because he's not loved enough by the fans though, it will be because he thinks he can do better.

Right now, I wouldn't blame him for leaving, wherever he went.

Guest rebel_yell12

Ironically, despite all the cr*p routinely posted online, from all evidence Owen seems to think the fans actually like him.  He's never had anything but praise for the Newcastle fans, and he's repeatedly mentioned that his unveiling was very emotional for him (and his family, who were there).  I think Owen would be more likely to stay for the fans than to leave because of the fans.  It may not be accurate, but Michael Owen seems to think the majority of Newcastle fans like him, rate him, and want him at the club.  I have my suspicions that he's not wrong, that those who dislike him are simply a very vocal minority primarily on some internet forums, but then I'm not "on the ground" in Newcastle so I could be wrong.  The bigger concern should be; does Owen think the club hierarchy like him, rate him, and want him at the club? 

Ironically, despite all the cr*p routinely posted online, from all evidence Owen seems to think the fans actually like him.  He's never had anything but praise for the Newcastle fans, and he's repeatedly mentioned that his unveiling was very emotional for him (and his family, who were there).  I think Owen would be more likely to stay for the fans than to leave because of the fans.  It may not be accurate, but Michael Owen seems to think the majority of Newcastle fans like him, rate him, and want him at the club.  I have my suspicions that he's not wrong, that those who dislike him are simply a very vocal minority primarily on some internet forums, but then I'm not "on the ground" in Newcastle so I could be wrong.  The bigger concern should be; does Owen think the club hierarchy like him, rate him, and want him at the club? 

When Owen which he willgoes , it'll be because he found better, successful and suitable club which he also will. I sincerely hope it'll be in the summer. He wants european football, ambition, trophies and more importantly England place which adds regular starting place and decent service and set up. And he'll take a wage cut for those. I don't think fans, the manager or the hierarchy of NUFC would be a factor to him now.

I think it'll be Villa.