Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

It sounds like he wants to see where we end up.  If he was going then he may as well say "thanks, but I'm off at end the season".  The only reason you would delay the announcement is if you want to see where we finish or if we win a cup.  Perhaps if we get in to Europe he will sign, if not then he moves?

Or he's off just doesn't want us to know it for sure so that some fans go against him...

It sounds like he wants to see where we end up.  If he was going then he may as well say "thanks, but I'm off at end the season".  The only reason you would delay the announcement is if you want to see where we finish or if we win a cup.  Perhaps if we get in to Europe he will sign, if not then he moves?

That's what I think too.  Fair play to him, and it is up to us whether we can make a decent run in the 2nd half of the EPL. Now it sounds like if we get a UEFA spot he'll stay.

Guest toonlass

Not amused at all. He knows he cannot arrange a deal to go to another Premiership club in England in January. So he has decided to stay here, play and see where we end up. Europe and he stays, non-European place and he goes. Bollox!

Fair enough, maybe wants to see who we bring in in January and if there is any sign that we'll actually progress as a club.

He's delaying the announcement, not the decision. He's already made up his mind.

Don't really see the point in this, if i'm honest. ???

Depends on interpretation perhaps; they're now saying he's delaying the decision.

Oh right.

Well i guess it's just a case of sitting tight and seeing what happens then. Meaning nothing's changed. We might aswell carry on with the glass half-full approach, if he's still scoring goals for us and looking a threat then everything's alright in the short-term. Him signing on was always going to be a nice bonus, anyhow...

In his position, who wouldnt just wait to become a free agent and see what the best deal he could get (if its not lined up already)

He did it with Liverpool and he had a lot more of an afinity with them than he has with us so its no surprise

I will be disappointed to see him leave though.

Guest toonlass

In his position, who wouldnt just wait to become a free agent and see what the best deal he could get (if its not lined up already)

He did it with Liverpool and he had a lot more of an afinity with them than he has with us so its no surprise

How would he, as he grew up as an Evertonian?

From his pov I can't blame him - I wouldn't sign for this club  with such an indeterminate future (and this includes if Ashley dropped the sale).

It also makes my opinion on the outcome more likely - Ashley will sell him in January.

Guest toonlass

Take the captaincy off him. If he is not prepared to commit to the club how will that affect other players! The captain is not committed so why should anyone else be!

How would he, as he grew up as an Evertonian?

Just as he had been there since he was a schoolboy - gave a greater tie to them than he has with developed with us.

Even now I am sure I heard somewhere that he is more red than blue these days - could be idle tabloid shite of course.

Either way, if he did it to Liverpool, he wont think twice about doing it to us.

David Craig reckons the club and fans should be "heartened" by the decision.

It's difficult to say. Ordinarily I'd say it was relatively positive but given Owen's stock and history it seems a bit expected.

Im more worried about what signals this sends out to future targets than i am about MO the player himself.  Dont get me wrong. He's a great player but not the same he once was and i'll be surprised if he's going to stay fit for the rest of the season anyway..

Take the captaincy off him. If he is not prepared to commit to the club how will that affect other players! The captain is not committed so why should anyone else be!

Bollocks. Owen is honouring his contract, and he is entitled to leave at the end of it if he wants (as with any footballer).  Taking the captain arm band off him is the exact type of childish shit that would help him speed up his decision to leave, not stay.

More interested in seeing if he gets back in the England squad rather than us getting into Europe IMO.

I assume you're being ironic?

Why?

Oh sorry, I just thought the whole "Owen loves England more than us" shite had been put to bed?

His priority has always been England, I'm surprised you're even doubting that.

Not that I've got a problem with it as long as he performs on the pitch for us, but I don't think there's any doubt that his priority is getting back in the England set up rather than a few Uefa cup games in front of 10,000 people somewhere in Eastern Europe.