Derek Llambeezy

Willow

Didn't Moussa waive his signing on fee for us to get the deal done? If so surely that would balance out the transfer fee we paid for him. So, one would expect the siginificant expense will be paying him from January instead of July.

Think it was the 'loyalty fee' he waived from Toulouse.

Ah, ok. Cheers.

I'm guessing Nike will have an opening for sponsorship now that they lost Arsenal.

Just surmising.

Can't see Puma offering mental money as per Nike/Adidas/Warrior 

Apparently we are Puma's biggest customer from what I've read somewhere.  We still domestically in the top 4 in the UK for selling kits, plenty of potential to make more money.

We probably are one of Puma's biggest, however the money earned from them pales in comparison compared to other shirt deals. Puma aren't exactly coining it in the UK market either. 

We do sell a shedload of shirts, but would require someone like Nike to boost us in a more global market.

Guest Roger Kint

Didn't Moussa waive his signing on fee for us to get the deal done? If so surely that would balance out the transfer fee we paid for him. So, one would expect the siginificant expense will be paying him from January instead of July.

Think it was the 'loyalty fee' he waived from Toulouse.

Ah, ok. Cheers.

Effectively the same thing mind, we had to pay Bartons so would have likely had to do the same this time if he didnt waive it.

I'm guessing Nike will have an opening for sponsorship now that they lost Arsenal.

Just surmising.

Apparently we are Puma's biggest customer from what I've read somewhere.  We still domestically in the top 4 in the UK for selling kits, plenty of potential to make more money.

We probably are one of Puma's biggest, however the money earned from them pales in comparison compared to other shirt deals. Puma aren't exactly coining it in the UK market either. 

We do sell a shedload of shirts, but would require someone like Nike to boost us in a more global market.

would we really sell significantly more tops worldwide if they were nike as opposed to puma ?

(is the "worldwide" redundant in that sentence ?)

Just surmising.

would we really sell significantly more tops worldwide if they were nike as opposed to puma ?

I'm no economist or anything as such, but Nike as a brand is more desirable than Puma.  Plus they seem to pile more money into marketing (adverts) etc.

Just surmising.

Guess it would depend on how many self brand stores we are stocked in and others we are distributed too. You'd like Fat Mike would be knowledgable enough for this though...

Even though it's all about global coin these days I'm quite happy we're not quite at that level, I find it all a bit cringey.

Guest neesy111

You'd think Fat Mike is looking to get into the Far East, apparently he has some stores already but massive potential for him there.

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder 4m

#nufc will announce one of the biggest commercial deals in club history before the season is out.

Seen this anyone?Scared/Happy? hahaha

Part of the Lambias interview a couple of pages back - "...and the “best commercial deal” in the club’s history with new shirt sponsor Wonga."

Reckon it'll just be the release of the details of this deal once Virgin are out the way.

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder 4m

#nufc will announce one of the biggest commercial deals in club history before the season is out.

Part of the Lambias interview a couple of pages back - "...and the “best commercial deal” in the club’s history with new shirt sponsor Wonga."

Reckon it'll just be the release of the details of this deal once Virgin are out the way.

Nah he said it was on top of the Wonga deal

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder 4m

Ry-Ry says "one of" so it might be different.

Newcastle United’s accounts made for pleasant reading. Chief sports writer Mark Douglas hears from Derek Llambias about why the future is bright – because the accounts are boring.

THIS is a boring story. That is the intro that Derek Llambias wanted to this tale of prudence and sound financial husbandry and, casting a look over the Newcastle United financials for the year just passed, that is exactly what he’s managed to produce.

No more crazy, off-the-cuff decisions, no more supporter uproar. Mike Ashley might never be adored by United fans, but it is difficult to argue that his model hasn’t visited stability on St James’ Park – along with a squad that Llambias says has some “big, big names in it”.

So first the black-and-white bottom line: United turned a £1.4m profit from a year where they didn’t make any eye-watering sales – and have even begun to chip away at one of the debts they owe to Mike Ashley.

All of this was achieved alongside a summer recruitment programme that imported Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba and company – and without adding a triple windfall for the club: the Wonga deal, the TV bonanza and another soon-to-be announced commercial deal.

And to labour the point, next year’s accounts are already pleasing their auditors.

“I’m very pleased with these accounts. They’re boring,” dead-panned Llambias.

“And we’ve just met our auditors for our half-year accounts and they’re delighted. They told us that if you took away the football side of it, any business would be delighted with our accounts. That’s without the sale of Andy Carroll and also the spend. It shows we’re improving in all areas.”

Produce a set of accounts where the ink is mostly black and supporters nod their heads in approval.

But that is soon forgotten if the football on offer is neither entertaining nor successful. Llambias says the club are pushing closer to their triple objective: producing a winning, flair team at affordable prices.

Fifth place last year hinted at the first thing; an increase in attendances (but with reduced revenue) suggests they are starting to do the latter, too.

“The model works. Not only is it viable as a business model, it’s also viable as a business on the field,” Llambias said.

“The quality of the players on the field and the numbers: that is the model. It’s not just one aspect of the business that is working at the moment, it’s all aspects.

“It’s a difficult balance when you consider that last summer we bought one player in because we thought we had enough coming through. But we kept our squad.

“Last summer was basically about keeping our squad. We weren’t joking when we said that if anyone made a call about anyone, we asked for £25m. That’s anyone. Sooner or later, people will go away. That’s how we kept our squad together.”

It is not all sweetness and light, however. United are still not safe yet – although Llambias is not unduly worried by the threat of relegation – and there has been an acceptance up high that the season has been pot-holed with mistakes.

Llambias said: “You reflect on it: injuries, not enough depth, plus the Europa League – it became a disaster. But then we did great business in January, staying within our model. So I think we were a net £31m spend in January, which is, quite honestly, an achievement for the quality we bought.

“That’s this year. In last year’s accounts, we’re still very pleased with the way we’ve run our club. We’re trying to bring in affordable football and stability and entertaining football. I think that combination is getting there.”

A familiar theme of Ashley’s time has been attempts to push Newcastle as a global brand.

It is the one area where United have failed to gain much traction, but Llambias thinks success is the only remedy to that.

“We’re very happy with the two commercial deals we’ve done now, which are the biggest the club has had ever. But it’s all about going global – I think I have said before the brand needs to be global rather than national. Manchester United have got 350million global supporters, we’ve got 3.5million. It’s a big difference.

“You still see guys all over the world wearing Newcastle United shirts, but they’re 10 years old or whatever.

“I think it’s a question of success. Success creates its own success – you go forward with it and you’re adopted more. It’s about being adopted in certain areas. It’s history.

“We have got a history of being a big club and being everyone’s second club, but once you’re a team that’s entertaining and has a chance of winning something, you’ll build it.

“It can’t be done overnight and it will take years. I’m not saying it will... It could be anything. The league could change, you never know. Positions change. At the moment it seems to be pretty predictable, but in years to come it may not be the case.”

Money is there in the summer, and will be spent quickly and with stealth. But Llambias accepts it is getting more difficult with every window where they pull off coups.

He said: “We’re working well. Graham (Carr, chief scout) is getting more and more company overseas now. He’s in L’Equipe every week!

“As I say, the market is not just France. It’s difficult now for us because we’re not surprising anyone, but we haven’t changed the way we behave or the way we trade.

“The French tried in January (to exploit us) but very quickly realised we weren’t budging. There’s that desperation there in January – they created that desperation that is endorsed by the clubs in the last few days of the window, when everyone goes potty.

“We don’t. I think that’s a major factor. We will continue in the pool that we do well in.”

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/03/28/derek-llambias-aiming-to-make-nufc-finances-as-boring-as-possible-61634-33074717/#ixzz2OpVlZH00

NEWCASTLE United intend to invest again in the summer transfer market, after unveiling another encouraging set of financial figures.

United turned over a £1.4million profit for the 2011/12 financial year – significantly down on the previous year’s figure of £32.6million, but without the sale of Andy Carroll to boost the figures.

Indeed, they managed to record the profit while investing in players, something that they intend to do again this summer without allowing their marquee names to go.

Derek Llambias confirmed that a summer ploy of quoting a flat fee of £25million had helped them ward off interest in Yohan Cabaye and company, and while he admitted “mistakes” in recruitment he declared himself happy with the “boring” accounts.

The club are also back in the world’s top 20 revenue generators too, having increased turnover to £93.3million. Looking forward, with a major commercial deal to be announced in the next month and the bumper TV deal in the summer, it will give them the opportunity to buy again.

He said: “The TV money will have a big effect. The whole thing now with financial fair play and breaking even: every club should be able to do it next year. There are rules being brought in, short-term cost regulations.

“Going forward next year we’ll have a pot to spend which is not an issue. The issue is picking the players as you can imagine. That’s already in hand. Financially everyone in the Premier League should be able to break even.”

United have done more than that this year and Llambias is understandably satisfied with the work done over the financial year, which ended in June 2012.

“Overall, we’re pleased. We’re very pleased. I think these accounts are boring, which is a really good thing. We’re not coming in here to say we’re in debt or whatever,” he said.

“This proves that we’re sticking to the working model we said we would do – and that it’s working. Our commercial revenues will kick in next year when Wonga comes on board.

“We’ve got one more commercial deal that we’re very happy with. That will be reflected in our accounts next year and people will be surprised and happy with what we’ve done there.

“We’ll announce that before the end of the season. They are the biggest deals the

club has ever had – they’re nowhere near in comparison to the big boys. But we’ve punched way above our weight.”

United also re-imbursed owner Mike Ashley £11million of a cash advance he supplied to the club during the relegation season to bolster the squad and restructure.

His interest-free loan to the club remains untouched – he does not want it to be paid back – but the accounts emphasise that their desire to make the club self-sustainable is moving closer to reality.

“Mike isn’t having to put money in either,” he said. “We had to have a clean piece of paper at first, and there were huge amounts of securitised loan. That was £105million, which had to be cleared. When we were relegated, we out to borrow £28million to get us back into the Premier League and to reshape ourselves and push forward.

“When we out in the market place the fees were horrendous - 10 to 15%. So Mike said he would advance it to us and you pay me back when the club can afford it, which we’ve done.

“In these accounts, you’ll see there’s £11million paid back to Mike. But we saved £4million in fees which we would have had to pay to someone who would make a lot of money securitising our season-ticket money.”

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/03/28/profitable-newcastle-united-prepared-to-invest-61634-33074716/#ixzz2OpVqwvc7

“We’ve got one more commercial deal that we’re very happy with. That will be reflected in our accounts next year and people will be surprised and happy with what we’ve done there.

“We’ll announce that before the end of the season. They are the biggest deals the

club has ever had – they’re nowhere near in comparison to the big boys. But we’ve punched way above our weight.”

Hmmm, so not massive amounts but positive stuff. "Surprised and happy" though? Can guarantee that won't be a universal feeling. :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

He mentions US & Asia in a few articles so maybe a commercial deal which incorporates an overseas tour in the summer?

Guest Roger Kint

Possibly going to organise a pre-season tournament and call it the Sports Direct Cup or something?

:lol:

Possibly going to organise a pre-season tournament and call it the Sports Direct Cup or something?

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/15181i124C635478D47BA1/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/15181i124C635478D47BA1/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

That's a fine cup. You can easily get 3 mugs worth of tea in there. :lol:

You'd think Fat Mike is looking to get into the Far East, apparently he has some stores already but massive potential for him there.

there was something that may or may not have been a sports direct type place in my town in korea, wasn't exactly the same but was very similar and was red & blue branded

shut down now mind :lol:

He mentions US & Asia in a few articles so maybe a commercial deal which incorporates an overseas tour in the summer?

Touring the US in the pre-season according to Llambias.

Touring the US in the pre-season according to Llambias.

More US radio commentary  :megusta: