Newcastle United 2 - 2 Stoke City - 06/12/08 - Post match reaction from page 16

JH

Just going by the 60 minute highlights on Sky -

Very disappointing result, because although Stoke are dangerous at set pieces, in open play they looked the poorest side I've seen in the Premiership this season.

The longer the game went on, the more we seemed to struggle to hold on to the ball. The injury to Guthrie didn't help - after that, the midfield looked a bit of a mess, but with Butt and Barton both out, Kinnear wasn't flush with options. However, it's also a problem that neither Owen nor Martins are great at holding the ball up.

Tin hat time, but our best performances this season have come with Shola in the side.

Which ones?

I was thinking Man City, West Brom (first half) and Villa.

So three home games basically.

Very disappointing result, because although Stoke are dangerous at set pieces, in open play they looked the poorest side I've seen in the Premiership this season.

The longer the game went on, the more we seemed to struggle to hold on to the ball. The injury to Guthrie didn't help - after that, the midfield looked a bit of a mess, but with Butt and Barton both out, Kinnear wasn't flush with options. However, it's also a problem that neither Owen nor Martins are great at holding the ball up.

Tin hat time, but our best performances this season have come with Shola in the side.

I think Shola and Viduka are fairly interchangeable, unsurprisingly I'd rather have the latter in the first 11 though.

Yes, they fulfil pretty much the same role. I'd prefer Shola though, because I think a good, physical centre back can completely blot Viduka out of a game.

How can you seriously sit there and call him awful and Owen "crap"?

No doubt you'll immediately come back at me and condescend as I could only watch the game via a stream but I still think you're prone to exaggeration. You know as I do that Owen needs service, and if he doesn't get that can be anonymous. I felt Jonas was providing him with some of said service in the first half which makes it hard to understand why Kinnear moved him around for the second. N'Zogbia and Geremi weren't much better/worse.

Yes he was average and anonymous at best in the second half but so was the whole team.

Owen as captain should have offered a lot more in my book, especially in the second half. Its awful that a bloke that wont commit himself to the club is the captain of our Newcastle United. That makes him a top grade wanker imo and as soon as he's gone the better.

Jose is generally crap and anyone who suggests otherwise, well they have a twisted view on the game.

That's why you gave him 5???

Yep. 2 goals and nothing else. Frankly, i expect more.

Which ones?

Man City was a decent result (despite the fact we chucked it away again) but we created no real chances. Against Villa we were lucky to take the lead in the second half so Joe had no chance to tell the players to shit themselves.

Which ones?

I don't think his good performances have been confined to those three games. I think he's played well throughout. If it wasn't for the pressure to play Owen, I don't think he'd have been dropped for the Chelsea game.

Whatever the formation, we need someone up front who can hold on to the ball.

No doubt you'll immediately come back at me and condescend as I could only watch the game via a stream but I still think you're prone to exaggeration. You know as I do that Owen needs service, and if he doesn't get that can be anonymous. I felt Jonas was providing him with some of said service in the first half which makes it hard to understand why Kinnear moved him around for the second. N'Zogbia and Geremi weren't much better/worse.

Yes he was average and anonymous at best in the second half but so was the whole team.

Owen as captain should have offered a lot more in my book, especially in the second half. Its awful that a bloke that wont commit himself to the club is the captain of our Newcastle United. That makes him a top grade wanker imo and as soon as he's gone the better.

Jose is generally crap and anyone who suggests otherwise, well they have a twisted view on the game.

erm....ok, then. I'd take that, you see

I'm not sure about putting tin hat on, maybe you should take your tin glasses off.  Our first half performance yesterday was very good, we lost the 2 points when the manager screwed up.  Putting Shola on wouldn't have changed our second half performance, it probably would have changed the first though.

If you're going to count West Brom, you have to count today because we were as good in the first half as we've been all season.

I agree, for the first time under Kinnear I thought we were a football team in the first half, the second half was a reality check.

Given 6

Beye- 5

Enrique -3 - Useless as always

Colo- 4

Bass

Guthrie- 7- Great until hooked through injury

Guti-4 Completly ineffective

Geremi- 5- OK

CNZ- 6- Did OK

Owen-5- Great first half

Martins- See above

Viduka- 3- Terribly useless

Cacapa-3 Clown

Harsh to the point of being ridiculous.

Whats harsh? I watched all 90 minutes of that drivel. I guess you were set with an internet stream.

Yeah..I watched it on this internet stream which just so happens to be 100 percent legitimate and legal :razz: But I still watched all 90 minutes. don't know how that prevents me from doing so in all honesty. I think all your ratings are too low. Even the simple things of giving Cacapa and Viduka 3's are just spiteful, nasty, and wrong. The rating of N'Zogbia being higher than Owen, Oba, and Jonas tells me that if you were at the match, you were sitting behind a pole or something.

Where would four goals get him, 7 rating?

Just seen the match and where the fuck was Beye in the second-half? Sure he wasn't playing in his natural position but he was completely invisible, I even forgot he was on the pitch for a good spell of the second-half.  Really disappointed at how easily Coloccini was beaten for the first goal, for a 10m defender he should have done a lot better.

I wonder how much influence Beye has on the back line in terms of organising and communicating, because the difference (even allowing for the dropping back etc) once he wasn't in there was ridiculous. We went from a reasonably solid functional outfit to a typical Newcastle calamity; all at sea. And that's ignoring the goals we let in.

I wonder how much influence Beye has on the back line in terms of organising and communicating, because the difference (even allowing for the dropping back etc) once he wasn't in there was ridiculous. We went from a reasonably solid functional outfit to a typical Newcastle calamity; all at sea. And that's ignoring the goals we let in.

I think he's the main man. Before the Boro game, he took the other three aside and was giving them instructions and encouragement.

I think he's the main man. Before the Boro game, he took the other three aside and was giving them instructions and encouragement.

The manager should know if this the case, of course. :rolleyes:

mebbe he should be captain.

what was that game he fought to win a corner in the 90th min, pumped the crowd up after doing so, then scored from it? inspirational stuff.

as  much to do with the midfield not having a clue what to do because of the un ncecessary changes. if guthrie went off in jured then coloccini into centre mid (where he played half a season for deportivo) taylor into the back 4 and the team keeps it's shape.

Given 6

Beye- 5

Enrique -3 - Useless as always

Colo- 4

Bass

Guthrie- 7- Great until hooked through injury

Guti-4 Completly ineffective

Geremi- 5- OK

CNZ- 6- Did OK

Owen-5- Great first half

Martins- See above

Viduka- 3- Terribly useless

Cacapa-3 Clown

Harsh to the point of being ridiculous.

Whats harsh? I watched all 90 minutes of that drivel. I guess you were set with an internet stream.

Yeah..I watched it on this internet stream which just so happens to be 100 percent legitimate and legal :razz: But I still watched all 90 minutes. don't know how that prevents me from doing so in all honesty. I think all your ratings are too low. Even the simple things of giving Cacapa and Viduka 3's are just spiteful, nasty, and wrong. The rating of N'Zogbia being higher than Owen, Oba, and Jonas tells me that if you were at the match, you were sitting behind a pole or something.

He deserves a pole stuck up him for those ratings. :)

How f***ing depressing btw that we ended the game with six defenders on the pitch - four of them centre-halves - and we still conceded the equaliser to a set piece.

Kinnear's fault that the linesman and ref made an appalling decision for the free-kick of course.

How f***ing depressing btw that we ended the game with six defenders on the pitch - four of them centre-halves - and we still conceded the equaliser to a set piece.

Kinnear's fault that the linesman and ref made an appalling decision for the free-kick of course.

It should never have been a free kick. But we got what we deserved from the second half.

Owen as captain should have offered a lot more in my book, especially in the second half. Its awful that a bloke that wont commit himself to the club is the captain of our Newcastle United. That makes him a top grade w***** imo and as soon as he's gone the better.

Where would four goals get him, 7 rating?

Just seen the match and where the f*** was Beye in the second-half? Sure he wasn't playing in his natural position but he was completely invisible, I even forgot he was on the pitch for a good spell of the second-half.  Really disappointed at how easily Coloccini was beaten for the first goal, for a 10m defender he should have done a lot better.

Honest question but what could Coloccini have done differently there, apart from concede a penalty?

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and praise the attacker, and Fuller did brilliantly there.

Guest Heneage

Coloccini, as much as I love him often gets ghosted past far too easily for a guy with a nice amount of pace

I was shocked when Fuller beat him, I just thought how did you not see that coming.

Coloccini, as much as I love him often gets ghosted past far too easily for a guy with a nice amount of pace

Yeah and didn't manage to make a recovery either. Sure Fuller did well to go pass him but Coloccini should have dealt with it better, turned more quickly and put some pressure on Fuller instead of giving him  the whole time in the world to pick a run in the box.

mebbe he should be captain.

what was that game he fought to win a corner in the 90th min, pumped the crowd up after doing so, then scored from it? inspirational stuff.

I couldn't understand why you would break up a back four that in the 2 and a half games have done well.  One of the first things that happened in the second half was that Beye and Taylor went for the same ball which was a sign of the confusion in defence that was to come.