Another 'Tyne Wear Derby' - Soccer AM tomorrow morning

Guest johnson293

Guest johnson293

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2008/12/12/geordie-dancer-vs-mackem-mover-in-tv-dance-off-72703-22462976/

THIS Saturday, the region’s footballing Lord of the Dance will be decided as these two Newcastle and Sunderland groovers go head-to-head on national television.

The Geordie Dancer, David Johnson, became a cult hero in 2004 when his energetic pre-match moves earned him a following of thousands on video sharing website YouTube.

The supermarket worker was invited to perform on the pitch at St James’s Park and was catapulted into the national spotlight.

But now a new challenger has stepped forward in the form of devoted Black Cat fan Steve Turner, dubbed the Mackem Mover after he was spotted by cameras entertaining crowds with his wacky moves at the derby.

The barmy pair are now set to fight it out in a dance-off, live on Sky Sports programme Soccer AM tomorrow morning.

And in the equivalent of a pre-season friendly, shoppers in Newcastle were given a glimpse of the spectacle as each limbered up to practise their “unique” routines.

David, 38, Of Witton Gilbert, Durham, said: “I’m really looking forward to the dance-off. Dancing is like football – it’s all about what happens on the day, so I’ll need to put in a good performance.

“When I first saw Steve dancing on the telly I had a little chuckle, to be honest. I thought he looked funny.”

David is still wowing boozers in city centre bar City Vaults before every home game.

He said: “My routine is very much the same, but what I may lack in technique, I make up for in energy and enthusiasm.

“The dance-off is a bit of fun. But there is also a lot of pride at stake, like there is whenever Newcastle and Sunderland are involved.

“I’ve been popping out a few moves today, doing some extra stretches and warming up. I just need people to vote for me on the day.”

Before the derby it was just Steve’s family and pals who were entertained by his moves.

The 45-year-old, who lives in Stanley, is married to Glynis and has children Vanessa, 12, and Scott, 13, is a one-time disco DJ who now works in a warehouse which provides equipment for caravans. He started teaching himself to dance when he was about 17 after being inspired by a variety act called Tick and Tock and popstar Jeffrey Daniel from Shalamar.

He says he has been astounded by the response to his dancing.

Steve said: “This idea is a great one but, with me and my dancing, this has never been about me showing off to people or trying to be clever, it's always been to entertain people and have a bit of fun.

“More people should follow our example and just let themselves go and have some fun.”

A spokesman for Soccer AM said: “All the presenters, especially Helen, are very excited about the Tyne Wear dance-off. They both have very unique styles, and we thought it was the only way to decide who was the best.”

The Geordie Dancer and the Mackem Mover will be dancing live on Soccer Am on Sky Sports 2 at 10.30am tomorrow.

The winner will be decided by a phone vote.

:frantic:  :crazy2:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2008/12/12/geordie-dancer-vs-mackem-mover-in-tv-dance-off-72703-22462976/

THIS Saturday, the region’s footballing Lord of the Dance will be decided as these two Newcastle and Sunderland groovers go head-to-head on national television.

The Geordie Dancer, David Johnson, became a cult hero in 2004 when his energetic pre-match moves earned him a following of thousands on video sharing website YouTube.

The supermarket worker was invited to perform on the pitch at St James’s Park and was catapulted into the national spotlight.

But now a new challenger has stepped forward in the form of devoted Black Cat fan Steve Turner, dubbed the Mackem Mover after he was spotted by cameras entertaining crowds with his wacky moves at the derby.

The barmy pair are now set to fight it out in a dance-off, live on Sky Sports programme Soccer AM tomorrow morning.

And in the equivalent of a pre-season friendly, shoppers in Newcastle were given a glimpse of the spectacle as each limbered up to practise their “unique” routines.

David, 38, Of Witton Gilbert, Durham, said: “I’m really looking forward to the dance-off. Dancing is like football – it’s all about what happens on the day, so I’ll need to put in a good performance.

“When I first saw Steve dancing on the telly I had a little chuckle, to be honest. I thought he looked funny.”

David is still wowing boozers in city centre bar City Vaults before every home game.

He said: “My routine is very much the same, but what I may lack in technique, I make up for in energy and enthusiasm.

“The dance-off is a bit of fun. But there is also a lot of pride at stake, like there is whenever Newcastle and Sunderland are involved.

“I’ve been popping out a few moves today, doing some extra stretches and warming up. I just need people to vote for me on the day.”

Before the derby it was just Steve’s family and pals who were entertained by his moves.

The 45-year-old, who lives in Stanley, is married to Glynis and has children Vanessa, 12, and Scott, 13, is a one-time disco DJ who now works in a warehouse which provides equipment for caravans. He started teaching himself to dance when he was about 17 after being inspired by a variety act called Tick and Tock and popstar Jeffrey Daniel from Shalamar.

He says he has been astounded by the response to his dancing.

Steve said: “This idea is a great one but, with me and my dancing, this has never been about me showing off to people or trying to be clever, it's always been to entertain people and have a bit of fun.

“More people should follow our example and just let themselves go and have some fun.”

A spokesman for Soccer AM said: “All the presenters, especially Helen, are very excited about the Tyne Wear dance-off. They both have very unique styles, and we thought it was the only way to decide who was the best.”

The Geordie Dancer and the Mackem Mover will be dancing live on Soccer Am on Sky Sports 2 at 10.30am tomorrow.

The winner will be decided by a phone vote.

:frantic:  :crazy2:

??? :-[ :lol:

I expect the Mackems to have t-shirts made up within an hour of the result if it goes their way.

DVD,mugs,framed poster,car bumper sticker,T-shirt and in 2018.......................................................

..................the 10year anniversary dinner.

bloke I work with said he came into town with his missus to do Christmas shopping on Monday and saw them being filmed.  Even though he's from the midlands, and supports Arsenal, he said he couldn't find it in himself to laugh at us as he was too embarrassed.

On a sidenote, the Geordie Dancer works, or did work, at Sainsburys at the Arnison Centre.

Guest Heneage

Is he still there, I know he was few years back, as I went in to do some shopping asked him where the deoderant was then realised on my way out it was him.

Tbh the whole thing was shit, Soccer am has gone right down the shitter.

Is he still there, I know he was few years back, as I went in to do some shopping asked him where the deoderant was then realised on my way out it was him.

Tbh the whole thing was s***, Soccer am has gone right down the shitter.

Should've told him he needs deodrant, he stinks!  I know this having had the unfortunate experience of sitting next to him at the Coventry cup game a few years back.