Mido chants to be investigated by the FA

Guest nufc_kev

I can't understand why anybody would want to defend the chanting or those who chanted it.

It was offensive, not only to Mido but others; it was short-lived, lasted about 30/45 seconds and that's because it had nothing to recommend it. Not funny at all.

Who?

Tuncay? Beye? Richard Reid?

*ballz, Greg quicker on the draw!!*

EUFA, the FA, the Police, the media, NUFC (vide the statement) and me. And those above too, possibly. Even this is not an exhaustive list.

Are you related to Mido? Or are you his mate?

I can't understand why anybody would want to defend the chanting or those who chanted it.

It was offensive, not only to Mido but others; it was short-lived, lasted about 30/45 seconds and that's because it had nothing to recommend it. Not funny at all.

From what I can see two people have been arrested for Racism, I can't see how the chants can be seen as Racism and I'll defend them against that.  If they were being arrested for calling him a peado then I'd say that was fair enough but not Racism.

From what I can see two people have been arrested for Racism, I can't see how the chants can be seen as Racism and I'll defend them against that.  If they were being arrested for calling him a peado then I'd say that was fair enough but not Racism.

Why?

Who?

Tuncay? Beye? Richard Reid?

*ballz, Greg quicker on the draw!!*

EUFA, the FA, the Police, the media, NUFC (vide the statement) and me. And those above too, possibly. Even this is not an exhaustive list.

Eufa, the FA, and NUFC are all, and should be, anti-racist.

If someone says they've been the subject of racist abuse on or in a ground then they are duty bound to act and investigate - which usually starts with a reiteration of their standing on racism. This would be 'before' the investigation, if there is indeed one by all three, begins to actually look into what actually happened.

Same noises were made last year, and despite the outrage shown by those with an agenda (supporters of other clubs, journo's etc) nothing was found against the fans or club.

I just can't bellieve that no-one picked up on our past racist bile hurled at Jimmy Floyd, after all 'Just a fat Eddie Murphy' was obviously thrown his way because he is black and so is Eddie Murphy.

On a more serious note, regardless of the nature of the chanting it is close to the bone for a lot of people and its no surprise that some quarters have lumped it as being racist, I'd wager that (giving the benefit of doubt to the songs creator) the original target was his likeness to RR, but a number of fans were chanting it thinking that it was aimed at him being an 'arab' (that seems to be the term banded about by borderline racists for anyone not from Britain these days).

Unfortunately we can't do anything about these individuals unless you can identify them all indivudally. Until then maybe the song should be shelved for the greater good?

After the fuss made last year I'd be amazed if anyone was unaware that it get dredged up again if the bomb chants were repeated. That's why I don't accept it was innocent banter, at best it was downright stupid everything considered, which is why I don't see the need to bend over backwards defending such daft actions.

Have a long hard look at the people who caused the 'fuss'.

Wwheeessss keeeeeyyyyyssss Louise from the guardian?

Correct both times.

Certain people with agendas as well as the usually 'outraged about something, life isn't fair' smoggies.

Nothing happened then, nothing will happen now, because people know that it is a storm in a teacup. Even Southgate has said as much.

Even if that's the case, the fact is it has been reported broadly by the press and not just one agenda driven journalist. Wether anything comes of it or not, it hardly reflects well on us as a club to be associated with this stuff two seasons running. That's the reason I can't understand all this defensive excuse making for a few plebs who should know better.

Give over Tron. In a few days it'll become yesterdays news. Give in to them and you're giving in to the plebs like Taylor and the PC brainwashed morons.

Its terrace chanting and its designed to piss them off, its always happened and always will. The smoggies used to sing at Mick Quinn "you're just a fat Geordie Bastard", even though he's a scouser. Was he bothered ? Don't be daft.

Back then football wasn't a global game. I'm sure if we were a small townclub like Sunderland I wouldn't have any concern about the image we send out as no one south of Chester le Street would be watching. We are though, as you would say, an ambitious club with a bigger following worldwide. That's why this crap being in the spotlight for the second year running is pissing me off.

Why are people STILL talking about it being racist?

IT'S NOT RACIST.

Why are people embarrassed about some mutants jumping up and down about it?

It wasn't about his religion, not sure why he's brought that up, unless he's points scoring.

As someone has already said, he learly doesn't take his religion seriously.

As for putting off arab buyers  :spit:

Why?

Saying that he was a peado would be slander and unlawful, saying he looks like somebody isn't against the law, yet.

Then hundreds of thousands of people at various football grounds around the country should be arrested every weekend.

Then hundreds of thousands of people at various football grounds around the country should be arrested every weekend.

I'm not saying that they should be arrested, what I'm saying is that if somebody is arrested for breaking the law then as far as I'm concerned it's acceptable.  In this case I don't see what law has been broken, to call it Racism is pathetic and beyond extreme.

Why?

Saying that he was a peado would be slander and unlawful, saying he looks like somebody isn't against the law, yet.

The chant does not say he looks like someone.

Or am I wrong? Let's look at it:

"Mido he's got a bomb you know"

Nope. Nothing at all about Mido resembling some other person.

OK, I don't see any Racism in that.

It's interpreted, quite understandably, as the negative stereotype which says muslims = terrorists.

Racism is the wrong word because Islam isn't a "race", but it's the same kind of bigotry: taking a negative characteristic from one or some and applying it to all members of a human category.

"All them blacks/Jews/Muslims is lazy/miserly/terrorists."

It's interpreted, quite understandably, as the negative stereotype which says muslims = terrorists.

Racism is the wrong word because Islam isn't a "race", but it's the same kind of bigotry: taking a negative characteristic from one or some and applying it to all members of a human category.

Why weren't the Newcastle fans singing it at Tuncay?

cos he didn;t bite last season ?

I guess that they could claim Incitement to Religious Hatred but I doubt that could be proven when looking at the chant.

Yeah, great excuse. "It can't be prejudice because it was only directed at one guy."

Yeah, great excuse. "It can't be prejudice because it was only directed at one guy."

And why do you think it was directed at one guy, and one guy only.

Could it possibly be the fact that (pre-haircut) he had a passing resemblence to a Mr Richard Reid, something that had already been picked up by other football club supporters and the press?

I guess that they could claim Incitement to Religious Hatred but I doubt that could be proven when looking at the chant.

I'm afraid I'm not well-versed in the legalities, but I'm sure it doesn't just have to be about "race" to count as hate speech. Jews aren't a "race" but that doesn't mean that prejudice against them doesn't exist or doesn't matter.