Has Zog done enough to get a run in the team?

TRon

If the fella had a little bit more heart about him, he'd be a fantastic striker. A good manager would see that his best position is up front. In a couple years' time.

Bobby Robson said "N'Zogbia is a fascinating case. I signed him as a teenager and he was one of the most naturally gifted players of that age I'd ever seen.  He seemed to have some kind of dispute with Glenn Roeder and we rarely saw him, which I couldn't understand. Sam Allardyce did play him but he seemed to have to fit in wherever there was an injury."

Zog is the one player who would have gone on to the world stage had he been managed correctly at the right times. Not Viana, not Bramble, and not Jenas. Zog was SBR's real gem find.

There you go Mick, there's another one.

In terms of pure raw talent for a teenager, who else have you seen on our books with that sort of skill and comfort on the ball in the last decade (and more?)

No one, but that doesn't make him brilliant by default.

He briefly showed some promise, but that quickly evaporated. Talk of being a 'world stage' player is laughable.

I think he could of been a player of European pedigree - if that makes sense, obviously not at the Kaka, Ronaldo or Messi stage but more the Rosicky, Nasri, Nani levels. Thought he was supremely gifted but also awfully mismanaged, had a shitty attitude which wasnt handled well throughout his time here, it really hindered his development as a player.

Its amazing how many people fail to acknowledge the poisonous atmosphere we have at the club which hinders the players achievments, of course some players do ok it this environment (Jonas, Bassong, Beye etc) but Im not surpirsed at all by the number of players who have done well since they've left, were they bad players or was it us?

Which is harder to accept...?

spot on post. this is what I was trying to say tbh, and I think I can be excused with it being NYD anarl  :thup:

If the fella had a little bit more heart about him, he'd be a fantastic striker. A good manager would see that his best position is up front. In a couple years' time.

Bobby Robson said "N'Zogbia is a fascinating case. I signed him as a teenager and he was one of the most naturally gifted players of that age I'd ever seen.  He seemed to have some kind of dispute with Glenn Roeder and we rarely saw him, which I couldn't understand. Sam Allardyce did play him but he seemed to have to fit in wherever there was an injury."

Zog is the one player who would have gone on to the world stage had he been managed correctly at the right times. Not Viana, not Bramble, and not Jenas. Zog was SBR's real gem find.

In terms of pure raw talent for a teenager, who else have you seen on our books with that sort of skill and comfort on the ball in the last decade (and more?)

He briefly showed some promise, but that quickly evaporated. Talk of being a 'world stage' player is laughable.

I think he could of been a player of European pedigree - if that makes sense, obviously not at the Kaka, Ronaldo or Messi stage but more the Rosicky, Nasri, Nani levels. Thought he was supremely gifted but also awfully mismanaged, had a shitty attitude which wasnt handled well throughout his time here, it really hindered his development as a player.

Its amazing how many people fail to acknowledge the poisonous atmosphere we have at the club which hinders the players achievments, of course some players do ok it this environment (Jonas, Bassong, Beye etc) but Im not surpirsed at all by the number of players who have done well since they've left, were they bad players or was it us?

nailed

nailed

wahey!! mmr you're back! where you been man? happy new year

Guest toonlass

nailed

I was just wondering that.

nailed

got ran off ages ago when i was pissed up and was drawn into some stuff i shouldn't have, spat my dummy out as a result and became a silent observer

timing worked well 'cause my work went nuts and i'd never have had time to post anyways

nailed

got ran off ages ago when i was pissed up and was drawn into some stuff i shouldn't have, spat my dummy out as a result and became a silent observer

timing worked well 'cause my work went nuts and i'd never have had time to post anyways

Kind of like in your avatar? fkn mods around this place  :no:

nailed

Kind of like in your avatar? fkn mods around this place  :no:

:)

happy new years yourself fella and lady!!!

Pretty strange that the one manager that probably got the best out of, and respect of N'Zogbia, was Souness. Might have had a lot to do with how Souness man-managed him (shock I know) when his father died.

It probably had more to do with the fact that Zog was still a teenager trying to make his name in England and hadn't had a chance to grow too big for his boots yet.

His agent is (maybe was) Willie MacKay right?

Anyone think of a player who he's represented that has gone on to better himself on the pitch? 

Barton is another of MacKay's as far as I recall.

People say the "too big for his boots" stuff and may be right but I can't help think that arseholes like MacKay combined with managerial chaos & ineptitude at NUFC combined to fuck the lad up.  If he wasn't so stinking rich I'd imagine he'd be regretting a lot right now, as it is he probably thinks things are golden! :)

Guest Phil K

Certainly not sh*te.

But nor is he remotely as good as HE seems to think.

Has his moments, like most players.

Thinks he's world class without having to prove it, like 99% of Premiership players.

Zog's now got two for Wigwam.

Two goals and an assist today, since he's a topic of conversation.

He clearly wasn't good enough to start matches for us. That sort of end product is frowned upon in these parts.

He started plenty...... at left back.

All hail the super management at Newcastle United where we managed to make a whole host of players look shit while spending more money that 90% of the clubs in England.

Guest Stephen927

He didn't do himself many favours while he was here. When he did get a chance in his favoured position, he didn't impress for the most part.

Signing Damien Duff when we did didn't do him any favours whatsoever but he should have reacted better. £6m was a good fee for N'Zogbia, it just came at the wrong time.

He didn't do himself many favours while he was here. When he did get a chance in his favoured position, he didn't impress for the most part.

Signing Damien Duff when we did didn't do him any favours whatsoever but he should have reacted better. £6m was a good fee for N'Zogbia, it just came at the wrong time.

£6m was also a good fee for bellamy, that other terrible character who it was impossible to manage. Still, no doubt our stalwart chracters who are all good lads will show the premier teams with their awful temperamental stars like Anelka just why we don't need them.

Guest schmuck

nailed

aye, players aren't some fixed set of attributes, you can pay them a trillion pounds a week, they're still humans whose careers are going to be shaped and affected by the atmosphere around them as much as anything else.

Most players are happy to play with the kind of fans backing we give them. I think they would like to work under a decent manager for the most part. It's quite sad that our two most successful managers in the last 20 yrs have been characters who were considered past it a long time ago.

McLeish thinks twice over £8million N’Zogbia

04:30 PM 04 January, 2010

Alex McLeish is said to be thinking twice over making an offer for Charles N’Zogbia, due to Wigan Athletic Football Club’s mammoth asking price.

The former Newcastle United midfielder has revealed he could quit the DW Stadium club this month, due to what he cites as a lack of progress being made this season.

Birmingham City are known admirers of N’Zogbia, who admits a move to St Andrews is appealing, and McLeish is reportedly willing to pay around £5million for his signature.

However, a report in the Birmingham Mail indicates the Scot is having second thoughts over bidding for the 23-year-old, after hearing of the Latics £8million valuation.

The City manager could well be suffering from the fact that following Carson Yeung’s takeover, it has become common knowledge that he has £40million to spend this month.

http://www.fansfc.com/story/17986.html

Seems he's another player who had visions of grandeur when he left Newcastle, only to spend the rest of his career knocking around nothing clubs.

Decent player mind.

I do not understand why he thought going to Wigan would further his career.