80% chance of keeping Michael Owen?

Dave

rather he left. rate oba well above him anyway.

Best option would be him in an attacking midfield role under a new manager with Viduka replaced in the starting lineup and Butt's replacement able to both tackle and pass to a competent degree. Would be top 6 material easily.

If you look at what Owen earns compared to how many goals he's scored for us since coming back from his knee injury then he doesn't justify anywhere near what he earns, it's not all about goals for a striker but it's what Owen should be judged on because if he isn't scoring then he's offering us nothing and it's like playing with 10 men at times.

Since coming back from injury he's played 43 league games and managed 15 goals, 3 of those were from the penalty spot.

Is he offering enough to justify the £100,000+ per week wages he's going to be looking for on a new contract?

Probably not, but unfortunately that's not simply how a player's "worth" is calculated.

He's the most well-known name in our squad which adds pennies straight away, all the people that matter (managers and team-mates) are bigging him up at every turn which will again strengthen his position, he's now the club captain which does the same and I'd be willing to bet he's still the biggest (or round abouts) seller of merchandise at the club, too, and the most valuable from an advertising perspective, easily.

It could probably be argued that he is worth it overall, but of course he's not if you're simply talking performance-related pay.

ADD: Who is though, these days, in our squad?

I'm still not convinced he's going to have too many options which he would consider worthwhile in any case. He won't get a look in at the top 4, Man City can buy bigger and better...that leaves Villa or possibly Everton. I don't think he will fit in with Villa's style, and I can't see Everton breaking their wage structure for a player like Owen.

If Owen wants to leave just get in Kevin Doyle as a replacement if we want a similar sort.

Doyle is too good for the championship. Very good striker who would actually be a better fit than Owen.

If Owen wants to leave just get in Kevin Doyle as a replacement if we want a similar sort.

Doyle is too good for the championship. Very good striker who would actually be a better fit than Owen.

That's the worst thing I've heard since HTT told me Ashton was better than Torres.

That's the worst thing I've heard since HTT told me Ashton was better than Torres.

:lol:

Ashton better than Torres?! What?!

Anyway, back to what I said. Doyle would be a good, affordable alternative who is better on the ball and running at people, which we could do with. He's also a decent finisher.

Guest justin99.

If you look at what Owen earns compared to how many goals he's scored for us since coming back from his knee injury then he doesn't justify anywhere near what he earns, it's not all about goals for a striker but it's what Owen should be judged on because if he isn't scoring then he's offering us nothing and it's like playing with 10 men at times.

Since coming back from injury he's played 43 league games and managed 15 goals, 3 of those were from the penalty spot.

Is he offering enough to justify the £100,000+ per week wages he's going to be looking for on a new contract?

Owen is Newcastle's equivalent to ronaldo for man u, gerrard for liverpool etc.

He is the key person for all marketing campaigns and would be the second best well-known newcastle player world-wide after shearer.

he is worth well over 100k p/w in wages easily.

Guest neesy111

he's a crock, stupid little injury takes him out for a month while with most other players it would only last 2 games

It's been a fair amount of time since Owen's missed a month through a little injury.

he was out for the man city, mackems, west brom and villa games

he's a crock, stupid little injury takes him out for a month while with most other players it would only last 2 games

It's been a fair amount of time since Owen's missed a month through a little injury.

We got 7 pts from those four games and if you include the Wigan game where Owen didn't start, we scored 8 goals in 5. Since he's come back into the starting line up we've failed to score in both games. It reminds me of last season how we struggled to get goals when Owen played up front. He was a lot more effective when he played in a withdrawn role with Viduka and Martins up top.

We got 7 pts from those four games and if you include the Wigan game where Owen didn't start, we scored 8 goals in 5. Since he's come back into the starting line up we've failed to score in both games. It reminds me of last season how we struggled to get goals when Owen played up front. He was a lot more effective when he played in a withdrawn role with Viduka and Martins up top.

I agree. It's the second time I thinky ou've mentioned this but you've been ignored.

We have had no problems scoring goals without Owen and he really isn't ass key to our team as many on here make out.

Dispensable.

Harsh considering those two games were Chelsea away where he barely got a touch and was practically centre-midfield, and Boro away.

Harsh considering those two games were Chelsea away where he barely got a touch and was practically centre-midfield, and Boro away.

Usually in away matches there is a lot more space for strikers to work on the break. If Owen was playing midfield it's just confirmation that he's no longer considered a threat up front in away matches due to his lack of pace.