N-O Football Match - Red v Blue @ 10:30 on 18/05/19 @ Dunston Powerleague

Dr Venkman

From what I can remember, player names, usernames, positions and my opinion:

Blue

GK - Nick [NSG]; certainly made a difference by being a dedicated goalkeeper, something the red team sorely lacked, came off his line reasonably well but put himself at risk of injury on a couple of occasions by not going 100% into a challenge/collision. Distribution was usually good, didn't fight the wind and kept throws and kicks short. Made two or three excellent saves, recall one in the first  when the reds really should have scored (4 v 2).

RB - Greg [Greg]; linked up well on the right hand side in the first half, was usually an outlet for the midfield and defence before sacrificing his defensive duties for a more attacking role towards the end of the match (or maybe he just couldn't be bothered running back by then..!)

CB - Rich [Rich]; the Baresi of the blue side, sat back and let the ball come to him, marshalled the defensive line expertly, particularly as our 10 players decided to sacrifice a genuine left-back in order to play two up front. Kept possession well and always seemed comfortable on the ball, eventually went forward on a couple of runs in the second half and had a couple of half chances.

CB/LB - Lee [CP40]; munch, munch, munch. Well, if Pilko had actually gone anywhere near him, that's probably the sound we would have heard. As it was, Lee was given enough space at the back to get a feel for the ball early on and settle into the game, linking up well with Rich and the keeper in the first half to keep possession. Couple of useful tackles when the game was tied before extending the blue side's lead with a terrific goal [short throw in, one-two, looked up from outside the left hand corner of the box and sent a shot arrowing into the top right hand corner]

RM - Dave [t'Dave]; a lot better than I thought he would be, anyone who spends that much time on an internet forum must surely be horrendous at football; however, it turns out that Dave can actually run, pass and (almost) tackle - so there's hope for all of you reading this. Was more of a grafter than a game-winner, but covered for Greg in the second half and was always willing to follow instructions from the midfield. His best chance of the game came in the second half, but he was denied a clear shot on goal by a brilliant recovery tackle (think Jonas on Saturday).

CM - Liam [Rich's mate, Napoli shirt]; had a touch of class, evident in the way that he brought the ball under control and sprayed the ball around the park, also had a great change of pace. Always looked a threat whenever on the ball, but wasn't a fan of tracking back, although he did spell Rich and CP40 for a period in the second half while his midfield partner went on the offensive.

CM - Stu [stupeedo, the one with "Stupeedo" on his shirt...]; possibly the fittest person on the pitch, possibly not. Judging by some of the reactions on here, it's a wonder how Enrique doesn't get more MotM nominations, at times Stu's passing had shades of our Spanish friend - great one minute, woeful the next. It was a poor Stupeedo pass that gave the ball away for the red team to equalise in the first half, he was also involved in the RED team's second (although they were receiving the ref's sympathy at 4-1 down). A couple of crunching tackles set the tone for the midfield 'battle' and it seemed as though the red team's midfielders went into hiding during the first half, allowing Stu and Liam to control the tempo.

First goal was outrageous, second goal was literally the icing on the cake (the ref stopped the fight immediately) - could have had a hat-trick if he hadn't spent 10minutes of the first half waiting for the wind to die down in order to put his lens back in..! Had a defensively-minded first half before adding a touch of creativity in the second.

LW - Alex [Rich's mate] - scored a hattrick of very well taken goals, was through on goal numerous times in the first half but chose to shoot wildly from a tight angle instead of picking out one of his free teammates. Tracked back well and helped out CP40 down the left-side. Always seemed comfortable in receiving the ball and playing short passes, good crosser.

FW - Jamie [KingKev] - opened the scoring with a well-finished effort, although he'll be the first to admit that he should have had a couple already by this point. Wasn't sure if his strike partner made him look better or worse, but playing with "the white Shola" can do that to a player. Worked well in the second half chasing down the opposition and getting into dangerous positions down the right channel. Could have had at least another goal, but otherwise an all round good performance bearing in mind how quiet and (at times) afraid of the ball he was!

FW – Wullie [Wullie] – had so many chances to prove his critics wrong but in the end he’ll be resorting to headlines in the Chronicle like “I WULL score next time”, “Wull-ie take his next chance?”, etc. Put in a decent shift up front, managed to gel reasonably well with his new partner in crime KingKev and earned the respect of his opponents by stopping (when clean through on goal) after Optymistic Nut’s hamstring fell apart. Despite the criticism, he had a couple of assists and tended to hold the ball up well, he also put in a brilliant left footed cross after some trickery down the flank – quite simply, the white Ameobi.

Red Team:

GK - none specific until ON injured himself; the lack of a proven or consistent goalkeeper hindered the red side, as their players were constantly swapping in and out of net which disrupted what little fluency they managed to build up. Saying that, the best of the keepers was probably ON, despite only having 1 leg, made several good saves and somehow stopped three 1-1 chances without having to move (jelly-legs technique?)

RB – ? [Northern Gimp]; played ok first half, dont know what they were thinking about putting him in goal, moved forward in the second half, and played a lot better, turned cp40 over a couple of times, looked like he was feeling the extra pounds by the finish [cp40's thoughts]. Two things immediately half spring to mind 1) the simply awful corner that sailed over the bar in the first half, 2) the referee waving play on after the Gimp handled a throw-in, lost possession and then dived in on the floor and caught the ball, before dropping it, in an attempt to win it back  would have a been a good tackle if your hands and feet were swapped over! [stupeedo's thoughts]

CB - ?

CB – Jack [Dr Venkman]; seemed to be playing in defence for most of the game and trying to get his side going, unfortunately for him, the lack of an organised keeper meant that he spent most of his time between the 6 yard and 18 yard line, somewhat reducing his influence on proceedings. As the game went on, he put in a couple of good challenges (think he stopped Dave and myself [twice] from getting clear shots on goal inside the box. Seemed confident in passing the ball around with Lien and Marky555

LB/RB – [TheProphet] – wins the award for most committed tackler, put in some excellent last ditch tackles and also got up the other end to score a goal. Also gets credit for going over to the red team at the start of the game (he was due to be LB for the Blues) when no-one else wanted to...

RW - ?

CM – Stu? – the lad with the beanie hat on was the heartbeat of the red side and pretty much dragged them back into the game singlehandedly once the Blues had re-established their 3 goal supremacy for the first and second time. Always hard to shake off the ball and putting himself about to disrupt Stupeedo and Liam, particularly in the second half. Seemed to drop too deep in the first half, which allowed the Blues to dominate the middle, but that seemed symptomatic of the entire Red Team – dodgy tactics perhaps?

DM – Neil [lien] – unkempt and unfussy, Lien had the best passing range on the red side, sprayed the ball around excellently in both halves but particularly the first. Seemed to drop deeper in the second half and became less effective, but linked up brilliantly at times with his team-mates – particularly ‘Stu’ and Dave [Marky555]

LW – Dave [Marky555] – worked well with his beanie-cladded teammate to bring his team back from the dead on more than one occasion. Had a good burst of pace and wasn’t afraid to run at (and past) defenders. Had a memorable run down the left in the second half, just getting away from Stupeedo long enough to whip in a superb left-footed cross which arced over the keeper and onto the foot of the on-rushing...

ST – Nixon [Nixon]; ...who ballsed by hitting the side netting with the goal at his mercy. Aside from that horrendous miss, Nixon got more involved when he moved further forward, probably in response to ‘target man’ Pilko dropping so deep. Provided a good outlet for the hard-working red midfield, who sometimes threatened to create an actual chance for his team-mates. Think he had an assist, but no-one really remembers...

ST – Pilko [Pilko]; wins the award for the biggest disappointment on the night. Maybe it was the wind, maybe it was the cold, perhaps it was the lack of quality in his team; however, most agree that for all Pilko’s pre-match bluster and chat about how he was going to dominate the Blue defence, it seems he took one look at CP40 and decided to stay the hell away from him!! Spent most of the first half trying to hide behind Stupeedo whenever the red team had possession, but in fairness to him, he did do something in the second half. A well-taken, but clearly off-side, goal when he rounded the keeper at 4-1, before setting up TheProphet to make it 5-3. Could have done a lot better in the air, don’t think I saw him head the ball.

Those who I’ve not put down, let me know who they are...if I’ve got your names wrong, say so!

Good afternoon chaps,

Cracking game of football last night, really enjoyed it. You all seemed like good lads and thankfully the right team won.  ;)

Cheers for a few nice comments i've read about my performance. Obviously the standout player for the night was Stupeedo, but O Nut was superb imo to carry on wth a bad injury. :thup:

And despite all our 'online feuds' in the past, all the mods I met last night seemed really canny lads :)

Hopefully another game will be organised soon :)

Nick,

The Blue Team Keeper (NSG to the majority of you)

[/fully expects to be re-banned]  ;)

Haha ill agree with my report apart from being afraid of the ball.  :lol: I was quiet because i didn't know anyone, but next time it'll be different  :thup:

edit: also im not a striker, first time ive ever player there! didnt have a clue with positioning so i followed dave sometimes  :lol:

Also:

Blue GK - made two or three excellent saves, recall one in the first  when the reds really should have scored (4 v 2).

NorthernGimp - two things immediately half spring to mind 1) the simply awful corner that sailed over the bar in the first half, 2) the referee waving play on after the Gimp handled a throw-in, lost possession and then dived in on the floor and caught the ball, before dropping it, in an attempt to win it back :lol: would have a been a good tackle if your hands and feet were swapped over!

Blue

GK - Kev [NUFC_Kev? NSG?]; certainly made a difference by being a dedicated goalkeeper, something the red team sorely lacked, came off his line reasonably well but put himself at risk of injury on a couple of occasions by not going 100% into a challenge/collision. Distribution was usually good, didn't fight the wind and kept throws and kicks short.

Cheers mate, believe it or not it was my first game of 11 a side for about ten years, so I found it a bit tricky to judge coming off my line, but I dont think I did too bad. The reason I didnt go 100% into the challenges was because I thought I had it covered, only to realise im not as quick as I think I am :lol:

Good afternoon chaps,

Cracking game of football last night, really enjoyed it. You all seemed like good lads and thankfully the right team won.  ;)

Cheers for a few nice comments i've read about my performance. Obviously the standout player for the night was Stupeedo, but O Nut was superb imo to carry on wth a bad injury. :thup:

And despite all our 'online feuds' in the past, all the mods I met last night seemed really canny lads :)

Hopefully another game will be organised soon :)

Nick,

The Blue Team Keeper (NSG to the majority of you)

[/fully expects to be re-banned]  ;)

nee way!!! come back mate  :weep:

Blue

GK - Kev [NUFC_Kev? NSG?]; certainly made a difference by being a dedicated goalkeeper, something the red team sorely lacked, came off his line reasonably well but put himself at risk of injury on a couple of occasions by not going 100% into a challenge/collision. Distribution was usually good, didn't fight the wind and kept throws and kicks short.

Cheers mate, believe it or not it was my first game of 11 a side for about ten years, so I found it a bit tricky to judge coming off my line, but I dont think I did too bad. The reason I didnt go 100% into the challenges was because I thought I had it covered, only to realise im not as quick as I think I am :lol:

No worries, you did have a good game - just for future matches you either go all or nothing...or you'll end up hurt

Meh, it's a hassle approving accounts. It takes at least three clicks.

My dynamic codename of B(lue)T(eam)K(eeper) must have baffled you ;)

Blue

No worries, you did have a good game - just for future matches you either go all or nothing...or you'll end up hurt

my brain was working far faster than my legs, i could see things i just couldnt do, fuck it, ...age.

Whoever approved it probably hoped it was a dyslexic ITK signing up.

Said to Mick on the sidelines that NSG was a 'very safe pair of hands'......very Mike Hooper.....esque........that's a compliment btw.........

NSG/BTK's readiness to play the sweeper keeper role was infuriating for us reds, given the amount of decent through balls he cut out  :weep:

:lol: It was infuriating for me too, with my defenders wandering off all over the place ;)

NSG/BTK's readiness to play the sweeper keeper role was infuriating for us reds, given the amount of decent through balls he cut out  :weep:

:lol: It was infuriating for me too, with my defenders wandering off all over the place ;)

:lol:

I don't know about your team but we all lost our shape within 10 or so minutes of the start of each half. It was carnage from then on, though overall it didn't go as badly as I thought it might!

Although I am going to crack out the "we didn't have a keeper" excuse  :shifty:

I don't know about your team but we all lost our shape within 10 or so minutes of the start of each half. It was carnage from then on, though overall it didn't go as badly as I thought it might!

best keeper in prem wouldnt have saved my goal!

Also:

Blue GK - made two or three excellent saves, recall one in the first  when the reds really should have scored (4 v 2).

NorthernGimp - two things immediately half spring to mind 1) the simply awful corner that sailed over the bar in the first half, 2) the referee waving play on after the Gimp handled a throw-in, lost possession and then dived in on the floor and caught the ball, before dropping it, in an attempt to win it back :lol: would have a been a good tackle if your hands and feet were swapped over!

;D

I haven't played for years, leave me be.

to be fair we were out played in midfield because they had two of the best players on the park in the middle, i ended up either playing centre half or centre mid for the whole game and just alternating between the two, the shape and discipline of our team was pretty much awful. if we'd had a keeper it would've been closer though, no doubt.