Has Zog done enough to get a run in the team?

TRon

Most players are happy to play with the kind of fans backing we give them. I think they would like to work under a decent manager for the most part. It's quite sad that our two most successful managers in the last 20 yrs have been characters who were considered past it a long time ago.

I am going to have to disagree with you on this point.

Most players may think they would like to play in a place like SJP in concept, but the reality is much different. I think most professional players are incapable of playing their best at SJP. Most players would like to think they can handle the pressure, but playing at SJP is akin to playing internationally in many countries (including the US) and they just can't handle it. Despite comparisons with the 80s (being louder/better/more aggro) the crowd is a tremendous amount of pressure and many of the players rightly or wrongly even come to resent it. I think this has become even more of a problem as players wages have skyrocketed and their lives are becoming more and more isolated from the supporters and reality.

Its not all bad though. Some players do very well in this environment (especially when they become cult favourites like Nobby, Ranger, etc). In Zoggy case I think this was only a small factor though, he didn't get on with many of the players and insitutionally we're a shambles.

Most players are happy to play with the kind of fans backing we give them. I think they would like to work under a decent manager for the most part. It's quite sad that our two most successful managers in the last 20 yrs have been characters who were considered past it a long time ago.

I am going to have to disagree with you on this point.

Most players may think they would like to play in a place like SJP in concept, but the reality is much different. I think most professional players are incapable of playing their best at SJP. Most players would like to think they can handle the pressure, but playing at SJP is akin to playing internationally in many countries (including the US) and they just can't handle it. Despite comparisons with the 80s (being louder/better/more aggro) the crowd is a tremendous amount of pressure and many of the players rightly or wrongly even come to resent it. I think this has become even more of a problem as players wages have skyrocketed and their lives are becoming more and more isolated from the supporters and reality.

Its not all bad though. Some players do very well in this environment (especially when they become cult favourites like Nobby, Ranger, etc). In Zoggy case I think this was only a small factor though, he didn't get on with many of the players and insitutionally we're a shambles.

I don't think the cult thing with Ranger has done him any good at all. Might have given him a boost the first couple of appearances but the tussle at Plymouth may be a symptom of the expectation turning to frustration for both himself and the support if we're not careful tbh.

Seems he's another player who had visions of grandeur when he left Newcastle, only to spend the rest of his career knocking around nothing clubs.

Decent player mind.

I do not understand why he thought going to Wigan would further his career.

Steve Bruce.

Seems he's another player who had visions of grandeur when he left Newcastle, only to spend the rest of his career knocking around nothing clubs.

Decent player mind.

I do not understand why he thought going to Wigan would further his career.

Steve Bruce.

According to reports in the Journal Steve Bruce wants him at Sunderland. Might explain his being unsettled at Wigan if bruce is tapping him up.