Has Zog done enough to get a run in the team?

TRon

Guest shearer_206

Would prefer Jonas on the left and Geremi on the right.

He's a complete liability on the ball at times to be honest letting teams hit us on the counter. He's a good player to have on the pitch late on in games when chasing a result, but thats about it.

Not a chance, Geremi is rank! ... If ever there was a liability to give away the ball it was him. At least Zog has pace to retrive the situation if he has made a mistake, Geremi looks like he has running on the spot!

There was a Kinnear pre-game interview that would suggest probably not:

Charles N'Zogbia will return to the scene of one of his darkest days in football on Sunday, under orders to go for the jugular.

The Newcastle midfielder's last visit to Portsmouth two seasons ago ended abruptly at half-time when, with his side losing 1-0, he was hauled off and 'carpeted' by then manager Glenn Roeder in front of his team-mates.

Roeder believed the 22-year-old Frenchman's head had been turned by talk of a move to Arsenal, something which has become a theme running through his career at St James' Park.

But as one of current boss Joe Kinnear's pool of midfielders who can boast full fitness, the France Under-21s international will be unleashed on Pompey and told to do his work where it will hurt the home side most.

Kinnear said: "Charles has got all the ability in the world, but I think he's been fighting himself as much as anything else.

"There's never a week gone by when he's not been leaving us, whether it's coming from his agent or anyone else.

"I have always had high regard for him. But the point was that Damien Duff's been playing out of his skin and Jonas [Gutierrez] has been going reasonably well.

"It's tough. It's hard for me to find places for all three of them, even though people will tell me that Charles can play in the centre of midfield.

"At the same time, I like my midfield players to be able to track back and pick up - and Charles is a very offensive player.

"He's got lots of ability in the last third of the pitch, but I wouldn't want to see Charles hanging around outside our back four in the last third of our pitch.

"It's about putting players in the best positions for them, so you know you're going to get the best out of them."

N'Zogbia therefore gives Kinnear a dilemma.

"Charles is one of the best players we've got at the club high up the pitch. He's got an eye for a goal, and strikes the ball well," added the manager.

"He's got the ability to beat people - but on the defensive side, other people are slightly better and stronger than him. On the attacking side, he's up there with the best of them."

The Magpies head for Fratton Park having lost just two of the 10 games they have played under Kinnear - but with only two wins to their names, they are hovering just a point clear of the Barclays Premier League's relegation zone.

I must have missed Duff playing out of his skin. Maybe when he was out of it, he left his hamstrings behind.

Guest shearer_206

Given his performance in the centre against Stoke I think we should keep Geremi as competition for the CM role.

He's not anywhere near quick enough or skillful enough for the wing.

Coulnd't agree more. I always thought that was his best position anyway, is he has a 'best position'

Charles N'Zogbia will return to the scene of one of his darkest days in football on Sunday, under orders to go for the jugular.

The Newcastle midfielder's last visit to Portsmouth two seasons ago ended abruptly at half-time when, with his side losing 1-0, he was hauled off and 'carpeted' by then manager Glenn Roeder in front of his team-mates.

Roeder believed the 22-year-old Frenchman's head had been turned by talk of a move to Arsenal, something which has become a theme running through his career at St James' Park.

But as one of current boss Joe Kinnear's pool of midfielders who can boast full fitness, the France Under-21s international will be unleashed on Pompey and told to do his work where it will hurt the home side most.

Kinnear said: "Charles has got all the ability in the world, but I think he's been fighting himself as much as anything else.

"There's never a week gone by when he's not been leaving us, whether it's coming from his agent or anyone else.

"I have always had high regard for him. But the point was that Damien Duff's been playing out of his skin and Jonas [Gutierrez] has been going reasonably well.

"It's tough. It's hard for me to find places for all three of them, even though people will tell me that Charles can play in the centre of midfield.

"At the same time, I like my midfield players to be able to track back and pick up - and Charles is a very offensive player.

"He's got lots of ability in the last third of the pitch, but I wouldn't want to see Charles hanging around outside our back four in the last third of our pitch.

"It's about putting players in the best positions for them, so you know you're going to get the best out of them."

"Charles is one of the best players we've got at the club high up the pitch. He's got an eye for a goal, and strikes the ball well," added the manager.

"He's got the ability to beat people - but on the defensive side, other people are slightly better and stronger than him. On the attacking side, he's up there with the best of them."

The Magpies head for Fratton Park having lost just two of the 10 games they have played under Kinnear - but with only two wins to their names, they are hovering just a point clear of the Barclays Premier League's relegation zone.

I must have missed Duff playing out of his skin. Maybe when he was out of it, he left his hamstrings behind.

Kinnear needs to lay off the acid if he thinks Duff was playing out of his skin.

Kinnear needs to lay off the acid if he thinks Duff was playing out of his skin.

missed that from kinnear before, fucking terrifying

maybe duff gives good head or something, his continued presence is inexplicable

He wasn't outstanding yesterday but he was decent enough. Better than Duff by a long way.

Funny thing about Jonas, he drifts inside no matter which wing he plays on. If Habib was any cop going forward we'd have a fairly dangerous right flank.

He wasn't outstanding yesterday but he was decent enough. Better than Duff by a long way.

Funny thing about Jonas, he drifts inside no matter which wing he plays on. If Habib was any cop going forward we'd have a fairly dangerous right flank.

He's alright taking people on and getting forward he just doesn't seem to have a clue what to do when he's in a dangerous position.  If you could teach him how to cross I honestly think he'd be one of the best rb's in the league if the not the best.

He's alright taking people on and getting forward he just doesn't seem to have a clue what to do when he's in a dangerous position.  If you could teach him how to cross I honestly think he'd be one of the best rb's in the league if the not the best.

He's a very good player but is no Bosingwa

True but if he could attack better he'd be outstanding.  He never seems to get any recognition outside of toon fans.  probably good otherwise someone would nick him.

True but if he could attack better he'd be outstanding.  He never seems to get any recognition outside of toon fans.  probably good otherwise someone would nick him.

Well, he ain't gonna learn now!

I reckon Glen Johnson might be a good option to take over from Habib. Better going forward, not as great at defending though!

Duff is one of the biggest waste considering value for money! If anything Kinnear should really think about selling Duff in January just to free around 75K(if it's not even as much as 90K) more for wages per week! Such a waste :frantic:

I think making profit was one of the most important things for MA but keeping such players Duff, Smith, Geremi, Viduka is just insane! It's around 230K per week just in wages and I guess the real sum is way bigger

Guest The German

Damien Duff has played 78 matches in the last 4 years scoring 5 goals and making 2 assists.

For a winger who should make assists it's around 7,75 mio. Euros per assist. Sell him! Waste of money we fully need...

N'Zogbia's confidence sky-high after Pompey win

Dec 16 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Charles N'Zogbia

CHARLES N'ZOGBIA has revealed how confidence is once again flowing at Newcastle United after their 3-0 win at Portsmouth.

Fratton Park hasn’t been the best venue for the flying Frenchman – after a bust-up with former boss Glenn Roeder at the ground in 2007 he was hauled off at the break then kicked out of the dressing room for the post-match debriefing exercise.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/16/n-zogbia-s-confidence-sky-high-after-pompey-win-72703-22486950/

• 1 year later...

His sulky non performance at Old Trafford has been noted by a few journos today. I didn't think it would take long for the jumped up little tosser to get fed up at Wigan.

Guest toonlass

Apparantly he wants a move to Birmingham, which surprised McLeish when it was mentioned. Is Wigan not fulfilling his "BIG TEAM" dreams like?

Guest toonlass

I'm glad he's gone we've done much better without him.  :nope:

We would have been in exactly the same place if he had stayed. Over-rated player imo.