Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

Didn't Liverpool sell him because they felt he was trying to run his contract out?

Five years later he's spinning the same old stories here.

He signed a pre-contract with RM in Jan iirc - either way, he moved on a free.

He was sold for £8 million.

Didn't Liverpool sell him because they felt he was trying to run his contract out?

Five years later he's spinning the same old stories here.

They sold him with a year left. If he'd hung on then like he's doing now, the way Liverpool did well in the Champions League that season, chances are he'd have stayed in the end. Huge difference.

They sold him because he was messing them around over a contract and they felt he was doing it to walk away on a free.

So the question now is whether Ashley will sell him in January.

I doubt it! If we sell him we wont get much for him, keepng him instead might result in a higher league position when the season ends and that means more money. And also there's not the same risk of us gettng relegated if he stays

I agree with NE5, he's waiting to see how we are doing and will make a footballing decision.  He's 29 and will want the best chance of winning something before his career is over, I don't blame him.

Take the captaincy off him. If he is not prepared to commit to the club how will that affect other players! The captain is not committed so why should anyone else be!

Bollocks. Owen is honouring his contract, and he is entitled to leave at the end of it if he wants (as with any footballer).  Taking the captain arm band off him is the exact type of childish shit that would help him speed up his decision to leave, not stay.

It would cause more aggro than it is worth but I also am not happy that our captain is unwilling to commit to the club. Obviously as a player he's well within his rights to run down his contract, but it hardly sends out a great message to the rest of the team if their leader isn't willing to pledge his future here.

I'm glad he's staying for now, he's a valuable player but it's going to piss me off to see him wearing the armband.

Good riddance, Owen has been nothing but a hindrance to Newcastle since the day he broke his foot at White Heart Lane. Months and months on the bench, raping us of millions, when he finally gets back and starts scoring all we get is rumours and will he stay will he go. We dont need that at this club, I for one would enjoy football more without it. My only problem is he cost us a lot of money and will go for nothing and will of course need replaced. Im sure people will be annoyed when he leaves, but if we replace him with a striker who scores more goals, plays more games and isnt linked away from our club week in week out, then it will be a case of "Michael who?", and that isnt as hard to do as people might think, Oba Martins is an example of that.

Guest The Libertine

I agree with NE5, he's waiting to see how we are doing and will make a footballing decision.  He's 29 and will want the best chance of winning something before his career is over, I don't blame him.

still expect an argument.

and that isnt as hard to do as people might think, Oba Martins is an example of that.

Not on the same fucking planet.

Or in the same team come the summer. I think I'll stick with the one wearing our shirt tbh.

he's treating us like we're fucking stupid or something.

yeah, we know you want to go, Owen.  Just come out and say it, ffs.

If he wanted to go that much, he could leave in the next window. Stop being so close-minded.

and that isnt as hard to do as people might think, Oba Martins is an example of that.

Not on the same fucking planet.

He isnt as good as Owen, but he is rarely injured and scores plenty of goals. We need to face facts, we cant attract another Michael Owen, at least not for another while. Its players like Martins who are perfect to replace him.

Good riddance, Owen has been nothing but a hindrance to Newcastle since the day he broke his foot at White Heart Lane. Months and months on the bench, raping us of millions, when he finally gets back and starts scoring all we get is rumours and will he stay will he go. We dont need that at this club, I for one would enjoy football more without it. My only problem is he cost us a lot of money and will go for nothing and will of course need replaced. Im sure people will be annoyed when he leaves, but if we replace him with a striker who scores more goals, plays more games and isnt linked away from our club week in week out, then it will be a case of "Michael who?", and that isnt as hard to do as people might think, Oba Martins is an example of that.

Get a grip.

He's pure class and that is very hard to replace. And he's not the one spreading the rumours.

"nothing but a hindrance"... stunning logic.

If he wanted to go that much, he could leave in the next window.

He cant as the club wont sell him and he knows that. Also i think he does want to go, but not until the end of the season, which is fair enough really.

He cant as the club wont sell him and he knows that. Also i think he does want to go, but not until the end of the season, which is fair enough really.

So what the fuck are you moaning about then?

Fair play to him.  You really can't blame him.  He doesn't know who our owners or manager will be next season,  or how ambitious we'll be.  Anyone in his position would be a fucking idiot to sign it now.

Heres hoping we have a good few months as a club and he decides to keep his future with us :thup:

Get a grip.

He's pure class and that is very hard to replace. And he's not the one spreading the rumours.

I never said he was spreading any rumours

Guest justin99.

he's treating us like we're f***ing stupid or something.

He could easily leave if he wanted to.

"I want to leave in january joe"  easy as that.

So your real problem is the current transfer and contract of employment arrangement in the professional football industry.