Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

he's treating us like we're fucking stupid or something.

yeah, we know you want to go, Owen.  Just come out and say it, ffs.

If he wanted to go that much, he could leave in the next window.

He cant as the club wont sell him and he knows that. Also i think he does want to go, but not until the end of the season, which is fair enough really.

So what the fuck are you moaning about then?

Wind your fucking neck in. Where am I moaning about him leaving? None of my posts indicated that it wasnt fair enough that he was leaving. Dont fucking patronise me either

Good riddance, Owen has been nothing but a hindrance to Newcastle since the day he broke his foot at White Heart Lane. Months and months on the bench, raping us of millions, when he finally gets back and starts scoring all we get is rumours and will he stay will he go. We dont need that at this club, I for one would enjoy football more without it. My only problem is he cost us a lot of money and will go for nothing and will of course need replaced. Im sure people will be annoyed when he leaves, but if we replace him with a striker who scores more goals, plays more games and isnt linked away from our club week in week out, then it will be a case of "Michael who?", and that isnt as hard to do as people might think, Oba Martins is an example of that.

Get a grip.

He's pure class and that is very hard to replace. And he's not the one spreading the rumours.

I never said he was spreading any rumours

Well what are you on about then? He comes back, scores a fair number of goals for us (no complaints here for the most part) - what do you expect him to be doing?

He's not the one making the speculation. All he has said is that he has no part in it and wants to make his mind up on probably his last contract for a major club. He's 29, this is important to him, and I can understand that. But nah, you're right, good riddance. Good and well-priced strikers like him are so easy to get nowadays aren't they?

I wonder if he's waiting to see if the club will be sold, what levels of investment they will make and who will be the next manager?

Good riddance, Owen has been nothing but a hindrance to Newcastle since the day he broke his foot at White Heart Lane. Months and months on the bench, raping us of millions, when he finally gets back and starts scoring all we get is rumours and will he stay will he go. We dont need that at this club, I for one would enjoy football more without it. My only problem is he cost us a lot of money and will go for nothing and will of course need replaced. Im sure people will be annoyed when he leaves, but if we replace him with a striker who scores more goals, plays more games and isnt linked away from our club week in week out, then it will be a case of "Michael who?", and that isnt as hard to do as people might think, Oba Martins is an example of that.

So your real problem is the current transfer and contract of employment arrangement in the professional football industry.

Erm no, im allowed to be abit annoyed we are losing him for nothing arnt I?

He cant as the club wont sell him and he knows that. Also i think he does want to go, but not until the end of the season, which is fair enough really.

Wind your fucking neck in. Where am I moaning about him leaving? None of my posts indicated that it wasnt fair enough that he was leaving. Dont fucking patronise me either

How is that patronising? Someone disagreeing with you doesn't equal them being patronising.

What are you having a go at him then for? You want him to commit to us from what I can gather.

Didn't Liverpool sell him because they felt he was trying to run his contract out?

Not 100% sure of that but Liverpool didn't want another Macca situation on there hands were they ended up getting nothing.

thats what Benitez said

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3567702.stm

:thup:

Macca shafted them by not joining Barca for £12.5 million.

Didn't Liverpool sell him because they felt he was trying to run his contract out?

Not 100% sure of that but Liverpool didn't want another Macca situation on there hands were they ended up getting nothing.

thats what Benitez said

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3567702.stm

:thup:

Macca shafted them by not joining Barca for £12.5 million.

Interesting comment about them waiting a year for him to sign.

I wonder if he's waiting to see if the club will be sold, what levels of investment they will make and who will be the next manager?

Of course that's what he's doing. It's not like Butt, Ameobi & Harper who will be desperate for a contract no matter what, just because no-one better will come along, he'll want to see how the team and club's looking before committing to that.

So your real problem is the current transfer and contract of employment arrangement in the professional football industry.

Erm no, im allowed to be abit annoyed we are losing him for nothing arnt I?

How do you know we are loosing him for nothing? And even if he was to leave at the end of the season im sure t wouldn't be for nothing. Have to se it from a wider perspective imo...

Get a grip.

He's pure class and that is very hard to replace. And he's not the one spreading the rumours.

Well what are you on about then? He comes back, scores a fair number of goals for us (no complaints here for the most part) - what do you expect him to be doing?

He's not the one making the speculation. All he has said is that he has no part in it and wants to make his mind up on probably his last contract for a major club. He's 29, this is important to him, and I can understand that. But nah, you're right, good riddance. Good and well-priced strikers like him are so easy to get nowadays aren't they?

Where do you get off with your sarcastic tripe? I never said he started any rumours i said we could do without the rumours week in week out. The amount of money he has cost us in the past 4 years, next to the amount of goals we have got out of him, added to the constant rumours and talk of him leaving, also added to the fact it looks like he wants to go, if he does then good riddance, i wont be sitting pissed off that he is gone come the summer thats for sure. I never said good strikers are easy to come by, but we can get someone in who will get us the goals we need.

Did anyone really think this would play out any differently?

If you apply some very simple logic to it then it's obvious, simply ask yourself what would be the costs and benefits to him of each of his options:

Sign the contract:

Costs: £20k a week lower than he's on now, committed to a club whose future is uncertain, no chance of signing for a club in a better position.

Benefits: It's still a lot of money, erm... ...certainty? I'm really struggling here.

Definitely reject the contract:

Costs: Possibility that he'd get sold to the highest bidder - who might be shit - and end up somewhere he doesn't really want to be (again), possibility that there simply isn't anyone interested at all, the likelihood that whoever was interested wouldn't want to pay anything up front in January when they could get him for nowt in the summer leaving him with a very awkward few months left to play here, the fact that of those clubs that might be interested a number of them are in an equally perilous position as us - I seriously doubt he'd want to play in the Championship, whatever money he was on - etc.

Benefits: It might force the hand of any of the big four teams to make a move, he could move to a more stable club and perhaps benefit form that in terms of winning something or playing in Europe or whatever, that's about it.

Delay his decision until the summer:

Costs: None.

Benefits: All of the above are still options, things may change in his favour, he can go anywhere he wants (if they're interested obviously), more likely that he'll get the move he wants if he's on a free, he can always fall back on our offer if nothing else appears or what does appear isn't considered good enough and in the meantime he's earning £20k more a week.

It's a total no-brainer as far as I can see.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

If you're going to come out with idiotic shit only a 15 year old retardwould spout prepare to get patronised.

Get a grip.

Where do you get off with your sarcastic tripe? I never said he started any rumours i said we could do without the rumours week in week out. The amount of money he has cost us in the past 4 years, next to the amount of goals we have got out of him, added to the constant rumours and talk of him leaving, also added to the fact it looks like he wants to go, if he does then good riddance, i wont be sitting pissed off that he is gone come the summer thats for sure. I never said good strikers are easy to come by, but we can get someone in who will get us the goals we need.

We got £10m from FA over his biggest injury, so in fairness he hasn't cost us for all the time he has been injured.

If you're going to come out with idiotic shit only a 15 year old retardwould spout prepare to get patronised.

Wow look another top class post from AS9, go play with traffic you waste of oxygen.

:lol:

Guest justin99.

all the media attention on Owen is a benefit for Newcastle.

the more exposure = more $$

Owen has easily covered his transfer fee and wages

Did anyone really think this would play out any differently?

If you apply some very simple logic to it then it's obvious, simply ask yourself what would be the costs and benefits to him of each of his options:

Sign the contract:

Costs: £20k a week lower than he's on now, committed to a club whose future is uncertain, no chance of signing for a club in a better position.

Benefits: It's still a lot of money, erm... ...certainty? I'm really struggling here.

Definitely reject the contract:

Costs: Possibility that he'd get sold to the highest bidder - who might be s*** - and end up somewhere he doesn't really want to be (again), possibility that there simply isn't anyone interested at all, the likelihood that whoever was interested wouldn't want to pay anything up front in January when they could get him for nowt in the summer leaving him with a very awkward few months left to play here, the fact that of those clubs that might be interested a number of them are in an equally perilous position as us - I seriously doubt he'd want to play in the Championship, whatever money he was on - etc.

Benefits: It might force the hand of any of the big four teams to make a move, he could move to a more stable club and perhaps benefit form that in terms of winning something or playing in Europe or whatever, that's about it.

Delay his decision until the summer:

Costs: None.

Benefits: All of the above are still options, things may change in his favour, he can go anywhere he wants (if they're interested obviously), more likely that he'll get the move he wants if he's on a free, he can always fall back on our offer if nothing else appears or what does appear isn't considered good enough and in the meantime he's earning £20k more a week.

It's a total no-brainer as far as I can see.

Stop talking sense man...he's a traitor omg!!!!1

He's perfectly entitled to take time in order to make the right decision. It will be the last chance he has to make a significant impact on a sport he has been a credit to.

I hope by the time he makes that decision Newcastle United have convinced him that his ambitions will be best suited staying here.

If he does return to the north west I wish him well, it's a shame so much of his time here was blighted by serious injury but he has scored some vital goals for us (none more so than Birmingham away last season) and it has been a pleasure to watch a truly world class player in a B&W shirt.

I'm sure he doesn't mean to get injured.

He seems fit and less injury-prone at the moment, so no, no good riddance from me. The past is the past.

Calm down by the way, I'm not actually trying to wind you up.

I just think it isnt the end of the world if he goes. He has only been key to us since last season when he was fit and scoring, if he goes and we replace him with a player similar to Martins i.e. will score a similar amount of goals, will get more appearances in than Owen would and wont be linked away constantly, then we will look back at the whole Owen saga and be glad its in the past.

I agree with NE5

:lol:

Made me chuckle too.

Praying NE5 puts it in his sig for life.

On a serious note, agreed with both fellas on this one, he's got a huge decision to make, and the club need to show its ready to put itself back where it was the 1st time he signed on, that position being what Villa are doing now.